Miami Vice reboot happening for real now?

Daytona74

vor 1 Minute schrieb vicegirl85:

My opinion is that the MV ship has sailed

That's probably the best way to put it.

It'd be best to just remember it as something that was emblematic of the grand old days that were the 80s.

I know present-day teenagers who watch the show on late night cable here, and who actually think it's really entertaining. And I like the fact that they get to see a piece of the 80s in its original form, from a decade they never got to experience themselves, rather than being fed a half-hearted rehash and letting that be their frame of reference towards the Miami Vice franchise. Or the 80s.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

That's probably the best way to put it.

It'd be best to just remember it as something that was emblematic of the grand old days that were the 80s.

I know present-day teenagers who watch the show on late night cable here, and who actually think it's really entertaining. And I like the fact that they get to see a piece of the 80s in its original form, from a decade they never got to experience themselves, rather than being fed a half-hearted rehash and letting that be their frame of reference towards the Miami Vice franchise. Or the 80s.

Hah! Speaking of modern day teenagers who watch the show on cable, and through...other means....I'm 16.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Marc said:

A modern day Miami Vice should be like season 1 of True Detective. 

True Detective is such an amazing show. I agree. It's got that realism, the darkness, if they actually do want to go through with this, that's where they should look. Whatever they do, they absolutely cannot go the generic cop show route, which is probably what has all of us so worried about this news.

vor 14 Minuten schrieb James:

Whatever they do, they absolutely cannot go the generic cop show route, which is probably what has all of us so worried about this news.

I'm most worried about the makers of "Fast and Furious" doing it. Like I've been saying. There is a possibility, albeit somewhat remote, that you can launch a remake/reboot of MV and have it be a success that will please both the old fans and whatever new fans will start enjoying it. But with Vin Diesel and the rest of the Fast and Furious team at the helm, it simply isn't going to turn out that way. You need people who really were fans of the original show, and who will be ready to be faithful to the original concept. Otherwise, we're just going to be in for "Fast and Furious: Miami".

And I haven't forgiven Vin Diesel for making me waste two hours of my life watching "Agent Triple X" at the movies when it originally came out... :thumbsdown:

Edited by Daytona74

Let's face it. No matter how bad the reboot is, I can't see any way it could be worse than Seasons 4 and 5.

Preferences for Crockett & Tubbs? I always thought a young Matthew McConaughey would have made a good Crockett.

If NBC could allow the disaster Knight Rider 2008 was, directed by  Gary Scott Thompson (who I believe directed one or two of the Fast and Furious series) then what makes you think this reboot will be any better?

Quote form the article I believe hits the nail on the head here: In a recent interview, Edward James Olmos (who played Lieutenant Martin Castillo between 1984 and 1990) said he can't imagine a Miami Vice reunion hitting the big screen. “I'd rather people go, ‘Oh, please! Please!’ than ‘I can't believe you did that. It was horrible!"  I'm sorry to say, I have to agree with this one. History has not been kind to reboots in the past usually, and for a show like this that was highly influential of its time, only because it happened to be in the 80s, really just doesn't work anymore. 

Also quoting Darren Myers from the comment section, who I believe sums my argument up well here: "Maybe not a reboot, more like a "next generation". Miami Vice centered around the booming drug market that took over Miami in the early and mid 1980's. When the war on drugs was in full swing, Miami Vice worked. But in a day when states are legalizing marijuana, and the war on drugs is all but over, using themes from that era would be foolish. Even back then, Miami Vice was dropping a million bucks an episode. The new show would need to blow that figure out of the water to have the same impact the 80's show did. Also, Miami Vice was extremely successful because it tapped into a new medium, music videos. The show itself became a music video for the artists that were selected to play on that episode. The diverse styles of pop, rock & rap in the 80's, along with Jan Hammer's keyboards allowed producers to let the music tell the story. Fashion was also very big on the show. Today, fake hip hop and pop music are all we get to listen to. But if you are going to create a show that doesn't stick to the basic storyline as the original, then don't bother calling it " Miami Vice"

