Miami Vice reboot happening for real now?

Daytona74

12 hours ago, DarrenC1888 said:

As long as Don Johnson, Philip Michael Thomas and Edward James Olmos come back I'll give it a watch. 

I would watch it if only out of curiosity, as well as respect for a trio of fine actors.  However, I'm not seeing a desire on the parts of the actors and if they agreed to do it only for the sake of doing it, I wouldn't want that to be the last memory of Miami Vice.  

5 hours ago, jpm1 said:

sadly i agree with all that. original MV was out of air (i don't know how you say in english when you've done a fast running and you have difficulties to breath) at season 5 end let's not forget this. a reboot would mean coherent and new ideas. if they didn't find them back then, i hardly see them finding them nowadays. in the same time i'm confident in human creativity, but the one that will try a MV reboot will need to be very very talented.

Miami fascinated back then, because the people wanted to know who was that Escobar that was raised up in a Colombian calle, and that ended up in Forbes top 100 richest. so all the ingredients were united back then to create a fascinating plot. i heard there was lot of criminality in Miami today, so why not. at least i find the attempt courageous. and personnally i don't think original series actors are a must for the series to be successful. for me when i watch the series it's Miami and Florida the most important

Great comments, jpm1.  I think there is potential out there for fascinating plots and exciting new storylines set in Miami. With good writing and talented actors, I think a very successful and gripping series could come to life.  Would it be Miami Vice, though?  I don't really think it could be Miami Vice without DJ, PMT, and EJO--as they were back in the 80s.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

Part of me hopes that somebody at NBC will actually read this forum as part of their research for the new series and quietly pick up a few suggestions... but it seems highly unlikely... :p

*looks at KnightRiderOnline.com*

Hah, you funny man.

I don't want a reboot or the old characters coming back in some departmental administrative advice-bearing for nostalgia's sake. I want Miami Vice to remain forged in my memory the way it ended, the uncertainty of where everyone (all the original characters) wound up how the are living today is best left to the deepest personal imagination. No cameos. Bringing back any of the original cast in any capacity will only tarnish the legendary reputation of the series, as we all know there is little or no chance that a remake will do any justice to the legacy. 

A major, if not the most responsible element to the show's success back in the 80's was originality. This is something not achieved by a rehash, reboot, remake.

Perhaps a new show that proudly admits to be "inspired by", could be interesting if done properly, but please don't call it Miami Vice.

• Like 4

On 7/24/2017 at 9:01 AM, Jerry B. said:

Please don't. The only chance to make it is gone forever in 2004 (see my article titled "The Last Big Missed Chance").

Time has only one direction, folks. Let's face it.

Jerry, thanks for linking your article, I was just looking for that thread last week. I completely agree. 

• Like 2

• Administrators

Just one more example of Hollywood running out of fresh ideas. I'll go out on a limb here and say it sucks without ever even watching it!

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:32 AM, ViceFanMan said:

Very well put! I too didn't want the show to end when or how it did...too bizarre & open ended. We never got any kind of closure! :evil:  A reunion movie with original cast  to finally close up old storylines from 1989 would be awesome...but I know that's most likely a fan-dream as too many years have passed. A new reboot just makes me roll my eyes. And a Fast and Furious style will just be stupid! :thumbsdown:

This is what I would be happy to see happen also.  Just a simple movie to let us know how our favorite characters have faired since we last saw them.  It would be a way to close the series out, then we wouldn't have to worry about horrible idea reboots hopefully.  I'm dying to know how Sonny and Rico are now that they're senior citizens and if they've been happy all these years.  That's all I want...an update of my favorite show. 

• Like 1

Can't stand Vin Diesel, so this gets a HARD PASS from me.

Plus MV was reimagined back in the 90's,  as New York Undercover. 

• Like 1

Just now, MrsEvanFreed said:

Can't stand Vin Diesel, so this gets a HARD PASS from me.

