Miami Vice reboot happening for real now?

Daytona74

SONNY CROCKETT WASN'T THE FIRST SONNY CROCKETT.

Prior to Miami Vice, Yerkovich was a writer and producer on Hill Street Blues. In 1983, a year before Miami Vice’s premiere, actor Dennis Burkley appeared in four episodes of Hill Street Blues, playing a racist biker named “Sonny Crockett.”

THE NETWORK DIDN’T WANT DON JOHNSON.

Though the casting conversation kept coming back to Don Johnson for the role of Sonny Crockett, the network was against casting him, deeming him pilot poison. “I had made five pilots for Brandon Tartikoff back then, and none of them were picked up,” Johnson told Rolling Stone.

I personally think its safe to say if MV hadn't exploded we wouldn't know who DJ even is.

Edited by PalmTree
  • Like 1

• Administrators
46 minutes ago, PalmTree said:

SONNY CROCKETT WASN'T THE FIRST SONNY CROCKETT.

Prior to Miami Vice, Yerkovich was a writer and producer on Hill Street Blues. In 1983, a year before Miami Vice’s premiere, actor Dennis Burkley appeared in four episodes of Hill Street Blues, playing a racist biker named “Sonny Crockett.”

THE NETWORK DIDN’T WANT DON JOHNSON.

Though the casting conversation kept coming back to Don Johnson for the role of Sonny Crockett, the network was against casting him, deeming him pilot poison. “I had made five pilots for Brandon Tartikoff back then, and none of them were picked up,” Johnson told Rolling Stone.

I personally think its safe to say if MV hadn't exploded we wouldn't know who DJ even is.

I know Larry Wilcox from Chips was in the running for a while.

What fascinates me so much about MV is the range of it's influence.  Music, television, movies, cars, clothes, architecture, etc. etc..  No TV show ever has or probably never will have the influence that MV had.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, PalmTree said:

What fascinates me so much about MV is the range of it's influence.  Music, television, movies, cars, clothes, architecture, etc. etc..  No TV show ever has or probably never will have the influence that MV had.

Could not have said it better! What’s even more awesome is that those influences and styles are still being used and copied in TV today! 

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:54 PM, ViceFanMan said:

Could not have said it better! What’s even more awesome is that those influences and styles are still being used and copied in TV today! 

Choogotitmang!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

To be be sensibly analyzed you really have to put yourself back in wonderful 1984 and the other generic shows that made up 100% of what was on TV.  MV was a degree of shocking realism that simply wasn't seen back then.  It was a late night popular music video came to life.  For the first two seasons, before everyone started copying MV like a photo copy machine, EVERYONE was either watching MV or trying to get on the show.  In fact I'd put seasons 1 & 2 up against anything today for social relevance.  Nowadays the only "relevance" is two sickening gay guys adopting a chinese baby that otherwise would be sold in Bejing like a dog in a pet store.  I think its odd one of THE best MV eps featured Ed O'Neil ^ as a helluva guest star.  What I wouldn't give for a time machine to live it all over again!

http://miamivice.wikia.com/wiki/Ed_O'Neill

Edited by PalmTree
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, PalmTree said:

To be be sensibly analyzed you really have to put yourself back in wonderful 1984 and the other generic shows that made up 100% of what was on TV.  MV was a degree of shocking realism that simply wasn't seen back then.  It was a late night popular music video came to life.  For the first two seasons, before everyone started copying MV like a photo copy machine, EVERYONE was either watching MV or trying to get on the show.  In fact I'd put seasons 1 & 2 up against anything today for social relevance.  Nowadays the only "relevance" is two sickening gay guys adopting a chinese baby that otherwise would be sold in Bejing like a dog in a pet store.  I think its odd one of THE best MV eps featured Ed O'Neil ^ as a helluva guest star.  What I wouldn't give for a time machine to live it all over again!

http://miamivice.wikia.com/wiki/Ed_O'Neill

Superbly put!! :clap: 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Just found this...

Don Johnson's thoughts on what Sonny Crockett would be like today. :thumbsup:

Let's hope he will be part of the new series. You can just picture Crockett living on a house boat in the Keys, probably still offering fishing tours for tourists, and dispensing his invaluable advice to today's OCB personnel.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

Just found this...

Don Johnson's thoughts on what Sonny Crockett would be like today. :thumbsup:

Let's hope he will be part of the new series. You can just picture Crockett living on a house boat in the Keys, probably still offering fishing tours for tourists, and dispensing his invaluable advice to today's OCB personnel.

