T.V. shows you're watching!

cageyJG

Anyone care to share what they're watching nowadays?

Just started watching Hill Street Blues - 1980s cop show set in Chicago.  Used to watch it back in the day.  

30?region=US&size=952x536

• Like 1

I'm watching Fargo season 3 at the moment.

Not sure what to make of the third season though.

Season 1, despite the occasional weird jokes and absurd moments, was a taut suspense-driven drama which had lots of elements of modern Scandinavian neo-Noir in it. Season 2 definitely had the better cinematography and is visually an impeccable recreation of late 1970s small town America, and it had a decent storyline... but alien spaceships?? Really??

Season 3 just kind of bumbles along back and forth between Coen Brothers self-reference and "oh, right, we've got a story to tell, let's get back to that". Critics' reviews for season 3 tend to be favorable, but I have a feeling that they're losing me as a fan with every week that passes. Sad thing really, because I generally like what the Coen Brothers do, and movies like The Big Lebowski (which receives heavy reference in episode 8 of season 3) are among my all-time favorites. But somehow, the whole concept of the Fargo TV series is starting to become unglued.

Edited by Daytona74

Whoa, there was a Season 3 to Fargo????  Thought it cut off at Season 2.

I've introduced a few people to the show.  Billy Bob Thornton is such a riot. Also, love the distinct middle-of-nowhere feeling from this series.  Just watched the S.1. finale again a few days ago.  Haven't seen S.2 yet.

Trying to make sense out of Hill St.  right now. The multiple plot-lines at one time was both an innovation and a distraction, some said.  But it won multiple awards back in the day.

http://sockshare.net/watch/vMpRy0Zd-hill-street-blues-season-1/episode-3.html

I am kind of reminded of Miami Vice when it comes to Fargo's different seasons.

Season one, despite its very capable and highly acclaimed personnel, was still a surprise hit in its magnitude that nobody had really expected. In season two, everything got turned up a notch, it looked stunning and gave viewers more of what they liked about season one, while exploring a few new things.

This is true so far both for seasons 1 and 2 of Miami Vice and of Fargo.

But season three of Fargo is starting to lose its edge, it still has many elements of what people liked about seasons one and two, but somehow, it is going in a direction which the producers may think is a good idea, but they are beginning to lose loyal fans - like me - who were expecting season three to be more in line with the other two seasons.

Season four of Fargo, if there is going to be one, will probably have to reconsider some of the more wacky elements which it allowed to creep in during the current third season. Either it will fail, like Miami Vice did, because it will have gone too far off the path of virtue and too deep into the woods, or it will return to its old virtues of what made seasons one and two such a popular success.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cageyJG said:

Anyone care to share what they're watching nowadays?

Just started watching Hill Street Blues - 1980s cop show set in Chicago.  Used to watch it back in the day.  

30?region=US&size=952x536

Great Show. Used to be one of my favorites back then. Great theme by Mike Post, Anthony Yerkovich among the creators. The squad Capt. was named Furillo. Doesn't it remind you something?

Btw, the answer to your question is: nothing.
I no longer watch TV Shows, and generally speaking I no longer watch TV, with very few exceptions.

• Like 3

untitled-51.gif

I watched all three seasons of Star Wars Rebels in the last month. :)

It's aimed at children just like the films but has some fantastic episodes and season finales.

I'd recommend it if you're a fan and like seeing more of the Star Wars universe.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Nothing at the moment, except for the usual Miami Vice and Burn Notice. Waiting for Ray Donovan to start again. 

• Like 1

My wife and I are big fans of the paranormal reality shows.  Every week we watch Paranormal Lockdown, My Haunted House, and Ghost Brothers.  I don;t know who believes in spirit activity but we both have had things happen to us that makes me wonder about an after life. 

• Like 1

Jerry, I hear you.  It's amazing to think that maybe 10 years ago if we said the same thing, we'd be like, "Huh?"  but I'm in the same boat.  I have few things I really get into. Why that is - kinda tough to say.  What kind of threads unite nostalgia-lovers in general???

However, it's kind of nice to unwind watching something on my laptop. 

I used to love Craig Ferguson's late-nite show that ran from around 2010-2015.  Sad that one's gone.

Right now, I've been catching up on the tattoo/reality game show Ink Master.  http://www.mywatchseries.ac/serie/ink_master

Up next might be Magnum P.I., if I don't keep watching Hill St. Blues.  

