Belated Hello

EvanFreed

Hello Team Vice.

Found the site back in 15' but had difficulties accessing and finally finding my way back now . Used to belong to a Vice site way back in the stone age of 1997. Since so much time has passed , not sure which one? I know the music archive was compiled by Deb Brown , and Some friends were "Gredo" Goldstein and Dru Mavrow if anyone dates back that far. Also old enough to have caught the series on NBC back in the day and have endless fond memories. Great to see an active community keeping the spirit alive. Back then little content was available other than my vhs tapes and some press photos. Impressed by members who have gone to such great lengths to create content such as Dadrian scoring wish list missing tracks such as Definitely Miami. (I always wanted the "little Miss Dangerous" suite myself but alas it never seemed to surface in Jan's many later releases). Anyway, I'm running on too long, but I just wanted to say thanks for creating a place dedicated to all things Vice and looking forward to taking it all in!

Welcome to the site where all things Vice are discussed.  We are a big happy family.  I know you will enjoy yourself here. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Welcome back to the 80"s!  If you can't find it here it doesn't exist!  Let us know if you need help with anything.

I'm New Jersey born and raised. Where in NJ are you located?

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome gang!

Ferrariman - I am central Jersey by way of Metuchen if that rings a bell.

Funny how coming "back" to Vice after many years of work and family focus feels like finding an old friend.

Wondering  how the community feels about the recent bluray release or if there is a forum on it yet? I actually had the first commercial VHS release where they cut out the key original music ala Russ Ballard which was a heart-breaker.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, EvanFreed said:

Thanks for the warm welcome gang!

Ferrariman - I am central Jersey by way of Metuchen if that rings a bell.

Know it well! I'm from northern NJ in Hawthorne and worked in Clifton for many years but my daughter lives right next to you in Edison.  Again, welcome aboard!

Welcome Evan!

Am 8.3.2017 um 06:26 schrieb EvanFreed:

(I always wanted the "little Miss Dangerous" suite myself but alas it never seemed to surface in Jan's many later releases)

Yeah, that's a great tune! Have you seen this yet?  You should be able to find a rip of that tune in this thread:

If not just go to his channel. :o)

Zitat

I actually had the first commercial VHS release where they cut out the key original music ala Russ Ballard which was a heart-breaker.

Why the heck would they do that? What episode and what song did they replace it with? From what I remember there were two episodes that featured songs by Russ Ballard - Voices and In the night. Or maybe it was Your Time is gonna come...

Edited by Den Taylor

Ferrariman- Ah, Hawthorne- another nice, not too overpopulated NJ town! We in Metuchen are indeed the "hole" in Edison's donut, I visit it on my in and out of town daily-hope she likes it there.

Matt5 and Timm525- Thank you for the greetings!

Susanna G- Thanks for the Bluray link and I'm on my way there right after this to check it out.

Den- Ditto on LMD- Thanks for the multiple links!

As to the VHS songs differing. We were told at the time that (think it was Columbia House) couldn't get the rights (or wasn't willing to pay). While several songs got the ax, the one that struck me the most was in "Calderone's Return" When Rico gets the news and they cue up "Voices" by Russ Ballard as they cut to Crockett and Tubbs embarking on the long cigarette ride - it was replaced by a J. Geils tune. It was weird because the first time i watched it, I wasn't aware- and having an almost instinctual expectation of hearing those creepy initial Russ Ballard musical notes, when something else came on in instead, it was jarring, and I was....how shall we say it politely ? ....Disappointed.

• Like 1

Am 11.3.2017 um 06:40 schrieb EvanFreed:

Ferrariman- Ah, Hawthorne- another nice, not too overpopulated NJ town! We in Metuchen are indeed the "hole" in Edison's donut, I visit it on my in and out of town daily-hope she likes it there.

Matt5 and Timm525- Thank you for the greetings!

Susanna G- Thanks for the Bluray link and I'm on my way there right after this to check it out.

Den- Ditto on LMD- Thanks for the multiple links!

As to the VHS songs differing. We were told at the time that (think it was Columbia House) couldn't get the rights (or wasn't willing to pay). While several songs got the ax, the one that struck me the most was in "Calderone's Return" When Rico gets the news and they cue up "Voices" by Russ Ballard as they cut to Crockett and Tubbs embarking on the long cigarette ride - it was replaced by a J. Geils tune. It was weird because the first time i watched it, I wasn't aware- and having an almost instinctual expectation of hearing those creepy initial Russ Ballard musical notes, when something else came on in instead, it was jarring, and I was....how shall we say it politely ? ....Disappointed.

Oh I hate when stuff like this happens!. They did that with a couple of movies too where they later couldn't get the rights anymore or didn't bother to get them in the first place. So almost all of the music had to be replaced. Sucky music on top of that.
Do you remember what J Geils tune it was? I like most of their 80s stuff, also Peter Wolf's solo works.

Den- I could not recall so I started digging around. Others say it was in fact "Can't Turn Back" by Red Rider. I could have sworn it was J. Geils but truth be known I can no longer rely on my less than 100% accurate memory. What i can tell you is that it was a song I had not heard before - not one at least that i was familiar with.When I got my Vice DVD's years ago, I relegated my Columbia House tapes to the garage sale as having faithful versions was what I wanted. After reading everyone's comments on the forum, I did break down and buy the Bluray. While I know multiple issues exist with this release, for me, after watching the series for years in standard definition, I am very pleased with what I perceive as visibly higher resolution . A restoration would be great. But I can see much more detail- crazy things like scratches on the daytona. It definitely feels like a new experience versus what i have viewed before.

It was "Can't Turn Back". :thumbsup:

Considering what MV songs they had to choose from, it's impressive they chose one that worked lyric-wise and energy-wise. It even has an intro that kind of builds up during Tubbs' "You heard right" scene the way "Voices" did. Still though, "Voices" is what belongs in that scene. Iconic MV sequence!

12 hours ago, Dadrian said:

It was "Can't Turn Back". :thumbsup:

Considering what MV songs they had to choose from, it's impressive they chose one that worked lyric-wise and energy-wise. It even has an intro that kind of builds up during Tubbs' "You heard right" scene the way "Voices" did. Still though, "Voices" is what belongs in that scene. Iconic MV sequence!

That was a great song !:done::fireworks:

46 minutes ago, EvanFreed said:

Thanks for the confirmation Dadrian. Great to have access to the Vice inner circle of knowledge!

You're welcome! We all have our strengths here. I guess mine is the music. :thumbsup:

• Like 1