Miami Vice reboot happening for real now?

Daytona74

Maybe it's really finally happening - a new Miami Vice TV series.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2017/07/miami-vice-reboot-in-development-at-nbc.html

There is only one problem for me -

Zitat

Per Production Weekly, the reboot is being written and produced by Chris Morgan (Fast & Furious franchise, Gang Related) and Peter Macmanus (Satisfaction). Fast & Furious star Vin Diesel will also produce along with Ainsley Davies and Shana C. Waterman.

"Fast and Furious" to me is one of the most unwatchable, intellectually vacuous and downright dumb movie series of all time. And don't even get me started about Vin Diesel himself. With Michael Mann not on board anymore, you naturally have to expect a somewhat different overall style on a project like this. But if the new show will be made by anybody who was responsible for Fast and Furious, then I will refuse to watch even a single episode of it. Michael Mann sort of half got it wrong himself with his 2006 movie, but letting Vin Diesel handle a reboot will ruin the franchise once and for all. This isn't good news.

• Like 5

That's great news...but, it's not great news. For one, we already know how the Knight Rider reboot in 2008 was handled. An utter disaster. And now they're rebooting MV? I'm not so sure about this anymore...for one, I don't know how much of the original cast they'll bring back, let alone the original cast at all. And two, if Michael Mann flopped over 10 years ago with the movie, I don't see this being very successful. Let's be honest here. Why was the show successful back then? One, it showcased Miami in a form it really wasn't through the environment and the 80s decade, vibrant colors, the clothing, the music, the nightclubs, even the cars, and of course the characters. In this day and age, though theoretically it is possible to do all that, if it didn't work in 2006, why would it work now? Call me killjoy, but I've seen enough senseless reboots to drop any optimism on this one, if it's even true. 

• Like 3

I agree........

It was a product of it's time and can not be replicated without nostalgia and reworking old material and concepts. It's like the movie...it used plots from three or four original series pieces and they cobbled together what they called a movie that had no chemistry between the actors nor were the rest of the cast properly introduced or serialized.

Fast and Furious went from ok to bad to worst and then to mediocre in six short films. I think the MV reboot will take a lot more work than that to be successful. However look at Hawaii 5-O Not the greatest show on tv, but they have attempted  to reboot that. I personally don't like the show because the plotlines are made for an 8 yr old!

• Like 2

I agree with all the previous comments on why a reboot will be a disaster.  Unless the vibe of the original can be brought back this idea is an insult to us fans. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vicefan7777 said:

I agree with all the previous comments on why a reboot will be a disaster.  Unless the vibe of the original can be brought back this idea is an insult to us fans. 

Which is the problem....the vibe, cannot be brought back.

As I've said before, after the 2006 movie........The only good reboot would be with the original actors........only older and in a different capacity. For example : Crockett & Tubbs as Lieutenants overseeing newer vice detectives.  10 years have passed & now they are really older!!

• Like 3

I can name a few songs where the remake is as good or better than the original, but are there any TV shows in that category? Ever?

19 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I can name a few songs where the remake is as good or better than the original, but are there any TV shows in that category? Ever?

I can't see it working no matter how hard they try to do it and replicate it.. 

I doubt there are any.. however Lethal Weapon seems to be doing okay,  Training Day not so well, I think Vice should be left in the 80's.

I know they won't, but what if they set in the 80s? It would at least have a chance (with me).  :) :p :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• Administrators

I have a feeling they're gonna fuck it up.

Fast and the Furious was best with the first movie, which was directed by Rob Cohen, who also directed Made of Each Other and Definitely Miami. I feel like the laid back mood from Miami Vice was definitely present in the original Fast and the Furious. But with the writers and producers of the latest F&F movies, it can only be disastrous for the Miami Vice brand.

I can only assume that Crockett & Tubbs are going to be some sort of super spies with uber advanced technology which doesn't exist with some tech person back at base with a giant computer screen with command line scrolling down and beeping noises. 