I primarily do with DVD/Blu-rays nowadays as my Mom and I cut the cable a few years back. Just finished watching the first Twin Peaks again and caught the first two episodes of the new series on Youtube a while back (Showtime put the first two up for a weekend to celebrate National Doughnut Day). The original is still one of the best mystery shows created. Even knowing what the outcome was going to be your mind still wanders about the town's many mysteries and how it ties into what's in those woods. The new show seems to be taking a different and darker direction than the original (which to be honest was expected given Showtime gave David Lynch full control over the final product) and has more of a Mulholland Dr. feel than the original Twin Peaks but it's still Lynch at his creative best and far above his previous film Inland Empire.

I've kept up with recaps from Youtubers for the episodes that have aired since the first two though and while it definitely dipped a little bit in pace from the sound of things after episode four this past weeks episode seems to have put it back on track and brought back the old Twin Peaks feel to an extent. Still plan on waiting for the Blu-ray to come out before a full viewing instead of streaming it as right from the jump I could tell it's more an eighteen hour follow-up film to the original series cut into eighteen segments rather than something episodic like the original was.

14 hours ago, cageyJG said:

I used to love Craig Ferguson's late-nite show that ran from around 2010-2015.  Sad that one's gone.

Craig had the best talk show since Carson. His worked because it was so creative and laid back and he always seemed to bring out the best and goofiest sides of his guest. Thankfully a lot of those shows have been archived on Youtube and are still a lot of fun to return to.

Edited by agent 47

On 6/13/2017 at 9:37 PM, Daytona74 said:

I'm watching Fargo season 3 at the moment.

Not sure what to make of the third season though.

One of the composer(s) for the series is doing a Reddit AMA interview today - https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/6i8f8l/i_am_jeff_russo_emmynominated_composer_of_fargo/?utm_content=title&utm_medium=hot&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=frontpage

was binge watching reruns of Monk last month on Hallmark movie channel. Started watching Mad Men reruns on AUD last week. Been watching the Genius mini series on Einstein that ends tonight on nat geo. tried watching the show Still Star Crossed on ABC, but missed last nights show. 

I feel like i'm back watching a lot of shows. I watch Gotham and Big Bang Theory and Once Upon a Time during the regular tv season. i guess unique appeals to me since there's been so many NCIS CSI derivatives for so long on tv.

• Like 1

Lately I've been watching Better Call Saul and Animal Kingdom on TNT. Both great.

I need to get caught up on Fargo Season 3. I've seen the first episode but wasn't too impressed so far.

Other shows I love, besides MV, include

.The Sopranos

.Married...With Children

.Seinfeld

.Two and a Half Men

.Frasier

.Cheers

.Archer

.Remington Steele

.Breaking Bad

.Burn Notice

.Bates Motel

.That 70s Show

.Californication

Lol I've had a lot of free time.

• Like 1

Nice list. I bookmark posts like yours just in case!  

I was getting into Married With Children a year or two ago.  Ended up buying Seasons 1-4 all one at a time.  Laughter is so good for my soul.

Off topic - does anyone know if there's just a random chat thread or good place here for people to catch up?  Kinda wanna see what everyone's been up to and share some stuff of my own.  

• 3 weeks later...

Finally watched Fargo season 3. Started out kinda slow, like the previous seasons, but the second half of the season was absolutely fantastic. Especially, the episode that brought back a certain henchman from S1. Gotta recommend this show to anyone who hasn't seen it.

On 11/07/2017 at 10:06 AM, Remington said:

Finally watched Fargo season 3. Started out kinda slow, like the previous seasons, but the second half of the season was absolutely fantastic. Especially, the episode that brought back a certain henchman from S1. Gotta recommend this show to anyone who hasn't seen it.

I loved Fargo S1 and 2 - haven't seen S3 yet looking forward to it :hippie:

Besides going through MV again, I'm currently starting AMC's Mad Men. I had never watched it before...watched a couple episodes on Netflix and really liked it! :thumbsup: So, I got seasons 1&2 pretty cheap on eBay. I'll get the other seasons as I need them. Anyone else watched it...thoughts? It's not a cop/crime show. ;)

• Like 2

Mad Men is right there with Miami Vice and The Sopranos for my personal favorites! Just a magnificent drama. Captures the style and music of the era just like MV did for the 80s. Also, it has a great cast. :thumbsup: 

• Like 4

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Remington said:

Sopranos is my favorite after MV. Mainly the first four seasons. Didn't really care for the last two seasons apart from Steve Buscemi.:p

I agree with you there. The first few seasons were amazing, but then it lost it's magic after that.

I feel like it got Americanised, which is an odd thing to say about a TV show which is American, but the first seasons were very Italian, like the way the family acts to hanging out the front of the cafe/restaurant, those sort of things. It accurately shown what it's like to be in Mediterranean family (or what we say in Australia - a wog family). The later seasons lost that magic. 

• Like 1