Miami History article on Miami Vice's OCB

TheGreatMcCarthy

On March 17, 2017 at 7:10 PM, TheGreatMcCarthy said:

Fantastic article!  Those old pictures, including the aerials, are something I've never seen before.  I could tell at one point in the article that the author was citing Jim's book, which I'm in the middle of reading.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, airtommy said:

Fantastic article!  Those old pictures, including the aerials, are something I've never seen before.  I could tell at one point in the article that the author was citing Jim's book, which I'm in the middle of reading.

Ya Dr. George, my old college prof who wrote the chapter "Featured in TV Shows & Movies,"undoubtedly got some of this info from my book, that I sent to him last year or so.

Shouldn't the city/county or planning commission ask these developers why they haven't done what was promised in preserving the Bas Relief panel?  Seems like it's been quite some time since these new buildings have been finished.

While the new project required the demolition of the Art Moderne building, the partners agreed to save as much as they could from the Bas Relief panel, as well as, replicate the entrance and place it at the corner of SW Seventh Street and SW Second Avenue. In addition, there was a suggestion to provide a historic marker along the river recognizing the role that the Miami Shipbuilding Corporation served during World War II.

However, to this day, there is no recognition of the historic significance of the parcel of land anywhere on the Latitude on the River complex. While there was no contractual agreement to do what was promised or suggested, it is a shame that a parcel of land with so much history has no evidence of its importance to Miami’s past.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/03/2017 at 3:00 PM, Susanna Girl said:

Shouldn't the city/county or planning commission ask these developers why they haven't done what was promised in preserving the Bas Relief panel?  Seems like it's been quite some time since these new buildings have been finished.

While the new project required the demolition of the Art Moderne building, the partners agreed to save as much as they could from the Bas Relief panel, as well as, replicate the entrance and place it at the corner of SW Seventh Street and SW Second Avenue. In addition, there was a suggestion to provide a historic marker along the river recognizing the role that the Miami Shipbuilding Corporation served during World War II.

However, to this day, there is no recognition of the historic significance of the parcel of land anywhere on the Latitude on the River complex. While there was no contractual agreement to do what was promised or suggested, it is a shame that a parcel of land with so much history has no evidence of its importance to Miami’s past.

Great post Susanna!

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 9:42 AM, miamijimf said:

Ya Dr. George, my old college prof who wrote the chapter "Featured in TV Shows & Movies,"undoubtedly got some of this info from my book, that I sent to him last year or so.

How cool is that, to have your work included as a reference in a publication. Hope he gave you reference credit?

Edited by Sonny-Burnett