Though I did watch "Gang Related" and it did have realism to it though from memory, gives me SOME hope, but that show wasn't that great and got cancelled after 1 season.

I feel like these are the wrong group of guys for the job. They should get Rob Cohen. 
But you never know - Michael Bay directed that Black Sails TV series and that was fantastic, compared to his movies which absolutely suck. So maybe movie doesn't translate into TV show for these guys either. 

Just keeping my fingers crossed that it's reboot and not a remake. As in - They continue the story with Billy and Rico Jr rather than making a new Sonny and Rico (This way, Don Johnson for example - Could guest star, or regularly appear as someone Billy gets advice from, just because we fans of the original would love for the real Sonny Crockett to appear in it). And musically they don't screw it up with unknown stock music. Original score needs to be done by a synthwave artist (perhaps Morgan Willis?), and can use old music from the 80s, mixed with some new retro synthwave. It needs to be that kind of show, I feel. Almost like Drive, that was dark, gritty, and had a kickass soundtrack. That's what Miami Vice is. 

• Like 1

I can safely bet they will not do any of the things that made MV what it was back in the day. Trust me. It's NBC.

Edited by Assasinge

29 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I know they won't, but what if they set in the 80s? It would at least have a chance (with me).  :) :p :thumbsup:

THAT Dadrian would be the only reason I would at least watch the first episode.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, James said:

Just keeping my fingers crossed that it's reboot and not a remake. As in - They continue the story with Billy and Rico Jr rather than making a new Sonny and Rico (This way, Don Johnson for example - Could guest star, or regularly appear as someone Billy gets advice from, just because we fans of the original would love for the real Sonny Crockett to appear in it). And musically they don't screw it up with unknown stock music. Original score needs to be done by a synthwave artist (perhaps Morgan Willis?), and can use old music from the 80s, mixed with some new retro synthwave. It needs to be that kind of show, I feel. Almost like Drive, that was dark, gritty, and had a kickass soundtrack. That's what Miami Vice is. 

And this is where they will most likely screw this up. Miami Vice was very specific in terms of what it looked like, sounded like, and felt like. There is no way a reboot is going to even be a blip on the radar of the original's quality if they don't get somebody with a true vision for this. Your idea would be the best way to reboot with a movie/show in the hands of someone with a very specific style of directing that would feel congruent with the original but still have his unique signature to make it stand it out. Not to mention modern day Miami cop tale is water that has already been tread many times over since the early 2000's even by The Fast & The Furious series with 2 Fast 2 Furious (which I fear this reboot will have much more in common with) so unless it has something of a Drive vibe then I don't even see this thing lasting that long.

Heck we've had Burn Notice since the original Miami Vice which used Miami as an interesting backdrop and I don't see this team even being able to top that show either.

• Like 3

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I would score it for free!! :p

Yes. They should hire you for the soundtrack. To score it and license music. :) 

• Like 1

If Michael Mann can so badly botch a sequel, I can't imagine this hack has a chance of producing anything decent.

What I'd like to see is a low budget made-for-TV movie with all of the old cast (though in different roles) which has a decent plot that is written by someone who actually understands the original show.  And is filmed entirely in Miami.

• Like 2

Some things you can't re-do or repeat! Several past popular shows have been attempted as a modern revamp, and they've failed...2007's Bionic Woman, 2008's Knight Rider, and 2011's Charlie's Angels to name a few--however I will admit I like the new Hawaii Five-0 (2010-Present)! 

But there'll always only be one Miami Vice!!! I would love a reunion movie with original cast :glossy:, but I know everyone's probably too old for that now, and that's most likely not ever going to happen. ;(  But a re-do of a new series just won't work. The 2006 movie version was horrible enough!! :thumbsdown: Let's let MV alone and be remembered as iconic and superb as it was! :cool:

• Like 1

Have very low expectations for this, if any! Still it would be interesting to see what they make out of it, that is if the reboot is going to happen at all. :)

As agent 47 said, Miami is not the new and unusual venue for a cop show anymore that it was in 1984. Don Johnson specifically said in that one interview in the summer of '84 for that local Miami TV station that he liked being in a city that hadn't been used so many times as a backdrop. In that respect, a reboot of Miami Vice, set in Miami, would almost be the victim of its own success three decades earlier. Unless they really manage to pull something out of the bag that's fresh and new regardless of that.

