My Jan Hammer DX7 Tribute

AndrewRemington

• 1 month later...

Nice Work, Andrew! I can definitely tell your MV and 80's influence. And nice choice of DX7 patches there.  :D

It's kind of amazing how more and more people are making such music, MV-style but also Retrowave in general. There can never be enough MV music! I will actually join those ranks too as I've been working on a full MV-like tribute album. ;-) I'm only using softsynths though. For instance, FM7 by Native Instruments which is the emulation for the DX7. It is really remarkable in itself and I think you can actually do more with it given the possibilities within a DAW than using just the hardware. And the sound is spot on too IMO. May I ask you what DAW you use Andrew and how much you paid for the DX7? (Just out of curiosity. ;-) You can also PM me if you wish)
Also:

Zitat

It was used on a lot of my favorite pop and rock songs of the 80s as well.

For instance? :o)

p.s.: Love Harold too! My favorite is the Warehouse theme from Beverly Hills Cop. Kind of vicish too, isn't it?

• Like 1

On 6/1/2017 at 2:11 PM, Den Taylor said:

Nice Work, Andrew! I can definitely tell your MV and 80's influence. And nice choice of DX7 patches there.  :D

It's kind of amazing how more and more people are making such music, MV-style but also Retrowave in general. There can never be enough MV music! I will actually join those ranks too as I've been working on a full MV-like tribute album. ;-) I'm only using softsynths though. For instance, FM7 by Native Instruments which is the emulation for the DX7. It is really remarkable in itself and I think you can actually do more with it given the possibilities within a DAW than using just the hardware. And the sound is spot on too IMO. May I ask you what DAW you use Andrew and how much you paid for the DX7? (Just out of curiosity. ;-) You can also PM me if you wish)
Also:

For instance? :o)

p.s.: Love Harold too! My favorite is the Warehouse theme from Beverly Hills Cop. Kind of vicish too, isn't it?

Hey, sorry I am replying two years later! lol I need to make it on here more often!

I actually use GarageBand for recording and mixing. I just plug in the DX7 and RX11 and etc and record with GarageBand. I do like the actual vintage hardware the best. You may notice in some of my recording the audible buzz from analog output. I think even that gives a little more realism than using emulations and soft synths.

That Harold Faltermeyer song is "The Discovery"! One of my favorites! That makes heavy use of DX7 Fretless Bass sound.

• Like 1

Since I last posted, I got some new equipment. Nothing here is newer than 1986. :cool: Posted is the Yamaha DX7 (1983), RX11 drum machine (1984), QX7 sequencer (1985), SPX 90 effects unit (1985 or 1986), and also a DX100 synth (1985). I'm a bit of a Yamaha nut, but it all matches, too!  The DX100 may look like a toy synth, but it is still used by many professionals! It's just a small synth that you can wear like a keytar.

The QX7 sequencer is very fun. I mainly just use it for arpeggiated lines or loops, like bass lines.

IMG_4791.jpg

IMG_4792.jpg

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 4

After a long absence, I made two new Miami style songs! The first one, "Miami Urgency", is a piece suited for an action scene and "Happy Times" is of course, for a happy scene. I imagine Sonny and Rico drinking cocktails or Black Jack by the beach.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AndrewRemington said:

After a long absence, I made two new Miami style songs! The first one, "Miami Urgency", is a piece suited for an action scene and "Happy Times" is of course, for a happy scene. I imagine Sonny and Rico drinking cocktails or Black Jack by the beach.

Excellent! Welcome back!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Miami.Vice.1984 said:

Wonderful! Andrew, they are Stunning Covers !

Thank you, but these are actually original songs I made up.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

Thank you, but these are actually original songs I made up.

You did a Perfect Score with the DX7 RX11 SPX90 and QX7  Pal ! I'm waiting for new songs of yours 

Edited by Miami.Vice.1984
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...