Shooting Location Map

Sonny-Burnett

@James ,  we used to have a Shooting Location Map that had a number of locations in a map format, and that would be pretty useful for anyone planning a trip to Miami and creating their own "Hit List" of locations to see.  Is this something that can be resurrected?  Thanks...

• Like 1

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

@James ,  we used to have a Shooting Location Map that had a number of locations in a map format, and that would be pretty useful for anyone planning a trip to Miami and creating their own "Hit List" of locations to see.  Is this something that can be resurrected?  Thanks...

Not sure if it could be resurrected. I think it was on the old vBulletin forum?   

Only thing I can think of is using a site where you can create your own map with pins and I could embed it on the website. If you'd be into that I'll look for a site which will suit our needs. Maybe have a shared login between locationists to update it frequently. Would have to start from scratch.

5 hours ago, James said:

Not sure if it could be resurrected. I think it was on the old vBulletin forum?   

Only thing I can think of is using a site where you can create your own map with pins and I could embed it on the website. If you'd be into that I'll look for a site which will suit our needs. Maybe have a shared login between locationists to update it frequently. Would have to start from scratch.

Thanks James and yes I'm fairly certain it was on the old vBulletin forum.. If I understand you are you saying it would be outboard of the forum here so it would not be visible within this site? Thanks for your suggestion though I think for anything we do it would be preferable to embed it within this forum in some way, so users can go back and forth between the numerous location threads and this new map for ease in updating and referencing. Not sure if that is possible within this software version as an optional feature?

Perhaps other location users can also weigh in here?

• Administrators

I've done a quick Google search and looked at some websites, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything suitable. There are websites which do it however either charge money or don't have an embedding option. However I might be able to get around it by coding an iFrame of the website. 

The one site I did find doesn't allow drag and drop either, you gotta type the address. I don't think that would work for some cases.

I wonder what that vBulletin plugin was and how it worked... Perhaps we could use some sort of member map thing and just rename it as "Location Map".

Edit: Found something which might work, check out http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/location-map/ And let me know what you think. I added an example marker at the Carlyle.

Thanks James for your suggestions. I agree that something like the vBulletin plugin is probably most effective , because it is integrated with the site. Do you have temporary  login info you can share on the link you posted? I couldn't see it.

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

Thanks James for your suggestions. I agree that something like the vBulletin plugin is probably most effective , because it is integrated with the site. Do you have temporary  login info you can share on the link you posted? I couldn't see it.

Yeah, a plugin would be best. But it would be difficult to find something. Plus I don't have the IP Board login so I can't download any plugins, Tim would have to, but I'm sure he's a busy man already. Plus I would have to alter that plugin to say what we want, like "Location Map" instead of "Member Map".

So a website like this with me embedding it to a page on the site is probably the best and easiest way we could do this. I'll PM the login info to you. 

Oh I'm silly, I originally made the map private. Should be good now. :)

• Like 1

Just checked out the map, and it's very cool!  Thank you, James!  And thank you, Sonny-Burnett for making the suggestion.  The coastline view is amazing. 

So far I am only seeing one identified location--the Carlyle Cafe.  Is that because it's only just been made public for forum users, or maybe I overlooked something?

The only added thing I could dream of would be that when you click on an identified landmark you would get a (at least thumbnail) view of it (the way Google Maps will show a street view of an address).  For landmarks that have been demolished in Miami, perhaps there are still photographs of the site as it looked during the show's run, as well as today.  Like I said, that's a dream idea--I have no idea how much trouble it might be to set up something like it and I certainly don't have the know-how, so not trying to suggest or ask someone else to make it happen.  I've browsed on Charlie Glide's awesome site (I'm pretty sure that was the one) and it shows many of the shooting locations, similar to what I mentioned.  So enabling a "street view" of each location on this map might be considered duplicating effort that has already been made.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, James said:

Yeah, a plugin would be best. But it would be difficult to find something. Plus I don't have the IP Board login so I can't download any plugins, Tim would have to, but I'm sure he's a busy man already. Plus I would have to alter that plugin to say what we want, like "Location Map" instead of "Member Map".

