Band Of The Hand

DeepCover333

Awesome! Love it! I bought mine through Vudu (stream anytime), but I'd LOVE to have a physical copy! Congrats!

• Like 1

Have never seen it and have heard a lot of negative things about it.  Does it show a lot of Miami locations?  Thanks.

Yes it does Jim. The Scarface / Calderone house in Key Biscayne is in the film. A lot of filming was done around The Big Pink Restaurant in South Beach and the area around Jerry's Famous Deli is featured in the opening credits. 

• Like 2

I disliked this movie at first but after giving it a rewatch I now think it's good. I guess it grew on me. It's well directed and has the classic Mann style. It moves at a good pace. The story, characters and dialogue are good. It has some good action and shootouts. The soundtrack is really good. There's some good locations in the Everglades and in Miami.

The cast is also really good. James Rmar is great as always and he should've been in the film more. Stephen Lang is very good. The five kids are good and well cast. Laurence Fishburne and Lauren Holly are also good. Izzy is in one scene too. Solid cast.

The big action finale is great and it's like a GTA mission. Overall a good movie and recommended for Vicers.

• Like 4

I watched my new copy again last night, and I would go as far as to say any fan of Vice should give at least give it a try. Definite 80's Miami era feel with the setting and scenes. There were more than a few moments when I felt like Sonny and Rico could easily show up. There are a few scenes that are bit campy, laughable, could have been done a bit better, etc. but I suppose they were probably intended for some comic relief, a technique certainly utilized in Miami Vice as well. 

I also enjoyed some of the elements in this film that were popular themes of that time in cinema...there's a bit of Rambo influence, some tribal vibes (think Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome kids), and then of course a solid dose of Miami drug kingpin, cars, yacht and styles. I think Laurence Fishburne's haircut might be worth the price of admission alone! Also lovely Lauren Holly who does a great job. Bob Dylan does the soundtrack theme song, and just like Vice, a few other tracks of the time are included in key scenes.

Is the acting great? No,not always but somehow that even adds to the charm. Tommy gave a spot-on review above, the ending scene is akin to a GTA mission. I'm not saying this is an outstanding movie by any means.....but fun stuff!  Give it a try if looking for a Michael Mann 80's Vice styled production. I paid too much for my copy, and have since noticed it has now been released on Blu Ray as well.  

"You're all part of each other, fingers on a hand...."

• Like 2

Watching Band of the Hand, great Everglades scenes.  Anyone know where this mansion is?  For what it's worth, the car drives in from what looks like a back road in the Grove through a black iron gate.

Capture 12148.JPG

Capture.JPG

• Like 2

Isn't that THE Miami Vice house on Key Biscayne? (Scarface, Golden Triangle, Yankee Dollar, etc.) 

Looks like the windows, anyway. 

IMG_7132.PNG

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Isn't that THE Miami Vice house on Key Biscayne? (Scarface, Golden Triangle, Yankee Dollar, etc.) 

Looks like the windows, anyway. 

IMG_7132.PNG

I think you are right, should have thought of that.  It makes sense for Mann to use it.  I'll double check the view in several episodes, movies etc.

• Like 2

Trying to figure out where all the shots were filmed.  Since this movie was filmed while Vice was underway in 86 maybe they used one of the same clubs that Mr. Neon had already decorated.  If we can recognize the neon we might be able to pin down where this club scene was filmed.  It doesn't look familiar at the moment.  Any ideas?

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture5.JPG

Capture6.JPG

Capture3.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Crockettt said:

The place where abandoned house was is the current location of Big Pink?

5 hours ago, Tommy Vercetti said:

Yes. There's Something About Mary also had a scene there.

What place are you talking about guys?  Didn't see it in Calderone's.