This Week In Miami Vice History

mvnyc

April 1st - April 7th:

**There was no Season 1 premiere episode this week**

"Free Verse", the 20th episode of the 2nd season, premiered on NBC on Friday, April 4th, 1986 at 10PM EST. Some notes on this episode (from Miami Vice Wiki):
* This episode was called "Free Verse" when it originally aired, but the name was changed to "Zero Solution" for some syndicated broadcasts. Unlike other Miami Vice episodes that had it's title changed (where the new title became the official one), this episode's name has reverted back to it's original title ("Free Verse") for the show's DVD releases.
* Don Johnson appears in the opening, then doesn't appear until about 18 minutes later into the episode. His absence is explained by having to appear in court.
* This episode refers to the trend of "Banana Politics" in the 1980s, referring to the coups and civil wars that occurred in Central American and Caribbean countries during that time.

"Viking Bikers From Hell", the 22nd episode of the 3rd season, premiered on NBC on Friday, April 3rd, 1987 at 9PM EST. Some notes on this episode (from Miami Vice Wiki):
* Episode writer John Milius used Marlon Brando's character from Apocalypse Now (Col. Walter Kurtz), as his pseudonym in the credits.
* Since Zito's death, Switek has taken to reading magic trick books during his stakeouts, having done so in almost every episode since, including this one.
* One of the bikes featured in this episode is a Kawasaki GPZ. It would later be redesigned and renamed the "Ninja."
* The hotel that Victoria pulls in front of (The Breakwater) was, like the other Art Deco hotels in South Beach, renovated after Miami Vice went off the air and is now a luxury hotel.
* This is one of three Season 3 episodes in which Tubbs is shown brandishing his shotgun, but he never fires it.
* When Reb jumps his bike over a Metro-Dade squad car to escape the hideout, the scene switches from his usual chopper to a smaller and lighter dirt bike, before changing back to his chopper again.

"Blood And Roses", the 19th episode of the 4th season, premiered on NBC on Friday, April 1st at 10PM EST. Some notes on this episode (from Miami Vice Wiki):
* From this episode until February, 1989, Miami Vice's time slot was moved back to Friday at 10PM.
* This is the second time Gina was forced into sex to maintain her cover. And, just as in the episode "Give A Little, Take A Little", she shot and killed the man who slept with her.
* When Mosca is shot by Gina, it's very obvious that a dummy was used to depict his fall down the chute (the dummy's head actually falls off in the last few frames of the shot).

**There was no Season 5 premiere episode this week**

Edited by mvnyc
  • Like 3

On 30/3/2017 at 10:53 PM, mvnyc said:

"Free Verse", the 20th episode of the 2nd season, premiered on NBC on Friday, April 4th, 1986 at 10PM EST. Some notes on this episode (from Miami Vice Wiki):
* This episode was called "Free Verse" when it originally aired, but the name was changed to "Zero Solution" for some syndicated broadcasts. Unlike other Miami Vice episodes that had it's title changed (where the new title became the official one), this episode's name has reverted back to it's original title ("Free Verse") for the show's DVD releases.

Good thing they changed the title back to "Free Verse." It fits the episode cause it's a better association with the poet, which the squad has to protect. "Zero Solution" just doesn't sound like a Miami Vice title to me, nor does it make an easier connection to whom it's about.  

I feel like it's a mess with all of the title changes they've done, couldn't they just have kept all of the titles from the original broadcast. ?( Like for instance "The Savage," which was changed to "Duty and Honor." It's easier to remember "The Savage" and links the episode to the aforementioned. There isn't even a known reason for this. Correction: From IMDb  This episode is also called "The Savage." Yet, "Duty and Honor" was its title on NBC's first broadcast, as on all DVD and Blu-Ray releases. It states incorrect info about this on Miami Vice wikia, but has been corrected on IMDb. 

"Free Verse" was a boring episode in my opinion, but "Viking Bikers From Hell" and "Blood And Roses" were two great episodes.  

"Blood and Roses" is one of my favorite, (if not the favorite) episode(s) of Season 4, because it features for the last time a storyline including Sonny and Gina like it was in the first two seasons. A small revisit in Season 4 with Sonny and Gina's romance/friendship. I'm glad the relationship between those two characters were brought back.   

And also couldn't the producers have used a real stunt man for that last scene? :)  I'm kidding. 

Thank you again for posting this mvnyc! :thumbsup:

Edited by summer84
Edit/Correction about "The Savage"
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, mvnyc said:

April 1st - April 7th:

**There was no Season 1 premiere episode this week**

"Blood And Roses", the 19th episode of the 4th season, premiered on NBC on Friday, April 1st at 10PM EST. Some notes on this episode (from Miami Vice Wiki):
* From this episode until February, 1989, Miami Vice's time slot was moved back to Friday at 10PM.
* This is the second time Gina was forced into sex to maintain her cover. And, just as in the episode "Give A Little, Take A Little", she shot and killed the man who slept with her.
* When Mosca is shot by Gina, it's very obvious that a dummy was used to depict his fall down the chute (the dummy's head actually falls off in the last few frames of the shot).