But a "Fast and Furious"-style Miami Vice would probably be just a one-hour hodgepodge of senseless car chases, piss poor storylines and contrived dialogue. No neo-Noir, no meticulous pastel color palettes. No intricately spun storylines that offer gripping social commentary on police undercover work. It's going to become forgettable popcorn TV at its worst.

And it's kind of too late to bring many of the old cast into this as well. They should have done the reboot fifteen years ago.

It would be nice to think that whoever is in charge of the reboot at NBC will take on board the criticism from a humble MV fan forum. But they probably won't give us old fans much thought. We don't matter, if your target audience appears to be people who think "Fast and Furious" is good entertainment.

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Tony D. said:

As I've said before, after the 2006 movie........The only good reboot would be with the original actors........only older and in a different capacity. For example : Crockett & Tubbs as Lieutenants overseeing newer vice detectives.  10 years have passed & now they are really older!!

As much as us fans would love to see that, I don't think it will happen.  I do think they would consider having them on in guest roles...

• Like 1

vor 1 Minute schrieb mvnyc:

I do think they would consider having them on in guest roles...

Well it would be a start if they had DJ as Sonny Crockett now and then, spending his retirement in a rocking chair on a sailboat, dealing out advice to younger cops and humoring them with stories from back in the day :) (which, as a nod to fans of the original series, could be taken from actual old MV episodes).

Being that Don Johnson has warmed up to the idea of a reboot in recent years, and that he has a good deal of experience producing TV shows and movies, it's kind of disappointing that there is no mention of him being part of it. That's the least they could have done to appeal to old fans.

• Like 2

My opinion is that the MV ship has sailed, for all of the reasons listed above.  I didn't want the series to end when it did and at the time I found the ending unsatisfactory:  I didn't like the way loose ends were left hanging--Tubbs' son, Switek's struggle to overcome his gambling addiction, the Crockett-Gina chemistry (left dead on the vine by the writers but not, I think, by the characters).  Poor Trudy got even less character development than Switek.  However, it is what it is, and the show was given a defined ending.  In the past couple of years I have been able to view Season 5 in a new way and appreciate the way a certain storytelling arc was fulfilled, and in a way that was almost inevitable. (even if I'm still not satisfied with it!) 

The original actors are all too old to recap their characters as active-duty police officers, and while one or two could be brought back in departmental leadership roles, I feel that the main thrust of the stories would necessarily be focused on younger characters due to demographics.  Miami is not the fresh new venue it was in 1984.  

On the positive side:  The current opioid crisis would provide a potential gold mine of material and would fit the noir theme of MV.  If music was used with the same sensitivity as it was in the original, it could draw viewers (that said, I am no music-head and don't really listen to new music).  While there could never be another Crockett, Tubbs, or Castillo, there could be new characters who would become iconic.  Miami itself as a multinational melting pot and entry point to the US still has potential to provide rich story material.     

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

Well it would be a start if they had DJ as Sonny Crockett now and then, spending his retirement in a rocking chair on a sailboat, dealing out advice to younger cops and humoring them with stories from back in the day :) (which, as a nod to fans of the original series, could be taken from actual old MV episodes).

I love that idea and can certainly imagine Sonny appearing in a cameo role occasionally.  Same with Castillo.  Tubbs, I think, would have gone back to NYC, or possibly wandered across the US like a rolling stone that gathers no moss.  But perhaps he could feel the need for sanity maintenance every now and then, in a place where the water's warm and the drinks are cold.  I could get on board with that!

• Like 1