RIP Chuck Berry

James

• Administrators

I've woken up only to be shocked by the death of the Grandfather of Rock n Roll, Chuck Berry, aged 90. It shocked me because he was still performing, he seemed healthy, I thought he was going to make 100 for sure. :(  

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/18/arts/chuck-berry-dead.html?_r=0

Didn't expect to wake up to see the death of one of my idols, one of my inspirations for learning the guitar. RIP Chuck. ;(

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, AndrewRemington said:

Dang!  This is sad news. :( He is was very important to rock n' roll!

People may die, but music is immortal.

I think he was the last pioneer of rock n roll alive, so... I guess they're all gone now. That era is officially over. 

What sucks more is that he was supposed to be releasing a new album this year. I wonder if all the recording is done on it or not, and if they will go ahead and release it. (Probably will, death creates a lot of publicity... Wow)

Just now, James said:

People may die, but music is immortal.

I think he was the last pioneer of rock n roll alive, so... I guess they're all gone now. That era is officially over. 

That's a scary thought!  I really like that old 50's rock n' roll.  The influence is around, but barely it seems.

I looked and Duane Eddy is still alive at 78!  I don't know if he would qualify as a pioneer of rock n' roll, but he's one of my favorites from the late 50s and early 60s.

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, AndrewRemington said:

That's a scary thought!  I really like that old 50's rock n' roll.  The influence is around, but barely it seems.

I looked and Duane Eddy is still alive at 78!  I don't know if he would qualify as a pioneer of rock n' roll, but he's one of my favorites from the late 50s and early 60s.

I personally don't qualify him as a pioneer. To me a pioneer would be the big guys who created it in 1954-1956.

I just checked and Little Richard is still kicking it at 84! We're fine for a few more years. :p

• Like 1

Chuck will always be at the top of the family tree of rock guitar solos--it ALL started with him. RIP. 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 2

Amazingly I read his first new album for 4 decades had just been completed/nearly completed  and will be released later in the Year "Chuck"

• Like 1

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Amazingly I read his first new album for 4 decades had just been completed/nearly completed  and will be released later in the Year "Chuck"

I was looking forward to it... But who knows if they're even going to release it now. :(

• Administrators

Looks like they are going to release it as a tribute. Chuck would've wanted it to go ahead. But this would have to mean that a majority of the recording (if not all of it) was already done. 

2eyxcsi.png

The very last Rock & Roll album, as someone said in the comments. I'm sort of hoping they release it on vinyl.

• Like 1

he was a great. my parents saw him over 20 years ago and said he had some backup musicians that looked like teenagers. apparently this was his practice to just pick up a few local people when he toured..

Chuck Berry's guitar playing on "Johnny B. Goode" is one of the most influential rock & roll songs of all time. Many young kids wanted to play guitar just so they could play his "licks".

Rest in Peace, Chuck Berry!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Tony D. said:

Chuck Berry's guitar playing on "Johnny B. Goode" is one of the most influential rock & roll songs of all time. Many young kids wanted to play guitar just so they could play his "licks".

Rest in Peace, Chuck Berry!

Yes so true - Rip Chuck!

In "Back to the Future" one of the best scenes is when Michael J. Fox plays Johnny B. Goode & Chuck Berry's cousin calls Chuck & says "Remember that new sound you were looking for.....?", until the meltdown on the solo. Funny! :D

• Like 3

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Tony D. said:

In "Back to the Future" one of the best scenes is when Michael J. Fox plays Johnny B. Goode & Chuck Berry's cousin calls Chuck & says "Remember that new sound you were looking for.....?", until the meltdown on the solo. Funny! :D

"I guess you're not ready for that yet... But your kids are gonna love it!"

• Like 2

On 19/03/2017 at 1:59 AM, James said:

I've woken up only to be shocked by the death of the Grandfather of Rock n Roll, Chuck Berry, aged 90. It shocked me because he was still performing, he seemed healthy, I thought he was going to make 100 for sure. :(  

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/18/arts/chuck-berry-dead.html?_r=0

Didn't expect to wake up to see the death of one of my idols, one of my inspirations for learning the guitar. RIP Chuck. ;(

Nice post James .!