Plus MV was reimagined back in the 90's,  as New York Undercover. 

+1 on that!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

+1 on that!

Then Mann retruned to tv in 2002, with Homicide: Robbery Division.

Starring Tom Siezmore, before he flew completely off the rails.

On 24/07/2017 at 10:08 AM, James said:

True Detective is such an amazing show. I agree. It's got that realism, the darkness, if they actually do want to go through with this, that's where they should look. Whatever they do, they absolutely cannot go the generic cop show route, which is probably what has all of us so worried about this news.

Gotta agree, i have to try imagine Don Johnson in this True Detective scene. Less than this, its 80´s fairy tale as MV used to be. And for today audiences, they wouldnt buy it. 

Being optimist, there are other companies than Universal doing great series today. What if they had the MV franchise to work?

Wasnt Mr. Robot from Universal? I love that shit...

What really scares me...is about the cast. I have more good memories of interaction and chemistry between the characters ( i would call it videoclips) than memories of great episodes. That "how do i know these are gonna go bang", for me is simply unforgettable.

Now imagine if Vin Diesel decides to step into Castillo´s shoes.... 

Edited by Mr. Calderon

On 24/07/2017 at 10:08 AM, James said:
On 26/07/2017 at 10:51 AM, DeepCover333 said:

I don't want a reboot or the old characters coming back in some departmental administrative advice-bearing for nostalgia's sake. I want Miami Vice to remain forged in my memory the way it ended, the uncertainty of where everyone (all the original characters) wound up how the are living today is best left to the deepest personal imagination. No cameos. Bringing back any of the original cast in any capacity will only tarnish the legendary reputation of the series, as we all know there is little or no chance that a remake will do any justice to the legacy. 

A major, if not the most responsible element to the show's success back in the 80's was originality. This is something not achieved by a rehash, reboot, remake.

Perhaps a new show that proudly admits to be "inspired by", could be interesting if done properly, but please don't call it Miami Vice.

Im sure the recall from old episodes details (rivera-crockett thing, for instance), it wont happen...as the name says: its a reboot, not, not a soap opera sequence.

vor 57 Minuten schrieb Mr. Calderon:

Now imagine if Vin Diesel decides to step into Castillo´s shoes....

I hope that as producer, Vin Diesel can at least resist the temptation of casting himself in whatever acting role on a new MV. He isn't a good actor at the best of times.

I liked the Dallas Reboot in the beginning because it had some of the original cast. It didn't last only 3 seasons though. Waiting to see what the Dynasty Reboot will be like this fall.

The New MV won't be the same without the original cast or if they can have guest appearances might work.

• Like 1

vor 7 Minuten schrieb GinaFan:

I liked the Dallas Reboot in the beginning because it had some of the original cast.

The Dallas reboot worked for as long as Larry Hagman was still alive. When he passed away, that was also the death of the new TV series to me, and I lost interest.

I'm not entirely sure what that says about a new Miami Vice. I think it will fail either way, with or without some of the old cast, with Vin Diesel at the helm.

It doesn't strike me as good news at all. Instead, it looks pretty much more like a "Fastlane" reboot to me...

I can't see Vin Diesel and the Fast and Furious team having anything to do with Miami Vice. To me, it feels as wrong as having, say, Will Ferrell to reboot "The Godfather" (nothing against WF really, just trying to find an obviously unfitting name -- even if talented -- to a particular project). And Michael Mann still alive and (I hope) doing very well... This must be a joke or some sort of an insult. Let's forget for a while the "2 cops with action" format. MV was more than that. It had layers, subtleties, aesthetic, a language of its own. If there's a reboot, we should think about all that coming along with the cops, the cars, the city (cops, cars and the city is the easiest part). But It just won't be there. Vin Diesel??? Fast and Furious??? NBC must be thinking that anything will just work out fine, and people will just buy whatever they give them. Forgive me if I'm being too harsh on VD and FF, I really have nothing against them. But we're talking about revisiting something that, at least to me, is obviously out of their league. NBC must be aware of that, but it doesn't give a damn. I really hope they abort it.

