Miami Vice reboot happening for real now?

Daytona74

• Administrators

If only we could hit up Vin Diesel and throw some ideas his way. :p Because it looks like it's going to happen for sure, the least we can do is make sure he doesn't fuck it up.

• Like 2

vor 6 Stunden schrieb James:

If only we could hit up Vin Diesel and throw some ideas his way. :p Because it looks like it's going to happen for sure, the least we can do is make sure he doesn't fuck it up.

How about this - since this is the web's biggest Miami Vice fan community, it might also be a promising source of information for somebody who would be researching details for the new Miami Vice series. If you know what I mean. Then how about we make a thread with suggestions for a new Miami Vice series, and try to direct somebody's attention at NBC or Universal or Vin Diesel's production company towards that thread? We've already made a few suggestions among ourselves, but how about we condense them in a thread of its own.

It's still a hugely long shot to assume that they would bother with us at all, but on the other hand, if I was a story developer for the remake of a series, I wouldn't limit my research to whatever NBC or Universal still has in its vaults from the old series. To understand why the series was such a success in its day (after all, I would want to replicate that success as a developer), I would do lots of research on the web as well. And who better to ask why the series was such a hit than loyal fans on a web forum.

Again, long shot, but maybe our best bet.

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

How about this - since this is the web's biggest Miami Vice fan community, it might also be a promising source of information for somebody who would be researching details for the new Miami Vice series. If you know what I mean. Then how about we make a thread with suggestions for a new Miami Vice series, and try to direct somebody's attention at NBC or Universal or Vin Diesel's production company towards that thread? We've already made a few suggestions among ourselves, but how about we condense them in a thread of its own.

It's still a hugely long shot to assume that they would bother with us at all, but on the other hand, if I was a story developer for the remake of a series, I wouldn't limit my research to whatever NBC or Universal still has in its vaults from the old series. To understand why the series was such a success in its day (after all, I would want to replicate that success as a developer), I would do lots of research on the web as well. And who better to ask why the series was such a hit than loyal fans on a web forum.

Again, long shot, but maybe our best bet.

I remember when Knight Rider Online tried to direct their ideas for the shitty reboot back in '08 and...well. They sure as hell ignored everything we said, whether they read it or not. Because I remember Michael Pajaro would report back on the set from NBC on what they were doing, we would keep requesting them to do this and do that, and they said they would and ultimately tanked the series. So I don't know man...

I doubt NBC will care about anything fans say...they seem to always screw up whatever show it is, especially a reboot of a past popular one, and ultimately cancel it without truly giving it a shot. NBC has always kind of been known as a network who cancels their shows almost faster than they can air them. :p Not my favorite network. ;)

I noticed a LOT of people on Facebook were complaining about not wanting Vin Diesel in the show.  The article I saw on Facebook made it clear that he was just teaming up to produce it and makes no mention of him being in it.

I noticed in this same Facebook thread that Sandra Santiago commented when asked and didn't really have an opinion one way or the other.  She appeared to be in a wait and see mode.

7 minutes ago, IA-SteveB said:

I noticed in this same Facebook thread that Sandra Santiago commented when asked and didn't really have an opinion one way or the other.  She appeared to be in a wait and see mode.

This was her Twitter response to being asked for her thoughts on the reboot, and if she would appear on the show:

"Terrible idea, but if I was asked, of course I would do it, lol"

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

This was her Twitter response to being asked for her thoughts on the reboot, and if she would appear on the show:

Gina saying it's a terrible idea?  

We've hit a new low point here folks.

54 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I didn't see that one. :)

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I feel like she definitely, definitely needs to be the Lieutenant in any reboot. 

vor 20 Stunden schrieb Dadrian:

You have to love Saundra Santiago for her diplomatic sense of humor. :):thumbsup:

Just like in this clip -

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Daytona74 said:

You have to love Saundra Santiago for her diplomatic sense of humor. :):thumbsup:

Just like in this clip -

What's with Talbott wanting to rush things along and move onto the next question here?

You know, I just realized. Regardless of whether the reboot sucks or not, won't this provide some sort of exposure to the original series? I've noticed that reboots tend to breathe new life into the originals whether the reboot sucks or not. 

57 minutes ago, Assasinge said:

You know, I just realized. Regardless of whether the reboot sucks or not, won't this provide some sort of exposure to the original series? I've noticed that reboots tend to breathe new life into the originals whether the reboot sucks or not. 

My thoughts, exactly! :thumbsup:

What year did the movie come out? What year did Jan Hammer do some promo appearances/interviews and release a bunch of MV music? :) 

I don't think Jan is gonna release music again--just stating an example of the new and old parallels. I think they are definitely related. 

• Like 1

I feel like the reboot will stink for a variety of reasons, most of which you folks have covered. Only a few good things might come out of it, one of which being the spotlight put on the original series, like Assasinge mentioned. 

Another good thing that could come out of a reboot might be toys. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they released some collectible figures and other "toys" if they did a reboot, but I am sure it would be based on the reboot and not the original, so I won't hold my breath on that front.

Asking for them to make a good video game based on the original show would be beyond the realm of possibility. I guess my PS2 GTA Vice City and Scarface will have to suffice, unless Rockstar actually listens to a lot of us and puts GTA 6 in Vice City in the 80s again. 

24 minutes ago, Assasinge said:

Speaking of toys...

Image result for sonny crockett toy

Have this one...as well as the original white suit with pink shirt! :thumbsup: But they should have created  better figures that had better likeness of the character's faces--none of Mezco's MV figures really looked like Crockett & Tubbs. :rauchen:

• Like 1

Michael Mann did such an epic job with a concept that was supposed to be a movie in the first place when he turned Vice into a TV show you know.

That being said, you can never truly recapture the coolness how cutting edge Vice was in 1985 with a remake. Everything that went into the original series was a perfect storm that was in the right place at the right time and ended up defining that time period. You could never have the same cultural impact with that again anymore than Atari could with video games. (Nostalgia yes, future innovation and relevance, no.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Assasinge said:

Michael Mann did such an epic job with a concept that was supposed to be a movie in the first place when he turned Vice into a TV show you know.

That being said, you can never truly recapture the coolness how cutting edge Vice was in 1985 with a remake. Everything that went into the original series was a perfect storm that was in the right place at the right time and ended up defining that time period. You could never have the same cultural impact with that again anymore than Atari could with video games. (Nostalgia yes, future innovation and relevance, no.)

For the most part I agree. However, if they did do a reboot that still included some of the original cast but the new show had its own ideas or directions it might work. 

Hawaii Five-0 is a prime example of this. They've had lots of odes to the original show, but have created its own version and modern ideas/directions to go. I didn't think I'd like it...but I actually really do! 

22 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

For the most part I agree. However, if they did do a reboot that still included some of the original cast but the new show had its own ideas or directions it might work. 

Hawaii Five-0 is a prime example of this. They've had lots of odes to the original show, but have created its own version and modern ideas/directions to go. I didn't think I'd like it...but I actually really do! 

Yeah but...Vin Diesel.

0_0

• Administrators

I've never been in favor of classic iconic tv shows getting remade 20-30 years later with one or two token star actors to "validate" it. It never works in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, Assasinge said:

Yeah but...Vin Diesel.

0_0

Lol...I know, I think the same thing. But, from what I understand Vin Diesel is not starring in it, he's only helping produce it.