T.V. shows you're watching!

cageyJG

9 hours ago, Remington said:

I've decided that it's time to finish Remington Steele. Big fan of Pierce Brosnan and anything related to Bond. I bought the complete series and have yet to complete seasons 3-5. Watched a couple episodes tonight. Pretty enjoyable and uplifting show.

One of my favorite  memories of Tuesday nights was watching this show.  Loved the story lines, the banter between Mr Steele and Laura Holt and let me tell you I had a big crush on actress Stephanie Zimbalist.  Enjoy your viewing. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Remington said:

I've decided that it's time to finish Remington Steele. Big fan of Pierce Brosnan and anything related to Bond. I bought the complete series and have yet to complete seasons 3-5. Watched a couple episodes tonight. Pretty enjoyable and uplifting show.

Awesome and fun show! :thumbsup: I grew up with it, and then when it went off the air over the years I  tried to tape all the reruns on different cable networks, but could never quite seem to get every episode. For some reason when the DVD sets came out I never got around to getting them right away.

About 5-6 years ago I decided I wanted the show...so I set out acquiring the DVD season sets. The 1st-2nd seasons weren’t too hard to find, although they were more pricy than when first released. But season 3 was almost impossible to find...for some reason it appeared more rare with availability (at that time anyway)! I finally found a set on Amazon and I had to pay an arm & a leg to get it!! :eek: But, it was worth it to get the entire series. ;) 

If I remember right seasons 4-5 are together in one set, as “season 5” is actually a few TV movies that they came back and did when fans were outraged that the show had been cancelled after season 4–so the network made them come back for the movies to compromise with viewers.

Sadly for Pierce, he was slated to be Bond (007) after Roger Moore...but because he was still under contract for R.S., he had to forego Bond and return to do the TV movies. Of course he eventually did become 007 in 1995. Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan were and still are my favorite Bonds! But Pierce will always be Remington Steele to me. :cool:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just started watching "THE AMERICANS" great music.

Drama about the complex marriage of two KGB spies posing as Americans in suburban Washington, D.C., during the Reagan administration. The arranged marriage of Philip and Elizabeth Jennings grows more passionate and genuine by the day, but as the pressures and demands of the job grow heavier, the personal toll becomes almost too exhausting to bear, especially when it comes to protecting their American-born children, Paige and Henry. They also face the risk of discovery by their friend and neighbor FBI agent Stan Beeman, who is tasked with uncovering Soviet illegals hiding in plain sight.

Edited by MTVcops

About a month ago I started going through the original Hawaii Five-0 (1968-1980), with Jack Lord again. I actually really do like and enjoy the new, or current ‘Five-0’, but there’s nothing quite like the original—the locations, plots, characters, colors, the cars, ahead-of-it’s-time use on TV of forensics (for what was known & available for the time) to sometimes help solve crimes, to of course the famous theme song! :glossy:

How I love this show! It was the longest running cop-drama until 2003...when the original Law & Order finally passed it up with its 13th season. “Book ‘em, Danno...murder one! Be there... aloha!“ —Steve McGarrett   :thumbsup: 

ECA0392E-DC4B-411B-9BE2-49A0A7582034.jpeg

• Administrators

Tried watching the new show "Station 19" about firefighters.  As a former firefighter I know I'm more critical than most but I just have to say that this show is a total crock of s**t!  "Chicago Fire" got it right!

14 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Tried watching the new show "Station 19" about firefighters.  As a former firefighter I know I'm more critical than most but I just have to say that this show is a total crock of s**t!  "Chicago Fire" got it right!

I also would not recommend this show Lou.

After seeing the new The X-Files season earlier this year (pretty mixed on it, some good episodes like The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat but the overall story arc involving the Cigarette Smoking Man had gotten too over-the-top and downright stupid plus the last ten minutes of the final episode was awful and made the season almost a waste) I've been revisiting the classic episodes particularly season two which was definitely the show at it's peak. Hadn't watch the old series since the early 2000s when it ended and the Kolchak: The Night Stalker influence has become a lot more noticeable particularly the Flukeman episode which make the show feel almost like a continuation of what that show had set out to do. Weird realizing this show is near twenty-five years old as to me this was one of the most cutting edge shows as a kid.

Also have been going through the British Sci-Fi comedy Red Dwarf on Britbox finishing Season Ten last night. One of the odd cases where the show got better over time as while it was very funny when it started I'd say the show really started firing on all cylinders after Season Three when the full cast had formed. Infinitely quotable and hilarious with an almost no-holds barred approach with some episodes getting downright dark and existential but always having a good comedic endpoint.

• Like 1

Red Dwarf is a great, hilarious and classic show. I think it was at it's best from seasons 3 to 6.

• Like 2

Quite enjoying the French show “Riviera” mainly for the beautiful south of France locations.