In a year we're having "Blade Runner 2", I won't be surprise to have one day "Citizen Kane 2", as well as even "Gone with the Wind 2". I'm not trying to say those fantastic productions can't be touched. But I would like to be sure they'll never be pillaged when they're touched. What I'm trying to say is that it feels like Hollywood and TV is just selling cheap some of their most amazing achievements. That's too bad.

7 hours ago, GinaFan said:

I liked the Dallas Reboot in the beginning because it had some of the original cast. It didn't last only 3 seasons though. Waiting to see what the Dynasty Reboot will be like this fall.

The New MV won't be the same without the original cast or if they can have guest appearances might work.

7 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

The Dallas reboot worked for as long as Larry Hagman was still alive. When he passed away, that was also the death of the new TV series to me, and I lost interest.

I'm not entirely sure what that says about a new Miami Vice. I think it will fail either way, with or without some of the old cast, with Vin Diesel at the helm.

I loved the Dallas revival series, as I'm a fan of the original! :clap:  I of course was saddened greatly by Larry Hagman's death, but that was not a plot idea...it was for real. So, of course they had to work it into the new show. Considering what the situation was, I thought they did a superb job of wild plot twists on how J.R. really died. With others of the original cast still there, and new storylines in motion, the show was expected to come back for a 4th season. There were still plenty of fans! It was bad timing that actually caused "Dallas" to be cancelled...TNT suddenly was bought out and went under new management--and the new ones in charge of the network decided not to bring it back. It was not because of Larry Hagman's death. If I remember right, "Dallas" was not the only show suddenly cancelled at that time. I'm still angry, as the end of 3rd season left you hanging! :evil:

If "Miami Vice" would be brought back, I do not think it will last...unless somehow they work in the original cast members, and they are part of the new show. They could bring in younger, new cast members too...but without the original ones, a new revamp will not last. I am probably way too much of a hard-core MV fan, LOL :) ---but today's 60-70 year olds are not like the 60-70 year olds of my grandparent's day. I loved my grandparents dearly and miss them greatly...however, they looked 80 at 65 (no disrespect, it was just their style and they didn't have the medical and health advances we do now). In today's world 70 is the new 50! ;)  If their specific ages are not brought up or focused on, I do feel like the original cast could be worked into a new show. If Tom Selleck can pull off Blue Bloods (and he does it superbly--another one of my heroes! :dance2:) I know Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas could come back and definitely do an older & wiser Crockett and Tubbs! :thumbsup: 

(P.S. This is very ironic...as while going through MV again after several years, I'm also going through AMC's Mad Men...as I'd not seen it before when it was originally aired. I love it!! That show got me thinking about Dallas, and that I'd not watched it in years either...and I'm thinking of going through it again after Mad Men. Just some trivial, unimportant irony for me I thought I'd share. :p)

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

50- and 60-year-olds really do look different nowadays. They also dress differently. Just the other day, I saw a guy in a supermarket parking lot leaning against his BMW who was by the looks of it past his early 50s, and he was wearing jeans, sneakers and a printed T-shirt. When you look at footage of the 1960s to 1980s, people that age had usually long adopted the Fedora hat - horn rimmed glasses - long tweed coat look. :)

Don Johnson really still looks great for his age; which is kind of surprising when you think about it, after all the abuse he put his body through in early adulthood. He was a coke head in his own right before "Vice", drank a lot too, and even during "Vice" smoked up to two packs a day. You have to have very good genes to do that and still look as healthy as he does in your late 60s.