Anyway, bottom line is, as much as I'm (slightly) excited for this reboot, I think NBC has to stop entirely with these reboots. And maybe not just NBC, but any reboots of the shows from decades ago should probably not be bothered with. There comes a time when, you simply have to accept the fact that for its time, the show was amazing, captured viewer's attention and hearts, and kept thriving on TV, but, and I quote the Oracle from the Matrix here: "Everything that has a beginning has an end." And that is, sadly true. The shows have come, and now they're gone. We all want to see a KR reboot true to its core, but now it's 2017, we have several world issues to focus on, and the entertainment industry is simply not the same it was 30 years ago. And I'm sure we can all speak for ourselves there, in some way shape or form, including gaming. I'm not against this reboot but I'm just saying, maybe it's time to just move on. We've all here yearning for a reboot of this, and that but when it happens, it's rarely ever successful, and when it is, we want more or it doesn't last long enough. Anyway, I'm just saying we shouldn't be getting our hopes high up anymore for these "reboots" that keep happening every so often, because some don't happen, some happen and fail, and some happen and work and then disappear too soon. Again, I'm not against the reboots, just saying keep your heads low around here. Just feeling that it is probably better for a reboot to not happen, as to have them happen and fail like Knight Rider has in the past three times (anyone remember KR 2000, Team Knight Rider and the 08' disaster?). Why not go ahead and reboot something more recent, at the very least?

Edited by Assasinge
  • Like 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb Assasinge:

Also quoting Darren Myers from the comment section, who I believe sums my argument up well here: "Maybe not a reboot, more like a "next generation". Miami Vice centered around the booming drug market that took over Miami in the early and mid 1980's. When the war on drugs was in full swing, Miami Vice worked. But in a day when states are legalizing marijuana, and the war on drugs is all but over, using themes from that era would be foolish. Even back then, Miami Vice was dropping a million bucks an episode. The new show would need to blow that figure out of the water to have the same impact the 80's show did. Also, Miami Vice was extremely successful because it tapped into a new medium, music videos. The show itself became a music video for the artists that were selected to play on that episode. The diverse styles of pop, rock & rap in the 80's, along with Jan Hammer's keyboards allowed producers to let the music tell the story. Fashion was also very big on the show. Today, fake hip hop and pop music are all we get to listen to. But if you are going to create a show that doesn't stick to the basic storyline as the original, then don't bother calling it " Miami Vice"

That's going to be one of the biggest problems right there. How do you tell stories about crime in Miami nowadays, and enough of them, and believably so... cocaine being dirt cheap as it is nowadays, compared to the 1980s. Miami may still be a crime hub in its own right today, but so is every other major North American city.

I don't really see the problem of making a show visually stunning; with today's CGI and other things, you can do that at the fraction of the cost of the 1980s. Producing a show so that it looks awesome has become affordable because nearly everybody does it, and you've got the technology to make it cost efficient. Just think of any crane or aerial shots which had to be done for real back then with a camera crane or helicopter, and which can now be had simply with a professional HD camera drone.

But Miami Vice would still be up against its own grandchildren, so to speak. The show was the grandfather of visually stunning TV drama, and as such, in a whole class of its own. Nowadays, nearly every two-bit cop show employs a similar kind of cinematography. I don't see how they're going to one-up that. Because we're all just so saturated 24/7 with awesome looking imagery in commercials, music videos, TV shows and movies. How would a new Miami Vice get viewers to sit up in their seats and pay attention like the early MV episodes did?

Edited by Daytona74

I haven't read all these posts, so maybe somebody already said something like:

The only way it will be successful (for the network) is for younger viewers who have no idea about the original series, but they like this one. 

Same thing for a remake on a song. There are so many girls who love Celine Dion's version of "All By Myself". They have no idea who Eric Carmen is, and they probably wouldn't like it if they heard it, but Celine and her ppl made millions with it. 

1 hour ago, Jerry B. said:

Time has only one direction, folks. Let's face it.

Spot on, Jerry. Tough, but very true.

10 hours ago, AzVice said:

it'll never be what the original was, and timing is completely off now. 

it's not 1984 anymore in Miami

To me a reboot of MV sounds a bit like dating your ex's sister...25 years later. It's gonna feel somewhat familiar but also kinky and wrong at the same time. 

