Mixing & Mastering

Den Taylor

Does anyone know if Jan did the mixing/EQing/mastering all by himself?
Most musicians/ music labels have producers, studio engineers, mastering engineers etc. Since I am in the process of finalizing/ mastering my Miami Vice like album and so far find it to be a rather frustrating process I'm really wondering if Jan took on these tasks as well. I assume so, at least with all the MV stuff. From what I remember he EQued and remastered the songs for the CC completely from scratch, right? The sound is so crisp and superb, it's almost unreal! (compared to some productions by other artists) What about back in the days....would he have enough time to do the mastering himself with the tight series schedule??

p.s.: I'm pretty new to the process of EQing and mastering so I'm thinking of outsourcing it to a pro - which of course wouldn't be cheap so I'm hesitant. I'll try to do it myself first but it really is tedious and time consuming. Does anyone happen to know someone who is good with this stuff and has an 80's music background? 

• Like 1

Escape from Television was mastered by Bob Ludwig. Legend. 

Believe it or not, there's no indication anywhere in the liner notes of the Complete Collection as to who mastered the previously unreleased tracks (assuming most  the others are the original Ludwig masters). 

To my knowledge, what is heard on the DVDs was all Jan's own doing, except for the sound mixers of the final product of the episodes. Who knows exactly what they did to it once received?!?!

• Like 1

Oh that is interesting. It is possible that the episode mixers actually were the ones to put more reverb on it or what have you in order to blend the cues in with the scenes more. Though Jan probably already did a good job with that. As for the CC I'm preytt sure I read in an interview with Jan that he did all the mastering himself? At least for the unreleased songs. And it took him about a year or so?

Thanks to your informtion I did some research on Bob Ludwig. Found this pretty interesting interview, maybe you'll enjoy it too.

http://performermag.com/new-music-and-video/interviews-and-features/interview-with-mastering-engineer-bob-ludwig/

He has his own mastering company Gateway Mastering Studios but you can bet your life on it that they are really expensive. (I actually did some research on that too) But that's totally understandable seeing he's been mastering for like 40 years and all the big names too. And he won many grammys for that. Oddly enough, when the articles mention his portfolio Jan Hammer usually doesn't get mentioned. :thumbsdown:

• Like 2