Italo Vice

Marc

oPVVH9A.jpg

I want you to think of an alternative universe where Miami Vice was set in early 1980's Italy. The picture is a beach in Rimini.

Italo Disco is one of my favourite genres and this would be some of the music the series could have featured. :p

Loui$ ‎ - Pink Footpath (1985)

Ray Cooper - Breakdown [Instrumental] (1984)

Wish Key - Last Summer (1986)

• Like 4

4Pbkepl.jpg

Flexx - Flexxy Ball Theme (instrumental) (1983)

Radio Movie - Communicating Love (1984)

Max Coveri ‎– One More Time (1986)

• Like 2

Thanks Dadrian, I'm a big fan of yours and love watching how these raw synths achieve such sounds. I'd love to get into making music and buy a few pieces of equipment but wouldn't know where to really start. I make videos for a living and have been lucky to sit inside quite a few recording studios, Abbey Road and where I live in Liverpool and always amazed at the work artists and producers do.

Edited by Marc
  • Like 1

8MrT85u.jpg

Photography Claude Nori, Amore Mio, 1983

Faber DJ – For Your Love [Instrumental] (1985)

Alan Barry ‎– Good Vibrations [Instrumental] (1986)

Ludy ‎– The Island Of The Sun (1983)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Marc said:

Thanks Dadrian, I'm a big fan of yours and love watching how these raw synths achieve such sounds. I'd love to get into making music and buy a few pieces of equipment but wouldn't know where to really start. I make videos for a living and have been lucky to sit inside quite a few recording studios, Abbey Road and where I live in Liverpool and always amazed at the work artists and producers do.

Awesome! It's been so long since I made MV music that I wonder if ppl still listen to those covers. I'm always glad to hear from someone who enjoys them. Thank you for the feedback. 

I want make videos to present my covers. I'd like to let people see the synths and maybe mix in some MV images here and there. I'm just not sure how to do it.

Maybe I could send you a private message sometime for advice?

I absolutely LOVE the way this video looks (and sounds haha). Would I have to spend a ton of money for a camera and software for this visual effect?:

Also this one. Everything looks so great. And it's one of the nicest piano solos I've ever heard. Love this guy:

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Awesome! It's been so long since I made MV music that I wonder if ppl still listen to those covers. I'm always glad to hear from someone who enjoys them. Thank you for the feedback. 

I want make videos to present my covers. I'd like to let people see the synths and maybe mix in some MV images here and there. I'm just not sure how to do it.

I absolutely LOVE the way this video looks (and sounds haha). Would I have to spend a ton of money for a camera and software for this visual effect?:

Also this one. Everything looks so great. And it's one of the nicest piano solos I've ever heard. Love this guy:

Many do as I do still enjoy your covers very much man:hippie:

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Dadrian said:

That shallow depth of field effect can be achieved a with a DSLR camera shooting video and low f-stop lens (f2.8 - f1.8). You can pick up for an example a used Canon 550D and Canon 50mm f1.8 lens quite cheap that will let you can the aperture from closed to wide open. Then you just need to have the room fairly well lit. As less expensive camera will struggle with a dark environment and you have to push the sensors ISO which creates more noise in the image. That would be my suggestion but if you have any questions be sure to PM me.

• Like 1

Thank you so much, I don't understand all that (yet), but it's quite apparent that I now have a helpful contact. I will definitely  be in touch when I get a good camera! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

One of the bigger names of Italo Disco was Den Harrow:

He was stylized as yet another heart throb for teenage girls to get hot and bothered about, but the music itself, looking back, wasn't all that bad.

The producers pulled a Milli Vanilli with the singer though; the guy you see in the videos was an Italian model who they had discovered in a club in Milan, but he couldn't sing for toffee. So they hired singers to actually sing on all the records. One of them was Tom Hooker, an American studio musician and actor.

They even created a back story for "Den Harrow", about where he came from,  where he went to school etc.; it was all fake, but they were mostly able to pull it off, as this was the age before the Internet. The end of the project only came when Tom Hooker no longer wanted to sing on the records.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tom Hooker has aged too though, this was him five years ago, he's turning 60 this year:

Stefano Zandri, who acted as the face of Den Harrow, was just pathetic though. It wasn't until a few years ago that he admitted to never having sung on his own records. He even used to publicly tell Tom Hooker off for saying that he himself was the real singer.

Edited by Daytona74

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Uhh @Marc as I see you are deep into this. At least much deeper than me. Of course I know for example Dan Harrow(Bad Boy is my favorite :D ) and those mainstream Italo songs, but in this thread you give me a quite nice homework to do (actually listen :D ) Anyway thanks again for this lot of shared songs. I will jump into these in the next couple of days :)

For start this is my contribution song to this thread :)

Sidenote : I am also into videography, I love makin' motion pictures. Love the technology and also the art side of it :) I currently have a Canon 5DmkIII (10year old technology I know :D but with magic lantern firmware I can shot 5.7K 14bit RAW in 23.976fps with it, so all in all not that bad for a 10years old DSLR :) )

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kalci said:

Sidenote : I am also into videography, I love makin' motion pictures. Love the technology and also the art side of it :) I currently have a Canon 5DmkIII (10year old technology I know :D but with magic lantern firmware I can shot 5.7K 14bit RAW in 23.976fps with it, so all in all not that bad for a 10years old DSLR :) )

Cool!! I have my Canon 5DIII and brought it with me last week on a shoot, still a great camera. I used it alongside a Sony a6300 and Sony FS700, all really old cameras now.

I've recently became a full time videographer for the boys in blue where I live, use to do music events but was getting to old for it and COVID put me on the shelf. Told I'm going to go on some ride alongs soon and the they will hopefully be buying brand new gear. Probably a Sony FX3 and some Sony lens, I have all Canon glass and the metabones adopter.

This is really nice edit of Tony Esposito - As Tu As, very Euro Vice.

• Like 1

FX3 is a great hardware yes :) Sony had/has a big advantage over Canon in dynamic range. I somewhat can resolve that with RAW recording but of course that slows the post production process. One of my dreams is to use one day Arri and Panavision and since those are the most popular brands in Hollywood although I know Sony Vencie nowdays has also a lot of credit !

WISH KEY - Last Summer  => awesome tunes in there, love it, thanks !

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
  • Administrators
On 5/28/2017 at 12:42 AM, Dadrian said:

It's been so long since I made MV music that I wonder if ppl still listen to those covers. 

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!  :eek: 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kalci said:

One of my fav from him. But certainly his biggest song was "Hey Hey Guy" :)

Great song. I also like this one :D :

• Like 1