3 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

My opinion is that the MV ship has sailed, for all of the reasons listed above.  I didn't want the series to end when it did and at the time I found the ending unsatisfactory:  I didn't like the way loose ends were left hanging--Tubbs' son, Switek's struggle to overcome his gambling addiction, the Crockett-Gina chemistry (left dead on the vine by the writers but not, I think, by the characters).  Poor Trudy got even less character development than Switek.  However, it is what it is, and the show was given a defined ending.  In the past couple of years I have been able to view Season 5 in a new way and appreciate the way a certain storytelling arc was fulfilled, and in a way that was almost inevitable. (even if I'm still not satisfied with it!) 

The original actors are all too old to recap their characters as active-duty police officers, and while one or two could be brought back in departmental leadership roles, I feel that the main thrust of the stories would necessarily be focused on younger characters due to demographics.  Miami is not the fresh new venue it was in 1984.  

On the positive side:  The current opioid crisis would provide a potential gold mine of material and would fit the noir theme of MV.  If music was used with the same sensitivity as it was in the original, it could draw viewers (that said, I am no music-head and don't really listen to new music).  While there could never be another Crockett, Tubbs, or Castillo, there could be new characters who would become iconic.  Miami itself as a multinational melting pot and entry point to the US still has potential to provide rich story material.     

Very well put! I too didn't want the show to end when or how it did...too bizarre & open ended. We never got any kind of closure! :evil:  A reunion movie with original cast  to finally close up old storylines from 1989 would be awesome...but I know that's most likely a fan-dream as too many years have passed. A new reboot just makes me roll my eyes. And a Fast and Furious style will just be stupid! :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

I have given my quota of "Likes" today, so can't Like any more of the excellent posts above!  

ViceFanMan, I agree, it would be a fan-dream come true if a reunion movie that closed up old storylines, but after all this time I'm betting most of us here have very defined ideas in our heads about what happened next, and I doubt if any script could satisfy more than 10% of true fans.  

Marc and James, I agree that the True Detective clip has the gritty, dark (in more ways than one!) atmosphere of MV and that feel could work.  I know with a short clip it's hard to get a feel for characters we would like to have in our homes every week (criteria for a successful TV show, so it has been said), and for me the language is a little too realistic, LOL.  But it does have the right tension, the right "feel".

Jerry B, how right you are:  Time has only one direction.  Thankfully we can still enjoy the original MV through streaming, DVD, and Blu-ray.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Some things you can't re-do or repeat! Several past popular shows have been attempted as a modern revamp, and they've failed...2007's Bionic Woman, 2008's Knight Rider, and 2011's Charlie's Angels to name a few--however I will admit I like the new Hawaii Five-0 (2010-Present)! 

But there'll always only be one Miami Vice!!! I would love a reunion movie with original cast :glossy:, but I know everyone's probably too old for that now, and that's most likely not ever going to happen. ;(  But a re-do of a new series just won't work. The 2006 movie version was horrible enough!! :thumbsdown: Let's let MV alone and be remembered as iconic and superb as it was! :cool:

Sadly, this is what may be best, after all !

• Like 1

On 7/24/2017 at 8:32 AM, BlackJack said:

Let's face it. No matter how bad the reboot is, I can't see any way it could be worse than Seasons 4 and 5.

Preferences for Crockett & Tubbs? I always thought a young Matthew McConaughey would have made a good Crockett.

As a whole Seasons 4 & 5 were not as popular as say Seasons 1 & 2...but the "over-dramatized" hype about how bad Seasons 4 & 5 were was ridiculous! There were several episodes in each of those seasons that were actually pretty good! I actually enjoy each season of the show. 

I don't know if they can recast new people in the old roles? When you say "Crockett" or "Tubbs" everyone's going to think Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas. I still say a new reboot is going to fail miserably...but if they're going to go ahead with it, then I'd say they almost have to create new characters but try and have somewhat the same idea as the original show.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2017 at 8:01 AM, Jerry B. said:

Please don't. The only chance to make it is gone forever in 2004 (see my article titled "The Last Big Missed Chance").

Time has only one direction, folks. Let's face it.

Time of course only moves forward...we can't do a Back To the Future thing. :p  However, we can sometimes do a retrospect and remember and/or incorporate the past with the present. It has happened before. 

