Twin Peaks

C Glide

Anyone watching the new Twin Peaks? Loved the original and now that I have watched the first three episodes it is really coming together and I am amazed. Very very good. Now on to ep. 4.

• 3 years later...

I’m surprised there’s no replies! I love “Twin Peaks”, however I did not watch the newest Showtime season. I heard it was not good and know it wouldn’t still have that late 80s - early 90s vibe (along with the 50s-60s nostalgia vibe it had).

”Twin Peaks” was my favorite show before I saw a little show called, eh em, “Miami Vice”. Then “Vice” became my favorite. After some years thought, “Twin Peaks” is still one of my top 5 shows, but maybe not number two.

I don’t want to spoil any plots here if not many people have seen the show. There are definitely some very shocking moments!

On 6/3/2017 at 6:22 AM, C Glide said:

Anyone watching the new Twin Peaks? Loved the original and now that I have watched the first three episodes it is really coming together and I am amazed. Very very good. Now on to ep. 4.

I seen  the new one and its surprising good. Well worth watching.

The original show was outstanding from start to finish. It had everything, tension, comedy, it was surreal and sometimes frightening. The way Lynch and Frost creating the characters was genius, and the music by Angelo Badalamenti, just breathtaking. 

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

Yes, outstanding characters and music! “Love Theme” is one of the most beautiful, but heart-wrenching songs.

Edited by AndrewRemington

This is one of those shows I've been meaning to watch for a long time but never got around to it. There's so many great shows out there that it's not humanly possible to see them all.:( Movies are way more manageable.

I saw Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart for the first time a couple weeks ago and they were.. interesting. :D They were really good but weird AF.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Vincent Hanna said:

This is one of those shows I've been meaning to watch for a long time but never got around to it. There's so many great shows out there that it's not humanly possible to see them all.:( Movies are way more manageable.

I saw Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart for the first time a couple weeks ago and they were.. interesting. :D They were really good but weird AF.

Yes, this show definitely captures the weird and interesting of Blue Velvet and Wild at Heart. Blue Velvet, as you know, stars Kyle MacLachlan as a college student playing detective. A lot of Twin Peaks fans think his character there is really just a young version of the FBI agent he plays on Twin Peaks. Their names are different but really the same character. The show has thriller elements, comedy elements, bizarre/absurd/surreal moments, horror elements, drama/soap opera elements. It’s just fantastic. However, I think the show is only good for the first season and the first half of the second second. They shouldn’t have gone any further. They should’ve just made it as a miniseries, I think.

Angelo Badalamenti’s music in the show is also very enjoyable. Quite odd for a show from 1990. This particular track has a 1940s/50s film noir/jazz vibe. 

• Like 1

I've seen The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart and Mulholland Drive.

Oh and the one where Lynch talks to a monkey ?(

16 minutes ago, Vincent Hanna said:

I've seen The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart and Mulholland Drive.

Oh and the one where Lynch talks to a monkey ?(

LOL, I haven’t seen that one yet. I think that’s a Netflix original? I think he’s gotten even weirder when he’s gotten older. I would definitely recommend Lost Highway if you liked Mulholland Drive!

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2017 at 1:22 AM, C Glide said:

I have the 3rd season dvd set and I got thru 5 or 6 eps before getting sidetracked. I was thoroughly engrossed, being a Lynch fan already, and I'll have to start over again. There are many great and hilarious moments throughout. We also get to see sides of MacLachlan we don't normally see, including some very dark stuff. I also have the Criterion edition of Fire Walk With Me which I highly recommend. Most of Lynch's films are in fact being reissued on Criterion these days. If only they'd do Dune...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bren10 said:

I have the 3rd season dvd set and I got thru 5 or 6 eps before getting sidetracked. I was thoroughly engrossed, being a Lynch fan already, and I'll have to start over again. There are many great and hilarious moments throughout. We also get to see sides of MacLachlan we don't normally see, including some very dark stuff. I also have the Criterion edition of Fire Walk With Me which I highly recommend. Most of Lynch's films are in fact being reissued on Criterion these days. If only they'd do Dune...

I’ve tried to watch Dune so many times and every time I fall asleep within the first half hour. Fire Walk With Me is great. I prefer Moira Kelly as Donna. To me she nearly stole the movie with her beauty. She also had a lot more warmer, passionate performance as Donna. Lara Flynn Boyle seemed kinda zoned out.

It helps with Dune if you are a fan of the book and Frank Herbert, although Lynch's version is not very true to the book. But there are great things about that film. The Sci Fi miniseries and its sequel are far more accurate. I also liked Moira. The Cutting Edge with DB Sweeney is a great date movie with her.