Yeah, I had found those videos while surfing YouTube a while back. I also thought it was pretty interesting to hear DJ's thoughts on what Crockett would be like today. In my opinion, after watching the commercial with LeBron, DJ can still pull off being Crockett. Having him reprise his character from the old show creates mixed feelings for me now. On one hand it's cool to see the members of the old OCB team being played by their old actors for old times sake and to find what they have been up to after the events of the old show, but on the other hand I just don't trust the people behind the reboot. I think they'll most likely ruin it. It seems like there's a remake/reboot trend going on now where all these classic movies and TV show are being unnecessarily brought back.

Long story short, I'm not hopeful for the new show, but I am still looking forward to it a little bit just to see what it might be like, but with reservations.

Edited by Retro80sfan

I have no illusions either about the new MV... I honestly really don't like Vin Diesel and I have never liked any of his works. But hey, maybe with expectations that low, there is room for positive surprise.

Maybe Don Johnson should get his own show, a spin off mostly unrelated to the new Miami Vice. He could play Crockett as a retired vice cop and private investigator in the Florida Keys... who occasionally runs into people from old cases... sort of Magnum meets Matlock... but in South Florida... :p

• Like 1

• Administrators

My biggest concern with the reboot is that the people in charge have anything to do with the fast and furious franchise!

vor einer Stunde schrieb Ferrariman:

My biggest concern with the reboot is that the people in charge have anything to do with the fast and furious franchise!

That kind of looks like a given though :thumbsdown:

If they go through with the reboot, I fear it'll be like the Hawaii Five-0 reboot that was vaguely interesting in the first season and then just became a generic cop show.

I don't know man..Think its best to just let it be.:(

vor 43 Minuten schrieb Vincent Hanna:

If they go through with the reboot, I fear it'll be like the Hawaii Five-0 reboot that was vaguely interesting in the first season and then just became a generic cop show.

I think the problem is going to be to make a show that's groundbreaking the way Miami Vice was in 1984.

These days, you won't get many people to sit up straight  and pay attention just because a TV crime drama has cool cinematography, fast cars, flashy clothes, exotic locations and all the latest music. So how are you going to compete with two dozen other shows on prime time TV and the streaming sites that have all of that? And the nostalgia factor that may draw in fans of the original series will wear off pretty quickly if an MV reboot just doesn't deliver.

I think Vin Diesel is just somebody who comes from the wrong angle, going by his work so far. What he sees in it and what he is going to use as a jumping off point for his series could be a bit like your dumb friend that you go to the movies with to watch a suspense thriller, and who will then talk the rest of the evening about all the cool gun fights and explosions in it while you roll your eyes and think the film was actually good because it had a compelling story.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:31 AM, Daytona74 said:

Maybe Don Johnson should get his own show, a spin off mostly unrelated to the new Miami Vice. He could play Crockett as a retired vice cop and private investigator in the Florida Keys... who occasionally runs into people from old cases... sort of Magnum meets Matlock... but in South Florida... :p

Sounds good to me!  If only.....:fireworks:

On 7/10/2018 at 2:04 PM, Vincent Hanna said:

I don't know man..Think its best to just let it be.:(

Hey now...I really like the new Hawaii Five-0! Lol. :p  I didn’t think I would at first, as I’m an avid fan of the original...but I’ve liked what they’ve done with the new version. There’s enough differences to be able to enjoy both series, but enough homages paid to the original to still remember and respect it.

But I don’t care for Vin Diesel, nor really the Fast & Furious movies...as they’re basically all alike. How many do you need to make to smash up “suped” up muscle & sports cars? Who knows what a MV remake will look like? Probably something stupid that won’t last. :thumbsdown: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Susanna Girl said:

This might be a silly question but does a reboot always mean there will be new/different actors?  

Not necessarily no, but most of the time......

Yes.

On 1/10/2018 at 3:58 AM, timm525 said:

Was he planning on playing Crockett or Tubbs?   :D

Vin Diesel would be perfect for a Kojak reboot.  lololol

On 1/10/2018 at 6:24 PM, pmconroy said:

You simply can't recapture the vibe of Vice. It had a feel like no other show at the time that has set the precedent for many shows to emulate since. I have to agree with others that this will be a disaster. I'll probably give it a chance just to see how it turned out, but to so wrongly resurrect Miami Vice is a mortal sin in my eyes. Especially if it's set in modern-day Miami, 2018. Music is shit these days. Fashion is shit. So are most modern actors. I wish this whole thing gets nixed.

Fastlane was the closest to Vice. Very expensive, very well done, i loved it.

On 7/10/2018 at 1:48 PM, Ferrariman said:

Hi Lou!  :)

My biggest concern with the reboot is that only DJ gets some type of hype. I dont know even if hes or will be in, but the minimum Miami Vice core is Crockett and Tubbs. Here we go again..thats the #100.000.000 post of what we want for miami vice reboot post lol