Little Things Theyn Got SO RIGHT (Buses don't run)

Marco Falcone

I'm re-watching the series from the start...   Again.  

Anyway, tonight was "Out Where the Buses Don't Run."  I'm sorry, but the Daytona rolling hard to Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" is damn near as epic as the footage of said vehicle running to Phil the Shill's song from season one...

Sorry, I digress.  (May be the Johnnie Walker Black, the other "black.").  Watching "Buses."  Great episode as we all agree.  But then there is that little detail that they threw in, the detail that shows that for all the flash and "MTV cops" and "no earth tones", they actually did their homework and had input from actual cops on the actual job.  That little detail that is there in damn near every episode if you look, if you listen.

I speak of the scene where they are staking out Stiltsville.  Switek and Zito are in their O.P. waiting for something to happen.  And there it is.   The great staple of cop stakeouts for the last 40 or so years...   Sitting on the little table in front of them is that holy grail of sustenance that every Detective/Inspector is all too familiar with;  (Cue heavenly choir of cherubic angels):

The Triangle Box Sandwich.  

Most likely the Tuna Salad, only a "few days" past the sell-by date, from some crappy little Stop-and-Rob a few blocks before the docks.

Magical Triangle Box Tuna Sandwich.  Initiative AND hit bonus if you have a bag of plain ole' Lays potato chips to go with.  (Yes I rolled and occasionally still role a dodecahedron.  Natural 20 gets you the Steyr AUG.)  Switek even asks Zito if he is going to finish it!   That's a solid partner.

Just retired after 23 years on the job, the majority on SWAT/high-risk investigations and as a Firearms/DefTac instructor.  Busted knees, messed-up back, the occasional "gun just won't shoot" dream; but still a full head of hair that is slowly growing out to full Crockett Season 5 glory.  (Don't you dare call it a mullett!  My wife graciously calls it a "bi-level," thank you very much!)

Now that we are getting into the real summer weather out where I live, one of these warm nights when everyone is fast asleep well past Zero-Dark-Thirty, I might just throw the ole Commander into my waistband and head out to where the buses don't run for a little Triangle Box nostalgia.  With a mustard packet and a couple of little paper packs of pepper.   

And some Lays.  

• Like 6

Thanks much.  

There are so many small details, nuanced and subtle that just make the first 2 seasons and a good bit of season 3 so much fun to watch.  Switek and Zito in the first 2 seasons remind me of a bunch a guys I worked with over the years.  I had a Team Sergeant who was a lot like Castillo.  My last partner (and great friend) as an Inspector was African-American and a serious saxophone player.  He was real kick, and a serious sharpie in his suits and ties.  I hated wearing a tie, always wore (and still do wear) black or tortoise Wayfarers, and was rarely in compliance with my Bureau's grooming standards.  (No shoulder holsters though.  Never liked them and they really don't work well when going hand-to-hand.)  More than once we would be in the field doing casework and someone would say something like, "Hey, it Crockett and Tubbs."  I don't think he liked it, but it would always "make my day." 

• Like 3

On 6/17/2017 at 5:31 PM, Marco Falcone said:

More than once we would be in the field doing casework and someone would say something like, "Hey, it Crockett and Tubbs."  I don't think he liked it, but it would always "make my day." 

Hahahahaa!  :) 

Thanks for sharing these tidbits from your time as a cop, Marco Felone. :)
Must be kinda cool to have lived a little bit of that Miami Vice life. Did you ever hear Jan Hammer music playing in your head whenever you chased someone? ;-)

Also Im kinda curious: what did the other cops that you worked with thought of the series.?

Den, 

I heard lots of Jan Hammer music on the job.  Often 'cause I was actually playing it on my iPod in my unmarked car!  One of the big wigs I took care of on a Protective Detail for a week was a huge fan of the show and music, and when I would drive him around the city at night he insisted on "that '80's playlist."  Was like getting paid double.

Most of the cops I worked with who were old enough to have grown up with the show had a soft spot for it.  My detective partner at my second agency and I used to argue "Miami Vice" vs "Crime Story" all the time.  Fun argument, since both Mann shows and both with Farina.  I like to think I won most of the time. 

At one point after working with my last partner for a bit, (referenced above), I asked him in my best Jean Girard/Sacha Baron Cohen/Talledega/lispy Euro-accent, "Will YOU... be my Ricardo Tubbs?"  He laughed so hard he choked on his cioppino.  

Towards the end, I was one of the older guys on my Team/Unit and the youngsters didn't know much about the Show.  I would try to educate them, and some were willing recipients.  But usually I was the old guy talking about a T.V. Show from a decade where the people I was talking to were still using training wheels.

• Like 2

So Miami Vice seems to have shaped ur destiny. Love the stories.

The hair will make u look homeless as it grows out. My wife hated it. Kept telling me to cut it. That people were thinking I was homeless. Don't give in. Stay the course and one day out of nowhere someone will compliment you on your hair. You know at that moment "your representing!" Now, my wife won't let me cut it, lol

IMG_0073.JPG