I really liked this episode.  Stanley Tucci was so enjoyable in this, I've watched it many times.  Idk how an undercover female detective could possibly avoid being "used" and maintain the relationship.  It's got to be a huge problem even now.  

I'll have to watch the fall down the chute again though, so I can see the dummy's head fall off!  :)

Thank you mvnyc.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Susanna Girl said:

I really liked this episode.  Stanley Tucci was so enjoyable in this, I've watched it many times.  Idk how an undercover female detective could possibly avoid being "used" and maintain the relationship.  It's got to be a huge problem even now.  

I'll have to watch the fall down the chute again though, so I can see the dummy's head fall off!  :)

Thank you mvnyc.  :thumbsup:

Yes a fine episode :)

Thanks Summer84, Susanna Girl and Matt5, of the (3) episodes that aired this week, I liked "Blood And Roses" the most, didn't really care for "Free Verse" and "Viking Bikers From Hell."

Edited by mvnyc
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Susanna Girl said:

I also liked Mosca as a baddy because he seemed to have traits of the classic gangster types from an earlier era, and because of his corny humor and mannerisms.

Though as to Gina, I always had trouble with her judgment, first with the disgusting Lupo Ramirez and then again with Mosca, as she seemed to find herself in situations with little or no options to avoid the unthinkable and for me at least, her actions were out of line as a cop. She also did have options that she ignored, which level-headed Trudy suggested in both cases where she could accompany Gina and thereby provide her with some cover and situational avoidance if need be.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

I also liked Mosca as a baddy because he seemed to have traits of the classic gangster types from an earlier era, and because of his corny humor and mannerisms.

Though as to Gina, I always had trouble with her judgment, first with the disgusting Lupo Ramirez and then again with Mosca, as she seemed to find herself in situations with little or no options to avoid the unthinkable and for me at least, her actions were out of line as a cop. She also did have options that she ignored, which level-headed Trudy suggested in both cases where she could accompany Gina and thereby provide her with some cover and situational avoidance if need be.

Hi Sonny-Burnett, I think Gina's heart got in the way more than once, but eventually, she figured it out.

In the episode "Give a Little Take a Little," I understand that Gina didn't want her cover to be blown, but at the same the time as a cop constantly working undercover in these cases, (unless it was her first time and she didn't have much experience), I felt like it was a naive decision/judgment by Gina especially since, she got some advice from Trudy warning her saying, "what if he wants more than that". And since it was supposed to be a party held, then she could have easily brought Trudy along without is causing suspicion. Than she wouldn't have brought herself in that terrible situation. I agree that Gina didn't always act sensible, but that was also sometimes the case for Crockett and Tubbs.   

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

I forgot about Trudy also warning her in Give a Little and in spite of the warning and offer of accompaniment, Gina still went alone to see 'Pauly'...ugh. And good point about this being a somewhat naïve decision, which we wouldn't expect from a more seasoned cop. I thought the same thing, that Gina could have brought Trudy along to see him and could have done something similar with Mosca, perhaps introducing her as a business associate or even someone she was close to who was in town visiting, so to provide an excuse for Trudy to tag along.  It just seemed to me that the writers wanted to make her appear vulnerable and so she was made to get into some difficult situations, using poor judgment, and for which there was no way out.  Maybe this was just Vice showing the human side of characters, and their flaws. Crockett had his own share of flaws as well, such as his doomed relationships with a madam and junkie, and it was one of the things I liked most about the show. As Crockett once said "Secret to success Rico, whether it's women or money, is knowing when to quit. I ought to know. I'm divorced and broke."

• Like 1

Yes very good points. In both cases Gina had options to protect herself from situations that an female undercover cop may face. Just like Crockett and Tubbs, she could have used her partners assistance, but chose to act on her own instead. I thought partners were supposed to work together as a team. Yeah that character Ramirez was awful and disgusting and it was some terrible acting in my opinion. :) I didn't like him in the "Rocky" movie either. And I like that it wasn't all perfect too, but that these characters can make mistakes and get hurt like in real life. 

I remember Gina saying to Trudy "what is with you, I can handle this." Like she felt that her skills as a cop were put down.

'Pauly'? :)

Edited by summer84

52 minutes ago, summer84 said:

...and it was some terrible acting in my opinion. :) I didn't like him in the "Rocky" movie either.

I remember Gina saying to Trudy "what is with you, I can handle this." Like she felt that her skills as a cop were put down.

'Pauly'? :)

"What's...your....game?"  :p Such wooden acting, and I also had trouble disassociating Lupo from Paulie (oops, not Pauly) from the Rocky series.

He played such a smarmy role as Lupo in this ep.  Gina did get defensive about the need for backup, whether out of naivete or pride, and ultimately that was her undoing in this ep as well as the Mosca ep.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, mvnyc said:

Thanks Summer84, Susanna Girl and Matt5, of the (3) episodes that aired this week, I liked "Blood And Roses" the most, didn't really care for "Free Verse" and "Viking Bikers From Hell."

Great episodes - I also liked "Blood and Roses" the most - " Free Verse" I like also but played out like a music video !:fireworks:

Edited by Matt5