Edited by Matt5

Was visiting a friend this weekend and the freezing rain let us indulge in binge watching Netflix.

We watched the entire series 1 of "Lost in Space" I knew about this reboot two years ago as my best friend was the designer of all the sets over in Vancouver. I saw some of his artwork and was intrigued by the new Robot design. The Jupiter II was totally revamped and I was exited to see the series.

It was pretty good and is not all campy like the 1960's series (which is good) The storyline is pretty good with the added drama and suspense expected in any drama series. The story curve is good and ended on a cliffhanger, and I am looking forward to season II.

If you like sci-fi and drama this is a good bet.

Enjoy.....

Another funny series on Netflix was "The Last Man on Earth" Its a half hour comedy serial and it is absolutely ridiculous and full of cliché's.

I love it!

I have only seen season one and two episodes of season 2, so looking forward to seeing the rest soon.

By the way there was an Australian film made back in the 70's I think, with the same title and is a classic cult film. I own a copy of this classic. it's hard to find, but if you get a chance to see it, I recommend it, if your a sci-fi fan like me.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Stinger390X said:

Another funny series on Netflix was "The Last Man on Earth" Its a half hour comedy serial and it is absolutely ridiculous and full of cliché's.

I love it!

I have only seen season one and two episodes of season 2, so looking forward to seeing the rest soon.

By the way there was an Australian film made back in the 70's I think, with the same title and is a classic cult film. I own a copy of this classic. it's hard to find, but if you get a chance to see it, I recommend it, if your a sci-fi fan like me.

I've been watching that show pretty much since it started. I love it too. There's something fresh/original about it. I find that it isn't "haha" funny, but the jokes are enjoyable and sometimes clever. As you said it's ridiculous and full of cliche's and sometimes parodies/references and that makes it really enjoyable to watch. And a million times better than all the garbage sitcoms on TV today like The Big Bang Theory. 

Have been watching earlier seasons of Seinfeld, which I don't have on DVD. And I've been lucky to find all of the episodes on a streaming site with english subtitles. Since there is nothing on TV of interest, decided to re watch some old classic shows from my childhood. Naturally it had to be a comedy series. So currently have also watched The Golden Girls on the web. In one of the episodes there is a reference to MV, when Dorothy with her usual ironic sharp remark says, "No Blanche, I'm upset because Crockett and Tubbs are wearing darker colors." Brooklyn Nine Nine also has a cultural reference in the second season with the Miami Vice theme playing, when Amy and Jake enter the restaurant and he has to "Don Johnson it." Rolling up the sleeves. 

Edited by summer84

1 hour ago, summer84 said:

Have been watching earlier seasons of Seinfeld, which I don't have on DVD. And I've been lucky to find all of the episodes on a streaming site with english subtitles. Since there is nothing on TV of interest, decided to re watch some old classic shows from my childhood. Naturally it had to be a comedy series. So currently have also watched The Golden Girls on the web. In one of the episodes there is a reference to MV, when Dorothy with her usual ironic sharp remark says, "No Blanche, I'm upset because Crockett and Tubbs are wearing darker colors." Brooklyn Nine Nine also has a cultural reference in the second season with the Miami Vice theme playing, when Amy and Jake enter the restaurant and he has to "Don Johnson it." Rolling up the sleeves. 

I started rewatching the early seasons of "Seinfeld" after Curb Your Enthusiasm finished - enjoyed them.

• Like 1

• Administrators

@Stinger390X Speaking of The Last Man on Earth, apparently Fox decided to cancel it after this season which just finished. They cancelled it on the biggest cliff hanger yet. I hate when this happens... It happens to every show I like. :thumbsdown: It seems like more shows are getting cancelled than the amount they are actually letting finish these days. 

They just keep jerking shows around and changing it up very often. No stability at all. One of the main problems with TV these days.

Fox also cancelled Brooklyn Nine-Nine and they ended up getting a deal with NBC, so I hope the creators of this show pitch it to NBC or maybe Netflix or another network and can keep it going. :( 

On 5/11/2018 at 7:36 PM, summer84 said:

I was very impressed when I went back and rewatched the first season of Seinfeld last year. Very funny.:funky:

Edited by Matt5

30 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

I was very impressed when I went back and rewatched the first season of Seinfeld last year. Very funny.:funky:

I'm still watching episodes of S3, but the most funny ones are really in the later seasons. There are some memorable episodes. The stories become more rich, interesting and funnier. A lot of them are actually used from real life. It's a great show, something I can watch over and over. 

Edited by summer84

Not that I've watched, that many new show's, but of those I have, I've also experience them being canceled early on. Magic City was canceled after 2 seasons, which was very disappointing.

