My Daytona from 86/87

ZAQ 178

While it's smaller than usual, the story means as much as the car itself.

I was 9 when MV came out (I'm 41 now). I became a fan of the show because of my mom (RIP 1991), without a doubt prob had a thing for DJ lol. I would sit with her everytime she watched it. Back in 86/87 (I think it was), I got a Christmas gift that I could never forget... the MV Daytona model! I remember building it best I could with what I had. 

Mom passed in 91' due to cancer when I was 15. Life as I knew it took a major spin from the norm. Moved out of our house, everything packed up and put into storage for many years. So many years that I had grown up and started my own family. Long forgotten was that Daytona model (also had the Scaraab model too). Fast forward 3 years ago at 38 years old I receive a box from my dad. Thought it might be something I would want. It was that Daytona model I build as a kid! It was really busted up, missing most of its parts, broken windshield frame etc... looked like a pike of junk but kept it for the memories anyway. 

So recently w/ my rewatching all the MV Ep again I started thinking about the Daytona model. I am & have always been a model car builder so I had lots of extra parts etc... so I tried my best to pick parts that closely resembled what the original Daytona looked like in an attempt to rebuild this car I made as a kid, but this time much better due to better model building skills. While it's not perfect, I did my best with what I had and the memories I get every time I look at it are beautiful. This is my Daytona. Thank mom!

IMG_2669.PNG

IMG_2670.PNG

IMG_2671.PNG

IMG_2669.PNG

IMG_2670.PNG

IMG_2671.PNG

Edited by ZAO178
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Mvice8489 said:

I love it!!   Interested in selling it?    BTW, weren't Crockett's plates ZAQ ...not ZAO ???

Well now this is odd that you say that because I think you might be right! My Daytona (old model of course) came w/ the plate ZAO178 when I got it as a kid. Did a google search for others and I'm seeing both ZAO178 & ZAQ178! Might have to have my user name fixed lol.

That's a fantastic looking model, ZAO! :thumbsup:

I was about 13 when the big Miami Vice craze hit me (MV wasn't on TV here at all until late 1986), and I was able to proudly buy a Revell kit of the Miami Vice Testarossa with my saved up allowance. I put a lot of after-school time into building it, but sadly, somehow, it became lost somewhere over all those years. I will have to have a good look-around at my parents' house one of these days... :)

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1

So... it appears my Daytona among other kits, has the wrong plate #! Therefore, my user name is wrong! I need this corrected like asap lol. Who here can help w/ that user name change?

Thank you for the kind words on my Daytona. When I recently rebuilt it I tried to be as exact as I could.

19 hours ago, Mvice8489 said:

I love it!!   Interested in selling it?    BTW, weren't Crockett's plates ZAQ ...not ZAO ???

It's been fixed my friend! Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

No problem.  

The license plate on my black '72 Vette convertible (closest thing I could find to a Daytona replica so far) is ZAQ 178 :)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mvice8489 said:

I would but I have no idea how to do that

You need to find a way to do this so I can see it. Take a few pics w/ your phone and upload them here like I did w/ my Daytona. Easy like Sunday morn pal!

Edited by ZAQ 178

• 1 year later...