Sounds from Buddies cue by Jan Hammer

Dadrian

There are enough ppl on this forum talking about Jan Hammer sounds that I'd like to have a discussion on this:

Robbies Theme

I've always suspected the arpeggiater bass and strings are from the Jupiter 8 (just like Crx Theme). 

The bass guitar sound is from the DX7. 

The rhythm guitar is a mix of samples and live guitar playing. 

The organ is from the Memorymoog. 

There are some clean "JAZZ GUITAR" sounds from the DX7 also. 

The lead seems more snarly or trebley than his other Memorymoog/Rockman leads, but I still think that's where it's coming from. 

Anyone that can shed more light on this subject PLEASE comment. This cue is my personal favorite of the unreleased JH music. The sounds in my cover are nice, but many of them are poor substitutes for the real gear (which I don't have). 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Vicefan7777 said:

I wish I understood music that deeply.  I would know what you were writing about. :D

Same here :) 

I just saw this post now!  Great topic to start! :done:

Yes, I definitely agree with your synth and sample theories for "Robbie's Theme".  I love that palm muted guitar!  I wonder about those mega powerful drums?  Fairlight samples from somewhere?

I'm not a synth-guru, but I would consider myself a DX7 expert, lol.

Supposedly, his drum samples are all custom samples of his own various drums from here and there. I have a couple of his most used snare drum samples (including the one in Robbie's Theme), and the mega toms from that them also. You may have noticed them in my covers. I gotta shout out to Rick Leon for making me realize how important the drums were to capturing the feel in the covers, though there is still much to be desired in places.  Anyway, Jan did for sure use some factory sample toms from the Fairlight, as well as the fabled "timbale" heard in the MV Theme song. 

Rick also gave me the software to record those covers! He's a good dude, and we still keep in touch. 

• Like 1

Interesting!  Yes, the drums are very important to get the right sound and feel of Miami Vice... There is so much diversity.  Like, in "Marina" it sounds like (to me) TR-808 rimshot, clave, and other sounds.

All I have is the DX7 and RX11 drum machine.  I don't know if I can get too authentic with just that, lol.  I would love to get a Fairlight or an Emulator someday...

• Like 1