This Week In Miami Vice History - Unproduced Episodes

mvnyc

Since there were no premiere episodes in all 5 seasons this week, I'm presenting two unproduced ones (this information is from Miami Vice Wiki):

"Mother's Keepers" is an unproduced episode of Miami Vice, thought to be from the show's second or third season.  The storyline goes: "The case of a murdered mother and a stolen baby hits Gina hard and moves her to reveal a very personal secret."  The script bears several similarities to the Season 3 episode "Baby Blues", however these similarities are apparently coincidental.

• While it is not known which season the episode was originally intended for, the presence of Lieutenant Castillo places it after "One Eyed Jack." Similarly, Larry Zito is mentioned, indicating it was to take place before "Down For The Count, (Part One)." The script's writer, Gustave Reininger, also wrote Season 3's "Forgive Us Our Debts, indicating this script may have been written around that time.
  • The title is an obvious reference to "Brother's Keeper", although the story bears no relation. It is also a play on the phrase "finders, keepers."
  • The script hints at unresolved romantic feelings between Crockett and Gina left over from their on-off relationship in Season 1 (something that is also implied in Season 4's "Blood And Roses").
  • latest?cb=20111206084011

"The Edge" is an unproduced episode of Miami Vice from the fifth season.  The storyline goes: "When his politician friend is abducted, Crockett has to push himself to his very limits to catch the kidnappers and rescue his friend." Little is actually known about the episode beyond its basic premise, as the script remains in private hands.

• "The Edge" was originally going to be filmed around the middle of production in the fifth season. However, Don Johnson's commitment to the recording of his second album, Let It Roll, meant that the episode could not be shot at the allotted time. Initially, "Miracle Man" was filmed instead (as Crockett is only featured in the opening sequence) and "The Edge" was pushed back through the schedule, but eventually, with time running out to complete "Freefall", the episode was dropped altogether.
  • This episode was written by Scott Shepherd, who also wrote " "Redemption In Blood" (With Ken Solarz), "Bad Timing", "Hard Knocks", "Over The Line" and "Freefall."

Edited by mvnyc
  • Like 2

I knew about the "Mother's Keeper's" script, as Coop posted a topic/thread about it. Here it is: 

Too bad it was dropped for whatever reason, cause it looks like a high quality script written. And of course, I don't mind a bit of story centered around Sonny and Gina. Them being undercover as a married couple was something similar to a story made in an NCIS episode between DiNozzo and Ziva.  

I didn't know about "The Edge" script. The title made me think of a wrestler named "Edge."  :)

Very interesting read! Thank you mvnyc for making these threads! :thumbsup:

Edited by summer84
  • Like 2

"The Edge" was seeing a burnt out Sonny and was loosely planned  to be directed by Richard Compton if I remember rightly who directed "Too Much, Too Late" in Season 5.

It would be great if the MV team would make "The Edge" now.............just for "old times sake."  :thumbsup: