Another Vice Edition Scarab Saved

Scarab KV

They keep following me home lol
Took a little road trip this week to bring this ol girl home. The owner was in the process of restoring her when he passed away three years ago. Re powered with custom built engines based off Merc 800 blocks with BDS 1071 blowers, now close to 900 hp, Huber Monster transmissions and Merc Speed Master drives.

The boat had been abandoned for close to 15 years when Tim purchased it to restore. Hasn't seen water in about 25 years. Only has 75 hrs on the meters.

Named it "Blown Cover" as a play on the power and Crockett's use of the Scarab as part if his cover :)

Special thanks to Tina Leslie, Ben Leslie and Tim Bugay for all the help putting this together. 
There will be a dash plaque installed in memory of Tim Leslie

received_1108453785891003.jpeg

received_1071326622947678.jpeg

received_1071326589614348.jpeg

orca-image-1493300279832.jpg_1493300279903.jpeg

20170516_230311.jpg

• Like 6

That is gorgeous! The boat sure stood up well for sitting all those years!

That is going to be a real "head-turner" when he gets it on the water. My boat is going to get wet in three weeks. Can hardly wait!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stinger390X said:

That is gorgeous! The boat sure stood up well for sitting all those years!

That is going to be a real "head-turner" when he gets it on the water. My boat is going to get wet in three weeks. Can hardly wait!!!!!!!!

Tim was doing a pretty extensive restoration. New transom, stringers, blue printed and gelled the hull, new cockpit upholstery, Livorsi gauges, wiring, paint, powertrain, drives. Basically no stone left unturned. They were able to save all the original color fades. Cabin carpet is faded, but rest of it looks like no one ever used it. The refrigerator still has all of the tags and paper work inside of it. I was going through the receipts for it when I got it home. There's 70k in the power and drives, 20-25k in structural and paint. I'm guessing another 4-5k in upholstery work. I still need to have tail pipes and tie bars fabbed, hook up the hydraulics, finish up some odds and ends and buy props for it.

• Like 1

Props are probably the most important item!

We just changed from 28's to 34's on my buddies Profile and the boat is set up perfectly now. The boat flys at 80mph all day long and the engines are turning at 4800rpm with 6 lbs boost on the blowers and 55psi on the oil pressure. With the smaller props it was revving at 5600 but that was kind of hard on the expensive engines. There was also a drop in oil pressure at high revs.  The boat used to do just over a 100mph but it was hurting the engines so this setup is perfect as you can cruise all day long and the engines are barely working.

There is a Mercury app for your smartphone that can estimate what prop is best suited for what you want to do. It takes into account your hp, rpm, weight and length and will recommend what prop you need for desired speed.

Good luck and have fun this summer. I was at the performance boat place yesterday and they informed me that my boat will be ready next week with my new engine installed. Can hardly wait...!!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Scarab KV said:

Tim was doing a pretty extensive restoration. New transom, stringers, blue printed and gelled the hull, new cockpit upholstery, Livorsi gauges, wiring, paint, powertrain, drives. Basically no stone left unturned. They were able to save all the original color fades. Cabin carpet is faded, but rest of it looks like no one ever used it. The refrigerator still has all of the tags and paper work inside of it. I was going through the receipts for it when I got it home. There's 70k in the power and drives, 20-25k in structural and paint. I'm guessing another 4-5k in upholstery work. I still need to have tail pipes and tie bars fabbed, hook up the hydraulics, finish up some odds and ends and buy props for it.

Beautiful boat and looks to be quite an investment in restoration costs. Will you be doing the restoration?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

Beautiful boat and looks to be quite an investment in restoration costs. Will you be doing the restoration?

Tim had it about 90% completed when he passed away. It's sad that he never got the chance to run her. I have a month's worth of completion work to finish it. Hope to be water testing it in July.

The Star 2 project is the boat that I'm doing the all out restoration on. Now that we have Blown Cover, I'll be selling the White Snap-On Scarab that is a repainted Vice Edition 

FB_IMG_1491424271218.jpg

3 hours ago, Stinger390X said:

We just changed from 28's to 34's on my buddies Profile and the boat is set up perfectly now. The boat flys at 80mph all day long and the engines are turning at 4800rpm with 6 lbs boost on the blowers and 55psi on the oil pressure. With the smaller props it was revving at 5600 but that was kind of hard on the expensive engines. There was also a drop in oil pressure at high revs.  The boat used to do just over a 100mph but it was hurting the engines so this setup is perfect as you can cruise all day long and the engines are barely working.

There is a Mercury app for your smartphone that can estimate what prop is best suited for what you want to do. It takes into account your hp, rpm, weight and length and will recommend what prop you need for desired speed.

Good luck and have fun this summer. I was at the performance boat place yesterday and they informed me that my boat will be ready next week with my new engine installed. Can hardly wait...!!!

We're going to change out pulleys to de tune to 800s so I don't have to mess with race gas all the time.

Childhood friend of mine is head of the prop division at Merc. He's gonna supply me with loaner props to get it dialed in

19 hours ago, Mvice8489 said:

Sad  hear that he passed away just prior to it almost being finished.  Did he pass away unexpectedly?

No

Three year battle with pancreatic cancer

On 5/30/2017 at 1:10 PM, Stinger390X said:

We're going to change out pulleys to de tune to 800s so I don't have to mess with race gas all the time.

Childhood friend of mine is head of the prop division at Merc. He's gonna supply me with loaner props to get it dialed in

• 5 years later...