RIP Batman

Vicefan7777

Anyone old enough to remember the campy 1960 series "Batman" will always remember that unique voice of Adam West.  He passed away today at age 88.  Now he is fighting the "Joker" and the "Penguin" above.  

I grew up on Batman and the Monkees

I loved the crazy antics of the original series as it was very "campy" and the jokes were just groaners!

I loved the full length movie as well and own the DVD. My favourite line is when Batman is on a pier trying to get rid of a bomb that is about to explode! On one side is a pair of lovers necking in a rowboat and on the other side are a mother duck and a few ducklings. He can't throw the bomb in the water and he is running back and forth on the dock and he says" Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb"

I laugh my a$$ off every time I see that! I even giggle a bit when I think about it.

Many years ago I had my hot rod at the Toronto International Car Show. George Barris was in attendance signing autographs etc and the ZZ Top car was a row behind me. There was a small room downstairs for the show participants with coffee and snacks which was a quiet place to get away from all the noise. I was down there all alone when in walks George Barris and we sat and chatted for some time. He told me lots of stories from the old Batman TV show. One of them is that he built three cars, two for the TV show and one for the Car Show Circuit. I asked why he had two cars for the TV show and he told me that Adam West and the boys would go out for a "Barley" Lunch and come back in the afternoon all giggles and hellfire. The scene where Batman drives out of the Batcave at 70-80mph was a sped-up camera trick but the walls of the batcave were not rock but paper mache and chicken wire. After a few drinks Adam West would be bounching off the walls scratching the paint on the car so Barris had to touch it up, thus two cars.

They had a blast working there and laughed everyday. Sadly he was typecast as the superhero, and had trouble finding work later.

I loved his character as the crazy mayor in Family guy and you can tell West had a good sense of humour.

He will be missed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stinger390X said:

I loved the full length movie as well and own the DVD. My favourite line is when Batman is on a pier trying to get rid of a bomb that is about to explode! On one side is a pair of lovers necking in a rowboat and on the other side are a mother duck and a few ducklings. He can't throw the bomb in the water and he is running back and forth on the dock and he says" Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb"

I laugh my a$$ off every time I see that! I even giggle a bit when I think about it.

YES Stinger390X that is the scene that came to my mind when I think about the movie.  I am going to have to rewatch this very entertaining film. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Victor said:

RIP Batman,the first Batman I saw as a kid and will always remember.

Yes a sad day - Adam West played that role well

RIP to an incredibly prolific actor, much more so than I realized as per imdb:  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001842/

Who could forget some of the comic fight scenes in Batman, such as the time the dynamic duo faced off against the Green Hornet and Kato. There was a story from Burt Ward's (Robin) book where he says that 'leading up to to the fight scene Lee decided to play a joke on him. He didn’t say a word, he just stared at him and acted angry all day. When they started filming Lee acted like he was going to fight for real, which terrified Ward and put him into a panic until Lee laughed revealing that it was all a joke.'

http://www.thelastdragontribute.com/bruce-lee-kato-vs-burt-ward-robin-1967/