Two past popular TV shows (off the top of my head) that had VERY successful reunions were Perry Mason and Hunter. In 1985 Perry Mason was brought back after almost 20 years, as a TV movie series and enjoyed success for another 10 years! In 2002 Hunter had an immensely popular reunion movie which prompted another and even an attempt at a revival series (which it's failure was due more to NBC than fans or ratings). 

However...all this was with the original characters and actors. ;) A reboot of a MV I don't believe will work...unless it has the original cast, which most likely won't happen. But, you can revisit the past sometimes if it's done right! :thumbsup: 

• Like 2

On 24/07/2017 at 6:31 AM, AzVice said:

it'll never be what the original was, and timing is completely off now. 

it's not 1984 anymore in Miami

On 24/07/2017 at 2:04 PM, vicegirl85 said:

My opinion is that the MV ship has sailed, for all of the reasons listed above.  I didn't want the series to end when it did and at the time I found the ending unsatisfactory:  I didn't like the way loose ends were left hanging--Tubbs' son, Switek's struggle to overcome his gambling addiction, the Crockett-Gina chemistry (left dead on the vine by the writers but not, I think, by the characters).  Poor Trudy got even less character development than Switek.  However, it is what it is, and the show was given a defined ending.  In the past couple of years I have been able to view Season 5 in a new way and appreciate the way a certain storytelling arc was fulfilled, and in a way that was almost inevitable. (even if I'm still not satisfied with it!) 

The original actors are all too old to recap their characters as active-duty police officers, and while one or two could be brought back in departmental leadership roles, I feel that the main thrust of the stories would necessarily be focused on younger characters due to demographics.  Miami is not the fresh new venue it was in 1984.  

On the positive side:  The current opioid crisis would provide a potential gold mine of material and would fit the noir theme of MV.  If music was used with the same sensitivity as it was in the original, it could draw viewers (that said, I am no music-head and don't really listen to new music).  While there could never be another Crockett, Tubbs, or Castillo, there could be new characters who would become iconic.  Miami itself as a multinational melting pot and entry point to the US still has potential to provide rich story material.     

On 24/07/2017 at 3:48 PM, Assasinge said:

If NBC could allow the disaster Knight Rider 2008 was, directed by  Gary Scott Thompson (who I believe directed one or two of the Fast and Furious series) then what makes you think this reboot will be any better?

Quote form the article I believe hits the nail on the head here: In a recent interview, Edward James Olmos (who played Lieutenant Martin Castillo between 1984 and 1990) said he can't imagine a Miami Vice reunion hitting the big screen. “I'd rather people go, ‘Oh, please! Please!’ than ‘I can't believe you did that. It was horrible!"  I'm sorry to say, I have to agree with this one. History has not been kind to reboots in the past usually, and for a show like this that was highly influential of its time, only because it happened to be in the 80s, really just doesn't work anymore. 

Anyway, bottom line is, as much as I'm (slightly) excited for this reboot, I think NBC has to stop entirely with these reboots. And maybe not just NBC, but any reboots of the shows from decades ago should probably not be bothered with. There comes a time when, you simply have to accept the fact that for its time, the show was amazing, captured viewer's attention and hearts, and kept thriving on TV, but, and I quote the Oracle from the Matrix here: "Everything that has a beginning has an end." And that is, sadly true. The shows have come, and now they're gone. We all want to see a KR reboot true to its core, but now it's 2017, we have several world issues to focus on, and the entertainment industry is simply not the same it was 30 years ago. And I'm sure we can all speak for ourselves there, in some way shape or form, including gaming. I'm not against this reboot but I'm just saying, maybe it's time to just move on. We've all here yearning for a reboot of this, and that but when it happens, it's rarely ever successful, and when it is, we want more or it doesn't last long enough. Anyway, I'm just saying we shouldn't be getting our hopes high up anymore for these "reboots" that keep happening every so often, because some don't happen, some happen and fail, and some happen and work and then disappear too soon. Again, I'm not against the reboots, just saying keep your heads low around here. Just feeling that it is probably better for a reboot to not happen, as to have them happen and fail like Knight Rider has in the past three times (anyone remember KR 2000, Team Knight Rider and the 08' disaster?). Why not go ahead and reboot something more recent, at the very least?

sadly i agree with all that. original MV was out of air (i don't know how you say in english when you've done a fast running and you have difficulties to breath) at season 5 end let's not forget this. a reboot would mean coherent and new ideas. if they didn't find them back then, i hardly see them finding them nowadays. in the same time i'm confident in human creativity, but the one that will try a MV reboot will need to be very very talented.

