New fan here! Wow

Boca Raton

Hi,
I'm new here & just started really watching Miami Vice.
I recently turned 36 & grew up watching MV when it was on the air back in the 80's, because I was 3 yrs old when the show started I have fragments of memories of the show mostly toward the end - I vividly remember when DJ became a bad guy thinking it was pure genius and of course DJ living on a boat w/ an alligator!
I first visited Miami in 1989 when I was 8 & it was magical, I kept visiting throughout the years and even lived there in the early 2000's & it was just like the TV show! However, each time I came to Miami it got worse & worse and it's a fairly horrible place nowadays (I visit once a year).
It's mostly the people- it's the most rude people ever, the worst drivers, traffic etc.
The people of Miami are no longer mostly Cuban/Puerto Rican/Haitian but it's more Canadians (who per license plates own most of the Rolls Royce's you see on the streets & buy up all the condos and rent/sell them for insane prices so no one can afford them) & Russians (beautiful looking people but very cold/unfriendly)
Miami to me was this hot & humid neon city on the ocean - pure magic, now it's peacocks on amphetamines.
Sorry had to get that off my chest!
Anyways so I'm rewatching on TV & thinking of getting the BluRay set - is it worth it? does the video quality make a difference?
I literally just started the 1st episode of season 5.
Season 1 & 2 are super fun, season 3 is weird - less fun but still good, season 4 is a mixed bag up/down/serious/fun/absurd. I've heard season 5 is the worst so I'm nervous...
I enjoy how the show gets darker & darker as the years go on - I just hate the stupid & boring episodes (which creep up in 3 & go out of control in season 4)
So far I only hate the DJ wedding episode - seems out of place & find the Cow Sperm ep boring & the UFO ep just dumb.
I can't think of too many TV shows from the 80's that made any impact so this show rocks!
I could see it going as far as 1992 but after that grunge took hold & the 90's was the antithesis of what was MV.

Edited by Boca Raton
  • Like 2

Welcome to the site! A lot of great stuff and great people here. 

I've never had the bad experience in Miami you speak of. Also, I've noticed more Latinos than ever. I guess it depends on where you go?

• Like 1

Welcome to the site!  There are a couple of threads discussing the new Blu-ray releases, I encourage you to read over and then decide whether you want to invest :)  If I had not just bought a complete set of DVDs 6 months before the Mill Creek Blu-ray release I probably would have sprung; the introductory price was pretty good (I thought).  But since I still haven't viewed all of my DVDs (why do I have to go to work every day?!?!?) I decided to not go for the new format.

Would love to see Miami and I'm sure it has its good side and its bad side; apparently there has been a lot of growth since the 80s, evidenced by how so many of the buildings we saw in Vice have been torn down and replaced.  It would not be the same but I'd like to see it anyway!  

Welcome Boca Raton!  Too bad Miami has departed from the way it was in the 80's. I want to go there, but my wife feels it's too crowded & we won't enjoy ourselves.

You echo a lot about the MV episodes that we all have discussed. Especially, "Missing Hours" with the UFOs.

Enjoy the site & the various discussions. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the Vice family.  We come in different age groups but have the same thing in common. We all love Miami Vice and the 80s!  Enjoy your stay.