Miami Vice reboot happening for real now?

Daytona74

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 1:52 AM, vicegirl85 said:

I agree with the gist of what you're saying, ViceFanMan.  But I also feel like acting is a career where a person needs to have a lot of focus, drive, and belief in themselves, and a lot of desire/motivation to keep putting oneself out there in order to be successful--because there are plenty of opportunities for failure and criticism.  That's the piece that can be perceived as arrogance and narcissism (it can also truly be arrogance and narcissism). 

Lots of professions have very successful people--stars--who have those traits.  They're not always the greatest human beings, but  the ones who are honest can see the truth about themselves--that they have a drive and a belief in what they're doing that allows them to keep going in spite of frequent opportunities to choose the wrong project, or to miss out on what might be a career-making role.

Arrogance doesn't make you a star, but that kind of drive and confidence (or appearance of confidence) is often found in highly talented and successful people in many professions.  The smartest ones admit it and make efforts to see past their own wants and needs to do something for others. 

Confidence and ‘drive’...even being somewhat headstrong about what you believe is right for your job/career/life, etc...is one thing. But arrogance and narcissism is another. ;) Again...this is for anyone in any career. I work in the mental health field, and trust me—there’s plenty with fancy degrees & titles behind their name that think they are smarter & better than everyone...and know everything & “understand” everyone. Those are the ones who are all about themselves & ironically usually understand people & reality the least! :p 

• Like 1

True!  Although I think sometimes people are not as precise in their language as you, with your mental health background, are when you use the words arrogance and narcissism. 

• 8 months later...

It will happen eventually, be it a new film or a reboot show.  Magnum and MacGyver were brought back, so I'm honestly surprised a new Vice show isn't already out there.  They should just leave it alone, unless they deliberately want to spoof the show and do something like the Starsky and Hutch movie.

I think they should just leave it alone. It’s only Miami Vice if it’s got Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas and it takes place in the 80s.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

It’s only Miami Vice if it’s got Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas and it takes place in the 80s.

Don’t forget Jan Hammer :D 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Don’t forget Jan Hammer :D 

That is true! Originally I was going to add him to my post above, but John Petersen and Tim Truman’s work was still part of the original series, too. They did their own thing, but didn’t capture the true Vice vibe Jan Hammer created.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

That is true! Originally I was going to add him to my post above, but John Petersen and Tim Truman’s work was still part of the original series, too. They did their own thing, but didn’t capture the true Vice vibe Jan Hammer created.

HA! I love Tim Truman's score. It may not be the original vibe, but in my opinion it fits perfectly with the overall melancholic tone of season 5 and the burned out Crockett character. Things were not the same after the Burnett arc - cause they couldn't be. And the difference in the score underlines that, even if it may not have been deliberate or was forced by Jan's departure.

When I listen to Tim's stuff, I instantly drift into a contemplative, sort of S5 mood if you will, for me his work has a certain depth. Don't get me wrong - Jan Hammer's work will always be unrivaled and played an essential part in creating the unique, original vibe of show.

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 3

As of 2020 we can say: there will be no reboot. That was it. Thank God. When I first heard that Vin Diesel is working on it, I got serious headaches about it. Better none than another quick buck attempt that spoils everything we ever have loved about the series.

We don´t need a second disaster like the one in 2006 with the movie and now it is 2020, they have screwed up time-wise anyway to do anything reasonable that involves the old crew, to some extent -  unless anyone wants to see them with a walking stick and a wheelchair, then just continue dreaming about it :p

Just my 2 cents, but I assume others think the same way.

• Like 2

vor 2 Stunden schrieb daytona365:

HA! I love Tim Truman's score. It may not be the original vibe, but in my opinion it fits perfectly with the overall melancholic tone of season 5 and the burned out Crockett character. Things were not the same after the Burnett arc - cause they couldn't be. And the difference in the score underlines that, even if it may not have been deliberate or was forced by Jan's departure.

When I listen to Tim's stuff in the car, I instantly drift into a contemplative, sort of S5 mood if you will, for me his work has a certain depth. Don't get me wrong - Jan Hammer's work will always be unrivaled and played an essential part in creating the unique, original vibe of show.

The 3 songs alone that Truman provided save him a special place in MV hall of fame. "Help me through the night" is probably one of the best songs ever on the show and Tim composed it and co-wrote the lyrics with Leeman Charles.

And the guitars, even when played by Michael Thompson, still give me goose bumps. But also Tim´s composition of the other instruments and the arrangements around are awesome. A good example is Switek´s theme in Hard Knocks where he established a great feel with a very simple piano melody on top of synth strings and Thompson setting in with his guitar very precisely... 

• Like 1

Jan Hammer music: MV theme, MV New York Theme, Crockett´s theme, Flashback, Evan, Payback and many others songs.

Tim Truman score: wwwwwwwwooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. That´s all folks.

• Haha 1

If for some miraculous reason its happening and Vin Diesel is the executive producer it will be a complete mess. You need real talent for this, so somebody like Denis Villeneuve, or Michael Mann.

• 2 years later...
On 7/23/2017 at 8:28 PM, Assasinge said:

That's great news...but, it's not great news. For one, we already know how the Knight Rider reboot in 2008 was handled. An utter disaster. And now they're rebooting MV? I'm not so sure about this anymore...for one, I don't know how much of the original cast they'll bring back, let alone the original cast at all. And two, if Michael Mann flopped over 10 years ago with the movie, I don't see this being very successful. Let's be honest here. Why was the show successful back then? One, it showcased Miami in a form it really wasn't through the environment and the 80s decade, vibrant colors, the clothing, the music, the nightclubs, even the cars, and of course the characters. In this day and age, though theoretically it is possible to do all that, if it didn't work in 2006, why would it work now? Call me killjoy, but I've seen enough senseless reboots to drop any optimism on this one, if it's even true. 

That KR 2008 was to me an absolute trainwreck and I'm glad it was the end of the knight rider franchise 

• Like 1