Just for the sake of us being Miami Vice fans, it’s fun to see all the similar cast.

David Patrick Kelly from “Home Invaders” was a regular on Twin Peaks, Joan Chen from “Golden Triangle Part II” was a regular on Twin Peaks, Lenny Von Dohlen from “Give A Little, Take A Little” was in several Twin Peaks episodes. Am I missing anybody?

26 minutes ago, Bren10 said:

It helps with Dune if you are a fan of the book and Frank Herbert, although Lynch's version is not very true to the book. But there are great things about that film. The Sci Fi miniseries and its sequel are far more accurate. I also liked Moira. The Cutting Edge with DB Sweeney is a great date movie with her.

Gotcha. I’ve never read Dune or anything Frank Herbert. I’m not a huge book reader, myself. I know that makes me seem low IQ, lol.

31 minutes ago, Bren10 said:

Lynch himself was not pleased with the film, but it is actually much better than he thinks it is. In many ways this cult classic is a fascinating film and even at times a great one. It should be of special interest to sci-fi fans in particular. For them, I would say this is a don’t miss film. It was certainly a beautiful film to watch and the special effects are stunning. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bren10 said:

Miguel Ferrer from Death and the Lady and To Have and to Hold RIP

Aw man, how could I forget about him? He was a terrific guy. I would have loved to meet him before he passed. He was really great in Robocop and a few episodes of Tales From The Crypt as well!

He was hilarious on Twin Peaks though. That’s how I’ll always remember him, as Albert Rosenfeld.

Lynch wasn't happy because he didn't have final cut. But he knew that going in. It was a big budget Hollywood movie and he was going to have to compromise control, especially since it was only like his 3rd film and the first with any real budget behind it. I think he was hoping somewhere during the process that De Laurentis would bend for him, but that never happened. I think he blames himself for this as much as others which is why so many bad feelings. He also hated the unapproved TV extended version which was a real mess editing and gaffe-wise, hence the Allen Smithee director's credit and Judas Booth screenplay credit.

Edited by Bren10

Eraserhead was the first Lynch film I ever saw. While I do love it, I definitely understand why some people don’t like it. It means a lot to me because it really opened by eyes as a fan of film. It opened me up to symbolism.

8 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

It’s just fantastic. However, I think the show is only good for the first season and the first half of the second second. They shouldn’t have gone any further. They should’ve just made it as a miniseries, I think.

A lot of fans think that as well but the decline in quality is primarily because ABC pressured Lynch and Frost to reveal who the killer was in the second season which pretty much killed it because the whole show wasn't just about finding the killer but the effect her death had on the town and how it led to the town's more sordid side to be brought out in the open. Her death became a catalyst that revealed a lot of other mysteries and crimes in the town as she was right in the middle of it all from the drug trafficking over the Canadian border to Ben Horne's involvement in One-Eyed Jacks to even the supernatural elements that had long since haunted the woods. Notice after her murder is solved a lot of the deeper mysteries suddenly dried up because she was a big part of them. The show's last episode is great and certainly essential viewing for those who plan on seeing the newer series.

As you asked earlier about the new show. I knew back when it first premiered it was going to be a hard show to swallow for some as it's not the same type of show as before. Lynch's career had really changed by that point as his work had changed in tone. The newer season is a lot closer to Lost Highway and Mulholland Dr. than it is to the original series but in ways it makes sense for it to have the same tone as those films as the more supernatural elements of those films were definitely in the same sort of realm as the lodge entities from Twin Peaks so given how that is central to the newer series continuing not only Twin Peaks but the tone set by those films feels like a natural progression. I won't spoil much else about it as it's definitely worth avoiding spoilers for the full effect of the show's many twists although I will say Kyle MacLachlan really goes all out for the new show plus David Lynch himself returns as Gordon Cole and has a lot of great scenes with Miguel Ferrer. If the rest of the show wasn't worth watching I'd still say watch it for Lynch and Miguel working together. The show also ties things from the movie Fire Walk With Me into the plot and took it from something that was kind of treated like a forgotten footnote to something that is key to the overall Twin Peaks story.

4 hours ago, Bren10 said:

Most of Lynch's films are in fact being reissued on Criterion these days. If only they'd do Dune...

Dune is getting a new release from Arrow Video sometime in the future and while the chances of Lynch's involvement are well below zero percent it will most likely be a Criterion-level release as they generally put a lot of effort into their releases. I imagine at the very least it will have a newer restoration and maybe even the longer cut from the Extended Edition released years ago if available to them.

• Like 2