I really think Don Johnson could play a role that would both be fitting for his age now as it would be productive in making a new show a success (again, WITHOUT Vin Diesel). Like that article that came out the other day; let Sonny Crockett be a retired cop who still lives on a boat, in the Florida Keys, who maybe also owns a bait and tackle shop and who still takes tourists on fishing trips... :) As one of the most experienced former Vice cops, people still come to him for advice. Maybe even to help bring down the next-generation Calderone organization.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ivoryjones said:

It doesn't strike me as good news at all. Instead, it looks pretty much more like a "Fastlane" reboot to me...

I can't see Vin Diesel and the Fast and Furious team having anything to do with Miami Vice. To me, it feels as wrong as having, say, Will Ferrell to reboot "The Godfather" (nothing against WF really, just trying to find an obviously unfitting name -- even if talented -- to a particular project). And Michael Mann still alive and (I hope) doing very well... This must be a joke or some sort of an insult. Let's forget for a while the "2 cops with action" format. MV was more than that. It had layers, subtleties, aesthetic, a language of its own. If there's a reboot, we should think about all that coming along with the cops, the cars, the city (cops, cars and the city is the easiest part). But It just won't be there. Vin Diesel??? Fast and Furious??? NBC must be thinking that anything will just work out fine, and people will just buy whatever they give them. Forgive me if I'm being too harsh on VD and FF, I really have nothing against them. But we're talking about revisiting something that, at least to me, is obviously out of their league. NBC must be aware of that, but it doesn't give a damn. I really hope they abort it.

In a year we're having "Blade Runner 2", I won't be surprise to have one day "Citizen Kane 2", as well as even "Gone with the Wind 2". I'm not trying to say those fantastic productions can't be touched. But I would like to be sure they'll never be pillaged when they're touched. What I'm trying to say is that it feels like Hollywood and TV is just selling cheap some of their most amazing achievements. That's too bad.

Fastlane was a very decent version of MV,....in my crazy opinion...

10 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I loved the Dallas revival series, as I'm a fan of the original! :clap:  I of course was saddened greatly by Larry Hagman's death, but that was not a plot idea...it was for real. So, of course they had to work it into the new show. Considering what the situation was, I thought they did a superb job of wild plot twists on how J.R. really died. With others of the original cast still there, and new storylines in motion, the show was expected to come back for a 4th season. There were still plenty of fans! It was bad timing that actually caused "Dallas" to be cancelled...TNT suddenly was bought out and went under new management--and the new ones in charge of the network decided not to bring it back. It was not because of Larry Hagman's death. If I remember right, "Dallas" was not the only show suddenly cancelled at that time. I'm still angry, as the end of 3rd season left you hanging! :evil:

If "Miami Vice" would be brought back, I do not think it will last...unless somehow they work in the original cast members, and they are part of the new show. They could bring in younger, new cast members too...but without the original ones, a new revamp will not last. I am probably way too much of a hard-core MV fan, LOL :) ---but today's 60-70 year olds are not like the 60-70 year olds of my grandparent's day. I loved my grandparents dearly and miss them greatly...however, they looked 80 at 65 (no disrespect, it was just their style and they didn't have the medical and health advances we do now). In today's world 70 is the new 50! ;)  If their specific ages are not brought up or focused on, I do feel like the original cast could be worked into a new show. If Tom Selleck can pull off Blue Bloods (and he does it superbly--another one of my heroes! :dance2:) I know Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas could come back and definitely do an older & wiser Crockett and Tubbs! :thumbsup: 

(P.S. This is very ironic...as while going through MV again after several years, I'm also going through AMC's Mad Men...as I'd not seen it before when it was originally aired. I love it!! That show got me thinking about Dallas, and that I'd not watched it in years either...and I'm thinking of going through it again after Mad Men. Just some trivial, unimportant irony for me I thought I'd share. :p)

3 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

50- and 60-year-olds really do look different nowadays. They also dress differently. Just the other day, I saw a guy in a supermarket parking lot leaning against his BMW who was by the looks of it past his early 50s, and he was wearing jeans, sneakers and a printed T-shirt. When you look at footage of the 1960s to 1980s, people that age had usually long adopted the Fedora hat - horn rimmed glasses - long tweed coat look. :)

Don Johnson really still looks great for his age; which is kind of surprising when you think about it, after all the abuse he put his body through in early adulthood. He was a coke head in his own right before "Vice", drank a lot too, and even during "Vice" smoked up to two packs a day. You have to have very good genes to do that and still look as healthy as he does in your late 60s.

