Switek and Zito responsible for Gina's attempted murder?

mirrorimageegamirorrim

6 hours ago, Glades said:

Actually there is one episode where they show what happens after a shooting. In "Dutch Oven"  Trudy shoot a bad guy in an alley. After this Internal Affairs did an investigation. Probably this was what usually happened after such incidences.
But you are right. Most time it is not shown.

And I was surprised they did it in "Dutch Oven", because the shooting in this episode was quite usual for MV. I think they showed as as an example, what usually happened, but decided not to do this every time, because is always just the same.

You're right. They did it on occasion, but only if it was necessary to the story. Dutch Over is a great example, and Child's Play is another. In both examples, though, the internal investigation furthered the story and was almost presented as something unusual and not necessarily normal.

• Like 2

Welcome, shallowdraft and thanks for the interesting discussion.

I often wondered about these IAD investigations and why they didn't happen more often. I just thought of another example. When Sonny shoots the child in Child's Play he is on suspension or desk duty until the department cleared him.  

• Like 2

On 7/14/2019 at 3:56 AM, shallowdraft said:

The question that I have about this episode is- If Gina shot Ramirez at the end of the episode, what happened to her ? Or did she miss ? It seems untypical for the series for one of the team to get totally away with a cold-blooded murder, despite her reasons. I am new here, but am I missing something ?

I think maybe, Gina pulling the trigger was justified, as I recall she warned Ramirez twice, but he still kept moving towards her with a knife, so it seems she had no other option, than to shoot him as self defense. He could have harmed her otherwise and she had to act fast. But yes, she would be under investigation afterwards and had to answer, whether everything went by normal standard procedures. Although since Gina was deeply involved in this case, considering what she had experienced undercover, she probably shouldn't have been the one to arrest him the following day. But I guess, this was all, (as I said before) to make it more interesting.

In the end, this was more about showing, what Gina felt, her emotions after such an encounter with Ramrirez, through the lyrics of the song telling her story with no dialogue. 

Another example is, (although brief) in the episode "Heroes of The Revolution" after the shootout Trudy has to answer questions about the shooting, did she identify herself, how many times did she shoot etc. 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 3

I agree with you summer84.

And somewhere here is a thread how many people Sonny shot in the 5 years. If I remember correctly about 100.
Quite a lot. And not very realistic for a cop I think. Even not in Miami and at this time.
Sonny would have been almost more off than on duty if there would have been every time an investigation.
Miami Vice is not a documentation. As Robbie mentioned, there is an investigation when it is important for the story of the episode.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Glades said:

I agree with you summer84.

And somewhere here is a thread how many people Sonny shot in the 5 years. If I remember correctly about 100.
Quite a lot. And not very realistic for a cop I think. Even not in Miami and at this time.
Sonny would have been almost more off than on duty if there would have been every time an investigation.
Miami Vice is not a documentation. As Robbie mentioned, there is an investigation when it is important for the story of the episode.

Yes I agree that it's not realistic. Shootouts happened a lot in the series, but I recall a real life police officer commenting, that it rarely happened in real life. Or I believe, not as frequently as on the show. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, summer84 said:

Yes I agree that it's not realistic. Shootouts happened a lot in the series, but I recall a real life police officer commenting, that it rarely happened in real life. Or I believe, not as frequently as on the show. 

They are quite rare. Even in places like Chicago. But traffic patrol doesn’t make for good drama unless it’s CHiPs. 

• Like 1