Homoerotic sauna scene in "Hostile Takeover"?

mirrorimageegamirorrim

I don't get what is happening at 16:00 in this episode. Sonny kills El Gato's guy in the sauna after he appears to make a move on another guy in the sauna (but was apparently rebuffed?).  Afterwards, El Gato calls the guy who got killed a "special friend".  Are they implying that El Gato is a homosexual?  WTH is going here??!    

I guess I'm just naive because I never really noticed or thought about El Gato being gay.  A psychopathic, flamboyant gay man makes for interesting television even today, but especially for this era.  In a series stuffed with memorable villains, he may be the most memorable.  

• 1 year later...

come on violet long gloves, zebra vest. plus it's impossible not to notice this at the end, when he's about to suicide, and he kills his mignon. look how the boyfriend is dressed up. i interpret the scene of the sauna as follow. the killer is gay, but pervet, that why the beautiful blond gay man isn't keen to go on. Crockett enters, and as a real bad boy makes no differences between all the witnesses present. btw, i just noticed that the blond gay man is the little prince guy

On 9/21/2018 at 11:13 PM, jpm1 said:

come on violet long gloves, zebra vest. plus it's impossible not to notice this at the end, when he's about to suicide, and he kills his mignon. look how the boyfriend is dressed up. i interpret the scene of the sauna as follow. the killer is gay, but pervet, that why the beautiful blond gay man isn't keen to go on. Crockett enters, and as a real bad boy makes no differences between all the witnesses present. btw, i just noticed that the blond gay man is the little prince guy

Never realised that about the blonde guy in that scene from “Littke Prince” but now you say it - I think it could be him ?

El Gato was a great character and he camped it up too- a good strange villain.

• 5 months later...
On 9/21/2018 at 11:13 PM, jpm1 said:

That guy was Mark Jorgenson?

Edited by RedDragon86

i can't affirm it. but looks like him. with all the reappearances we see in the series i hardly see why they would have taken another guy. if it's not him it's his double. i mean same noose, same large eyebrows, same looking eyes. immediately when i saw him i thought to LP guy. i can't affirm it, but for me it's M. J. . he has that immediately recognizable 1st of the class look you know

VWlcuxu.jpg

Edited by jpm1

On 3/22/2019 at 9:36 PM, jpm1 said:

i can't affirm it. but looks like him. with all the reappearances we see in the series i hardly see why they would have taken another guy. if it's not him it's his double. i mean same noose, same large eyebrows, same looking eyes. immediately when i saw him i thought to LP guy. i can't affirm it, but for me it's M. J. . he has that immediately recognizable 1st of the class look you know

VWlcuxu.jpg

You’re right very similar if not him.

• 3 months later...

Yeah, I had never seen that Wiki before just now when I searched for

Mark Jorgenson on IMDB and on startpage.  Thanks for the heads-up.

• Thanks 1

This has nothing to do with the show or this episode, but you might find this interesting-  In 1975, a co-worker of mine got married and went to Miami for his honeymoon. He and his new wife went out to dinner one night and after dinner, they went to a bar for a drink or two. After having a couple of drinks, they went back to their hotel room and turned on the TV just in time for the local news. One of the stories on the news was the real Miami vice squad had raided the bar they were just at for being a gay bar. My co-worker and his wife said they had NO IDEA that they were drinking in a gay bar.

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...

M. Lichtenstein is gay, and still a good looking man. i post it as he plays the gay so well in the scene, that i was wondering if he wasn't really gay. i don't care about his private life, but it's interesting for MV fans (i think)

https://miamivice.fandom.com/wiki/Mitchell_Lichtenstein

Edited by jpaul1