I really think Don Johnson could play a role that would both be fitting for his age now as it would be productive in making a new show a success (again, WITHOUT Vin Diesel). Like that article that came out the other day; let Sonny Crockett be a retired cop who still lives on a boat, in the Florida Keys, who maybe also owns a bait and tackle shop and who still takes tourists on fishing trips... :) As one of the most experienced former Vice cops, people still come to him for advice. Maybe even to help bring down the next-generation Calderone organization.

Exactly!! Some of the 60-70 year olds are still doing some action scenes too--Harrison Ford, Tom Selleck, Arnold Schwarzenegger, etc...to name a few. They're not gray haired old fogeys with canes. They still look good! :dance2: 

But yeah Don was a hard drinker and heavy smoker earlier on...but I think he quit smoking while MV was still on. Don't know about the alcohol...hope he's cut down. But either way, he looks amazing for what he put his body through...he could still play an older Crockett...and along with Tubbs they are now LTs in charge of a unit. They could now be the "patriarchs" that oversee everything...like Tom Selleck is on Blue Bloods. :thumbsup:

Maybe, but I still just can't see Castillo staying on as a Lieutenant ( from the scenario posed in that one weblink) all these years working the streets. EJO looks a bit worse for wear these days, as do some other cast members. But the rest of the premise of that commentary about bringing in Crockett's son and Rivera's son on as partners has some intrigue for me , and with Tubb's son playing the heavy in some sort of strange family dynamic also has appeal to me, ala Kylo Ren. I think if they choose this path they should really keep the old cast out of the picture in order for them to really get a fresh restart, and to avoid the inevitable comparisons to the series that will follow if the old cast is part of the storyline. Maybe that will happen anyway unless the new series really departs from the old in pretty much every aspect including storylines, aesthetics, and music. I think also going a different direction with episodes such that there are continuing arcs and storylines throughout the series, vs the old MV series with standalone episodes that rarely were interrelated. And let's face it some of these remakes have just fallen flat on their faces because they can't recreate the original chemistry. Just M.O.

• Like 1

Yeah, as amazing as Edward James Olmos has always been as an actor, maybe he's just that slight bit too old to play a meaningful role. Then again, he's only around five years older than Don and Philip. Time is ticking either way to get the old cast on the new show, if at all.

Somebody posted a youtube clip of a radio interview with Edward James Olmos from around 2009 the other day, where he was asked where Castillo would be today. And he said that Castillo was probably killed in action, in the line of duty. So I guess he himself would be ok with not reprising his role as Castillo.

As stated earlier in other posts above, they need to include the original cast, along with maybe some new ones--storylines can focus on both generations, even combine them...as they did with the Dallas reboot. An all new version taking on a Fast and Furious style will be stupid and fail! :thumbsdown:

Just found this - Miami Herald interview with Don Johnson from 2014.

http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/celebrities/article2260634.html

Zitat

And what about Sonny Crockett. Is he totally retired?

You know, perhaps there are some new episodes of Miami Vice that could come along. A reboot. I have talked to some big-time directors who would be interested in doing it. I’ve got a couple ideas of how you could do it in a seamless, spectacular way. I would re-create my role as Sonny as he is in the 21st century. It could be fun as hell.

Vin Diesel doesn't inevitably come to mind as a name when you hear the words "big-time directors", to say the least.

I have to admit that seeing Don Johnson back as Sonny Crockett would be one reason I'd give a Vin Diesel-perpetrated reboot half a chance. Now the question is, will Don actually do it, and star in the kind of reboot that is upon us?

Edited by Daytona74