So a website like this with me embedding it to a page on the site is probably the best and easiest way we could do this. I'll PM the login info to you. 

Very cool! Thanks James for investigating this option and for loading a test location. I like that your map identifies the location when clicking on the blue/white icon. What I am recalling from the old vBulletin plugin was that when hovering over the location it's street address would also pop up, so someone planning a trip there would be able to zero in on an address. I don't recall it having a street view, as @vicegirl85 mentioned, but it is a great suggestion if possible to do.

I'm wondering if it makes sense to also explore the plugin option with @timm525 to compare features and costs, as I don't know the cost of adding a plugin vs the costs of this new site? Thank you again for spending time on this, as I think it may be of interest to future travelers to Miami.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, James said:

This looks very promising James...thank you for taking the time to explore this.    :thumbsup:

• Administrators
14 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

Just checked out the map, and it's very cool!  Thank you, James!  And thank you, Sonny-Burnett for making the suggestion.  The coastline view is amazing. 

So far I am only seeing one identified location--the Carlyle Cafe.  Is that because it's only just been made public for forum users, or maybe I overlooked something?

The only added thing I could dream of would be that when you click on an identified landmark you would get a (at least thumbnail) view of it (the way Google Maps will show a street view of an address).  For landmarks that have been demolished in Miami, perhaps there are still photographs of the site as it looked during the show's run, as well as today.  Like I said, that's a dream idea--I have no idea how much trouble it might be to set up something like it and I certainly don't have the know-how, so not trying to suggest or ask someone else to make it happen.  I've browsed on Charlie Glide's awesome site (I'm pretty sure that was the one) and it shows many of the shooting locations, similar to what I mentioned.  So enabling a "street view" of each location on this map might be considered duplicating effort that has already been made.

As I mentioned in an earlier post - I only added one for now as an example. 

11 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

Very cool! Thanks James for investigating this option and for loading a test location. I like that your map identifies the location when clicking on the blue/white icon. What I am recalling from the old vBulletin plugin was that when hovering over the location it's street address would also pop up, so someone planning a trip there would be able to zero in on an address. I don't recall it having a street view, as @vicegirl85 mentioned, but it is a great suggestion if possible to do.

I'm wondering if it makes sense to also explore the plugin option with @timm525 to compare features and costs, as I don't know the cost of adding a plugin vs the costs of this new site? Thank you again for spending time on this, as I think it may be of interest to future travelers to Miami.

Yeah, unfortunately it's using something other than Bing or Google maps so we may not get those extra features like pictures, street view, and such. 

Perhaps we could explore plugins, but I've looked through the plugins on offer on the IP Board site and couldn't find anything which suits our needs. They were all just member maps, not sure if it'll work because on Member Maps usually the member can only add one location?

8 hours ago, James said:

Yeah, unfortunately it's using something other than Bing or Google maps so we may not get those extra features like pictures, street view, and such. 

Thanks and again I appreciate your work in getting the map available for us!

12 hours ago, James said:

Perhaps we could explore plugins, but I've looked through the plugins on offer on the IP Board site and couldn't find anything which suits our needs. They were all just member maps, not sure if it'll work because on Member Maps usually the member can only add one location?

ok gotcha on street view, etc features. I am also not familiar with how the former Map was updated and by whom in the old forum software, so perhaps those who were involved can comment further on this?  I suppose they would be added manually one at a time with street address and relevance to the series, i.e., what scene and ep.  I don't know much about plugin options either, but perhaps this could be further explored?   I do think you are right also about member maps as in the past the steps to add only allowed the user to add his/her location info.   Are there user forums for this board software that you could pose a question about how Maps were handled, and whether there were usable plugins?