Apparently that's the practice network's have nowadays, measuring shows by parameters, that if they aren't successful enough right away it's off the air. Instead of giving them a chance to evolve and more audience to get into it. Had that been the approach before, shows like Seinfeld and even Miami Vice hadn't lasted long. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, summer84 said:

I'm still watching episodes of S3, but the most funny ones are really in the later seasons. There are some memorable episodes. The stories become more rich, interesting and funnier. A lot of them are actually used from real life. It's a great show, something I can watch over and over. 

I agree , I was very impressed when I revisited Season 1 of Seinfeld:fireworks:

Edited by Matt5

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, summer84 said:

Apparently that's the practice network's have nowadays, measuring shows by parameters, that if they aren't successful enough right away it's off the air. Instead of giving them a chance to evolve and more audience to get into it. Had that been the approach before, shows like Seinfeld and even Miami Vice hadn't lasted long. 

That has been my opinion as well. I've always said that "The X-Files" would've been cancelled if it had been on one of the big 3 networks but in the early 90's FOX was a new network without a lot of original programming giving it a chance to build a following.  "Freaks & Geeks" also suffered the same fate you speak of. The show was bounced around from time slot to time slot and eventually cancelled way too soon.

Another reason I think a lot of shows are cancelled is because there are simply too many good shows on TV. There just aren't enough hours or days in the week to watch it all.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

That has been my opinion as well. I've always said that "The X-Files" would've been cancelled if it had been on one of the big 3 networks but in the early 90's FOX was a new network without a lot of original programming giving it a chance to build a following.  "Freaks & Geeks" also suffered the same fate you speak of. The show was bounced around from time slot to time slot and eventually cancelled way too soon.

Another reason I think a lot of shows are cancelled is because there are simply too many good shows on TV. There just aren't enough hours or days in the week to watch it all.

Yes one of the reasons is/can also be, if the show is placed in a bad timeslot and/or being amongst show's which it can't compete against. The Golden Girls was a popular sitcom being constantly in the top 10, in 6 out of it's 7 seasons, but then had a decline in ratings after it was changed to a different timeslot. And that's the fate Miami Vice had as well. Don't understand, if something obviously works perfect, why are they making those changes... 

I remember in the 90's the television was packed with good show's, but can't find any of interest nowadays. Science fiction, superheroes and crime shows aren't really interesting for me. So I have just decided to watch the old classics. 

Edited by summer84

• Administrators

Nothing wrong with old classics. Lately my wife has been on a "Charlie's Angels" kick!  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

The problems with networks today is yes they have too many shows they try to “cram” into a season...but they also cancel any & every thing for whatever reason—or sometimes no reason at all! Instead of giving shows a chance and working with them, they just pull the plug. 

When Cheers first started it had some of the lowest and worst ratings in TV history! :o But the network worked, tweaked, and maneuvered things and it ultimately became one of the most popular & remembered sitcoms in TV history! 

Hunter is another crime drama that also had low ratings in its 1st season and was in danger of cancellation. But the network recognized the chemistry between the stars and/or characters and again maneuvered things to where it eventually became one of the most popular crime shows of the 80s—along with MV. ;)

On 5/14/2018 at 5:14 PM, ViceFanMan said:

The problems with networks today is yes they have too many shows they try to “cram” into a season...but they also cancel any & every thing for whatever reason—or sometimes no reason at all! Instead of giving shows a chance and working with them, they just pull the plug. 

When Cheers first started it had some of the lowest and worst ratings in TV history! :o But the network worked, tweaked, and maneuvered things and it ultimately became one of the most popular & remembered sitcoms in TV history! 

Hunter is another crime drama that also had low ratings in its 1st season and was in danger of cancellation. But the network recognized the chemistry between the stars and/or characters and again maneuvered things to where it eventually became one of the most popular crime shows of the 80s—along with MV. ;)

Really good points here... shows are cancelled far too quickly imo.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:40 AM, James said:

@Stinger390X Speaking of The Last Man on Earth, apparently Fox decided to cancel it after this season which just finished. They cancelled it on the biggest cliff hanger yet. I hate when this happens... It happens to every show I like. :thumbsdown: It seems like more shows are getting cancelled than the amount they are actually letting finish these days. 

They just keep jerking shows around and changing it up very often. No stability at all. One of the main problems with TV these days.

Fox also cancelled Brooklyn Nine-Nine and they ended up getting a deal with NBC, so I hope the creators of this show pitch it to NBC or maybe Netflix or another network and can keep it going. :( 

I know what you mean. I started watching "VINYL" That was produced by Mick Jagger and was a story of the record industry in the late sixties. It was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!!!!!!! I was getting right into it and boom...they cancelled it after one season ... and yes, on a cliffhanger.

I think they did a great job on that show and I re-lived many memories from growing up in that era of records, rock and roll and the influx of punk being born.

• Like 1