Vintage 80's Photos of the Vice Look

Marco Falcone

Was going through some old photos from "back in the day."  Found some of me doing the Vice look in "real time," mostly late high school/early college.  Graduated high school in CA in 1987, so there are from 1986 until about 1988-89.

Had to add the black anonymity bar, as I'm still involved with doing the "Job" for real.  But I think it's pretty clear from the clothes and the "bi-level" hair cut (NOT a mullett!) that I've been a fan from the beginning!

I ask everyone to try and find and post some "vintage" photos of their own '80's/Vice memories.

Crockett-y.png

Tubbs-ish.png

Crockett + Tubbs = 1987.png

Burnett-ish.png

Rites of Passage.png

• Like 8

The suspenders in the first one had little palm trees printed on them.  It was for one of those boat dances on the Bay.  My buddy and I brought those old "EnterTech" battery-powered squirt guns that looked just like real Micro-Uzi's; all black/no orange, actual size, and the water went into the removable magazine.  And we weren't the only ones. Original theme playing on the tape deck in my Ford Falcon, driving like jack-asses around the parking lot by the dock "shooting" at each other from our cars...  Our girlfriends were into it too.  Still amazed we weren't arrested or shot for real.  They wouldn't let us bring them on the boat, though.

Last one is my homage to John Turturro in "Rites of Passage," though I doubt I knew it at the time.

Good memories.

• Like 1

Marco you look fantastic!  My favorite is the one of you wearing the hat. I really wish I could find photos of me from back in the 80s.  Due to  numerous moves and bad relationships a lot was lost including, unfortunately, all my photos. As soon as my time machine is finished I am going back to the Vice decade and retaking the pictures.  Until then I will have to wear the vintage clothing I have today. 

Thanks Vicefan.  When my folks moved a few years ago, they had this giant box of loose photos.  Went through them one day and found some real gems.  

The hat pic is from our Senior Year Fashion show in 1987.  Don't have any of the clothes any more, but I still have my original black B&L RayBan Wayfarers from back then.  Weird what sticks with you throughout the years.

Unfortunately, I can pretty much never find any vintage in my size.  I wear a 48 regular jacket and 36 waist, and it seems that nothing over a 44 jacket survived the decade.  

When you finish that time machine, let me know if you want a co-pilot who can also pull security.

• 1 year later...
On 6/6/2017 at 5:27 PM, Marco Falcone said:

I ask everyone to try and find and post some "vintage" photos of their own '80's/Vice memories.

My 1987 photo is nowhere near as cool as yours. Many here have seen mine before, but I’ll honor your request in hopes that more will follow suit (pun intended). :p

3C701888-1550-43F3-A1AB-9CA6DA0AA22E.jpeg

• Like 3

Dadrian:  I would appear I’m a little older than you...  But you are still rocking it in real time!

I remember that white suit in my first pic was the real deal I spent almost all my summer income on.  Drove to SF to get it.  I remember the guy in the men’s designer section of the fancy department store telling me there was a “Miami Vice” Department in the Young Men’s section, where I could buy pretty much the same thing for a helluva lot less.

I told I didn’t want “pretty much the same thing.”  I wanted the real thing.  And since I couldn’t put a Sig 220 or Bren 10 under it, that was the best I was going to get.  (Now I can run the guns, but haven’t found any vintage clothes that fit me.   I don’t anything over a size 44 jacket survived, and I’m a 48).  I’m pretty sure it was Nino Cerruti.  I think I may have posted on here in another post that it was Hugo Boss but I don’t think it was.

The outfit with the hat was all legit from a serious Euro-designer boutique as well.  Senior Fashion show 1987.  Me, my best bud, and our dates/partners for the show (who happened to be these white-hot rocker twin sisters), went there instead of the usual “Miller’s Outpost/Chess King” options everyone else was doing.  I remember we were all drinking espresso and Chablis at the fitting in the boutique and thinking “If I damage just the shirt I’m going to be broke!”   I recall they let me keep the shirt and the hat, but the pants and blazer were hundreds of dollars each.   All gone now.

Such great memories...

N

• Thanks 1