15 days until vaca & a big drive to Fl.

ZAQ 178

2 hours ago, ZAQ 178 said:

So I’m on the SW coast of Florida in Sanibel / Captiva. Overcast but still amazing beautiful! Made the drive through Ding Darling nature preserve, Sanibel lighthouse & lunch at the Mucky Duck in Captiva. Driving the wheels off our new Hyundai AWD Turbo Tucson!

Nice...I know this area well as I've vacationed there many times. Mucky Duck is a beach sandwich shop and that one photo looks like the path to the beach there. And I recognize the bridge from Ft Myers across to Sanibel and the lighthouse. Great shelling at the lighthouse as it is the convergence of currents at the tip of the island and especially now after the storm came through (Alberto).   I'd also recommend Doc Fords for lunch or dinner on both Sanibel and on Ft Myers Beach , and the Beached Whale on Estero island for a rooftop view and lunch.  If you are still there on Captiva there are some great cruises on Captiva Cruises. 

If you have time you can visit Lover's Key further south past Estero or rent a pontoon boat for some back bay fishing or a trip to Lover's Key. 

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 2

I have already been to Doc Fords last Oct and it was great! We tore up Captiva & Sanibel this time!

Shelling on Sanibel is great even without that recent storm but I walked away w/ some decent shells no doubt!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ZAQ 178 said:

I have already been to Doc Fords last Oct and it was great! We tore up Captiva & Sanibel this time!

Shelling on Sanibel is great even without that recent storm but I walked away w/ some decent shells no doubt!

Loved the pictures of Sanibel, the lighthouse and the picture from the highway - Thankyou man. Miami is my second home and loved seeing these. Gracias.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow. That pink sky pic is amazing. 

Is that the parking garage that replaced The Senator?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Wow. That pink sky pic is amazing. 

Is that the parking garage that replaced The Senator?

The Senator was just one block south at 12th and Collins.

8D777A13-0D42-403D-B03B-85CEAC979BF8.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That pink sky was gone as fast as it came. It was an overcast night, then all of a sudden that pink sky was there and within minutes gone & overcast again. Too bad I was around buildings and not on South Beach at the time.

On 6/3/2018 at 4:48 PM, Matt5 said:

Yes Jay -12th and Collins.

This is the only thing I have of the Senator. Not sure how I missed a whole shot but it’s just to the right.

5313293A-D6B9-45AC-BBC2-6374C51BC889.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ZAQ 178 said:

That would explain how I missed the Senator lol.

Ha ha yes man - when I posted the 12th and Collins photo that was where the Senator was. Senator went in 1988.:o

This was The Senator circa 1980s in all its glory pre demolition.

(The Tides, behind the Senator,  featured in Season 4s “Hell Hath No Fury” still stands but is closed).

346F5A2E-5115-4A44-9E46-AEB6B9EE77F9.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ZAQ 178 said:

Yeah, The Tides wasn’t looking too well on my trip!

8573318A-1936-47D1-8CCC-E2AECDB9981A.jpeg

Yes I read it closed in preparation for Hurricane Irma last September and never reopened.

How is Miami right now? I went there a little over a month ago and save for about four hours, I didn't get any sunshine.

Kind of a wet towel, when one the things I went down there to do was bask in the Miami Beach sun and watch the sunset melt over the palm-tree horizon.

It was overcast for the few days o was there but each morning we woke up to sunshine until about noon until it was cloudy w/ some sun here & there.

This is me standing outside the Carlyle first thing In the AM on a Thursday 2 weeks ago-

7247CAFE-B41D-4525-A368-43BB8E3B7C1B.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ZAQ 178 said:

It was overcast for the few days o was there but each morning we woke up to sunshine until about noon until it was cloudy w/ some sun here & there.

This is me standing outside the Carlyle first thing In the AM on a Thursday 2 weeks ago-

7247CAFE-B41D-4525-A368-43BB8E3B7C1B.jpeg

Just great , thankyou for sharing - sorry the weather has been so poor - the rain and storms are relentless even this week.

• Thanks 1