This Week In Miami Vice History

mvnyc

March 24th - March 31st:

"Nobody Lives Forever", the 20th episode of the 1st season, premiered on NBC on Friday, March 29th, 1985 at 10PM EST. Some notes on this episode (from Miami Vice Wiki):
* Crockett is the recipient of the famous "Castillo Staredown" (his second this season), for shirking his duty in favor of romance.
* Brenda makes reference to the renovation of the Art Deco buildings in South Beach. This renovation trend is often said to be partially influenced by Miami Vice as, in early seasons of the show, producers would repair and re-paint damaged buildings so that they would form an acceptable background to the footage they were filming. Other initiatives subsequently followed suit, eventually leading to the revitalization of the South Beach area, a process that continues today. One example of this is the Tides hotel, seen in the background when Crockett shoots down the third wild punk. The building is now The Tides South Beach and is a luxury hotel.
* Brenda's house would reappear as one of the cat burglar's targets in the third season episode "Shadow In The Dark."
* During the opening sequence, Ace (Frank Military), tells one of Morgan's bookies "You don't look so bad, here's another." This line was allegedly spoken word for word by the New York vigilante subway shooter Bernhard Goetz, which caused over 50 complaint calls to NBC in 1985, mainly from New York City. According to NBC's then-head of Broadcast Standards, the line was ad-libbed by Military and was not in the script and that the scene in question was filmed two days before Goetz's admission was made public.
* Tubbs is very obviously played by his stunt double, Ernest Robinson, in the scene where the last of the punks tries to run him down with his stolen car.

**There was no Season 2 premiere episode this week**

"Knock, Knock...Who's There?", the 21st episode of the 3rd season, premiered on NBC on Friday, March 27th, 1987 at 9PM EST. Some notes on this episode (from Miami Vice Wiki):
* This is one of two episodes whose title ends with a question mark.
* IAD Agent Stroh will return to investigate Tubbs in Season 4's "Amen... Send Money."

**There was no Season 4 premiere episode this week**
**There was no Season 5 premiere episode this week**

• Like 1

"Nobody Lives Forever" is a well made episode.

Also shows one of Michael Mann's signature facets of his style of production and directing, which is an obsession with people's work and what it does to them. You can trace that all the way to movies like Heat or Collateral. And this episode is a look at the irreconcilability of Crockett's down and dirty undercover police job with Brenda's free spirited career in architecture and all the lofty ideas that it has put in her head about her life.

...ok I will take off my movie critic hat now :):p

19 hours ago, mvnyc said:

March 24th - March 31st:

"Nobody Lives Forever"
* During the opening sequence, Ace (Frank Military), tells one of Morgan's bookies "You don't look so bad, here's another." This line was allegedly spoken word for word by the New York vigilante subway shooter Bernhard Goetz, which caused over 50 complaint calls to NBC in 1985, mainly from New York City. According to NBC's then-head of Broadcast Standards, the line was ad-libbed by Military and was not in the script and that the scene in question was filmed two days before Goetz's admission was made public.

This note just floors me!  What a crazy 'coincidental' thing to have happened.  :eek:  

Thanks again mvnyc.  

15 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Reaching the end of the Seasons by the end of March !:):done:

Got two more months and then I will likely put this thread away for a while.  This is the third go-round, so I'm sure it is starting to get a little tired...

4 hours ago, mvnyc said:

Got two more months and then I will likely put this thread away for a while.  This is the third go-round, so I'm sure it is starting to get a little tired...

I for one , and Im sure many others, enjoy them - they are filled with good information . You may feel differently by September ;)

3 hours ago, Matt5 said:

I for one , and Im sure many others, enjoy them - they are filled with good information . You may feel differently by September ;)

Thanks Matt5, I'll re-visit this in September and see how busy things are on this forum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mvnyc said:

Thanks Matt5, I'll re-visit this in September and see how busy things are on this forum.

Hopefully things will pick up on the forum ! 

Look at it this way you have till September 16th to decide ! ;)

I love this thread!  I'll miss it if it's gone...just sayin.  Thank you for taking your time to do this mvnyc!  Whatever you decide, I've enjoyed it.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Susanna Girl said:

I love this thread!  I'll miss it if it's gone...just sayin.  Thank you for taking your time to do this mvnyc!  Whatever you decide, I've enjoyed it.  :thumbsup:

Yes ! Well said Susanna :done: - I always enjoy this thread 

• Like 1