Miami fascinated back then, because the people wanted to know who was that Escobar that was raised up in a Colombian calle, and that ended up in Forbes top 100 richest. so all the ingredients were united back then to create a fascinating plot. i heard there was lot of criminality in Miami today, so why not. at least i find the attempt courageous. and personnally i don't think original series actors are a must for the series to be successful. for me when i watch the series it's Miami and Florida the most important

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpm1 said:

sadly i agree with all that. original MV was out of air (i don't know how you say in english when you've done a fast running and you have difficulties to breath) at season 5 end let's not forget this. a reboot would mean coherent and new ideas. if they didn't find them back then, i hardly see them finding them nowadays. in the same time i'm confident in human creativity, but the one that will try a MV reboot will need to be very very talented.

Miami fascinated back then, because the people wanted to know who was that Escobar that was raised up in a Colombian calle, and that ended up in Forbes top 100 richest. so all the ingredients were united back then to create a fascinating plot. i heard there was lot of criminality in Miami today, so why not. at least i find the attempt courageous. and personnally i don't think original series actors are a must for the series to be successful. for me when i watch the series it's Miami and Florida the most important

Regarding the last part about the original series' actors having a role, don't forget that Crockett had a miserably small cameo in "Leap of Faith" and the episode was terrible. More like, "Leap of Crap" as I like to call it. So, I really think at least one or two of the original actors need to be present in this reboot for any chance of success at all...

yeah i remind that episode. it's when the series was out of air (as i said) and they tried anything they could to save it even surfing on the 21 jump street craze. i think the problem of MV it's that it was too focused on the 2 main protagonists, and thus the boredom was inevitable. this is one of the main traps a future rebooter will have to avoid

vor 23 Minuten schrieb jpm1:

yeah i remind that episode. it's when the series was out of air (as i said) and they tried anything they could to save it even surfing on the 21 jump street craze. i think the problem of MV it's that it was too focused on the 2 main protagonists, and thus the boredom was inevitable. this is one of the main traps a future rebooter will have to avoid

whelp... they kind of ran out of ways to skin the proverbial cat, story wise. Even another episode with such a central figure as Al Lombard couldn't turn things around anymore in season five, nor did the episode where Castillo was reuniting with May Ying.

Even if that's how they put it back then, Miami Vice didn't go out at its height. Far from it. Naturally there'll be new stories to tell on a new series, or new ways to tell them, what with all the things like the Internet or mobile communication (I assume that that must make it really hard for a vice cop to be working the same city for more than a few weeks, in real life). But my assumption is that, at least as far as the old fans of the original series are concerned, you'll get to a point pretty quickly where you'll have people saying "What, again with this? This kind of story, again?"

I've said before that I think that IF they're going to do a new series (I still think that's a bad idea in itself, if they do it "Fast and Furious"-style), they should do some kind of anthology format. Ten one-hour or two-hour episodes per season where they give it their all, and where they deal with one single story arc each season. Like the way they did on the Fargo TV series.

Part of me hopes that somebody at NBC will actually read this forum as part of their research for the new series and quietly pick up a few suggestions... but it seems highly unlikely... :p

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Assasinge said:

Regarding the last part about the original series' actors having a role, don't forget that Crockett had a miserably small cameo in "Leap of Faith" and the episode was terrible. More like, "Leap of Crap" as I like to call it. So, I really think at least one or two of the original actors need to be present in this reboot for any chance of success at all...

1 hour ago, jpm1 said:

Leap of Faith I believe was one of three episodes (the other two being World of Trouble and Miracle Man) that were aired after the end of the show...going into June of 1989. They still had to fulfill the contract and air them at some point, but wanted to air the finale Freefall during the May ratings sweeps...to try and have one last cash-in on the show. So they had these other 3 episodes that aired after the show was considered done...so many didn't realize that and think these are "lost" episodes that never aired, when they did. Leap of Faith was stupid and boring. 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1