Goodbye Crockett and Tubbs...

Assasinge

There's no real point to this topic, I just felt the need to vent slightly after watching the final episode of Miami Vice, "Freefall."

The ending was hard to watch for me. It really was. Seeing that, these two guys, however much the series has changed from start to end...had put in their badges and finally decided to call it quits in the workforce...somewhat brought a smile to my face. I know it's fiction, but they've been through a lot. There were numerous moments where Crockett and Tubbs could have been shot and died, there were moments where they were shot but thankfully didn't die. They put up with all this, the war on drugs, crime, murders etc. for a little more than 5 years as far as I know per lore, and most of all, they were some of the snappiest and sharpest men you'd ever see around in the 80s. Watching this show in particular brought to me a change of reality that no other tv show, not even Knight Rider could have done for me. I have depression and everyday I would get up, do my morning stuff etc. and whatnot and after a while of getting my work done, put on an episode of Miami Vice and just smile and snarkiness of the plot, or the characters, jam along to the music they put in, watch certain cinematic scenes with awe, it really felt great. 

Everything about this show seemed to have made a difference in my life in one way or another, from the characters, or the plot of each segment, or the music, or just everything. And now, seeing that this was the last time I'd ever actually see Crockett and Tubbs in action again, dealing with drug dealers....brought a tear to my face. Crockett, or Don Johnson is my inspiration for who I want to be, not as a police officer, but as a man. His personality they gave him for the show, his looks, his clothing style etc. striked me as something beyond amazing, I love Crockett just a little bit more than Tubbs for some reason, I don't know why. But Tubbs was awesome too, no doubt.When they started playing the montage at the end of episodes from season 1 and through, I shed another tear. People hate this show after season 3 or 4, and I know it took a slightly different direction, but seeing the writers and producers still even able to keep this show going was amazing and brought a smile to my face. That's the last time I'd ever go and pull up another Miami Vice episode to watch again, because now there no longer was any Crockett and Tubbs fighting another drug dealer with crazy hair and weird clothing. It was over. 

So I just want to say, whether Don Johnson or Phillip Thomas reads this or not, or anyone from the Miami Vice team...thank you. Thank you for bringing an amazing change in my life through heartwarming characters, and I think I owe it to whoever was supervisor for the music in the series. Without you, my 80s playlist would not be 40 hours long right now. Thanks again if you even read this far. 

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I always have to watch the pilot right after to console myself. 

I think I'll have to do that too lol

I understand your sentiments, especially if this was your first time through the series. The good news is you can always go back to whatever season you wish and enjoy them again. I probably have watched the series a dozen times since it came out on DVD, plus I watch episodes individually or in blocks all of the time. Right now, I have seasons one and two burning up my DVD player. I can't count the times I have it playing in my DVD player when I am doing something else in my house. The cool thing is friends and family have dropped by at such times and gotten sucked in to MV.

In my mind, sometimes they are still in those first two seasons, just starting out together. Other times I think they eventually got the gang back together. I remember a few years ago when Johnson was Sonny again complete with clothes in a commercial with LeBron James when he was playing with Miami. It gave me a feeling the MV crew was still together, and that made me smile.

You know you can also go as far into MV as you wish. For example, my wardrobe is heavy on clothes many of the guys wore in the series. I have tons of Hawaiian shirts and guayaberas that I wear with khakis to my main job (high school teacher) ninety percent of the time. The other times I wear a lot of Sonny clothes...henley or pastel t-shirts under my blazers with dress pants and Sonny inspired shoes like espadrilles and other slip on loafers. I even wear either Wayfarers or other types of MV looking sunglasses. 

My other job is a palm tree business that I started. One reason I love palm trees is from watching MV, Magnum, PI, and the original Hawaii Five-O. Palm trees scream MV, and my yard has different types of palms in it. 

My musical tastes are mostly tunes from the 80s. My favorite video games include GTA Vice City and Scarface simply because I feel like I am in a MV episode when I play them. On a side note, I hope GTA 6 has Vice City in it.

Would you be shocked if I told you that a lot of my house is decorated with a Florida vibe/theme to it? Of course, it doesn't hurt that my wife was born in South Florida, so she loves that type of look. 

We have a good Cuban restaurant in town, and every time we go there, I feel like I am in an episode of MV. There is also a Thai and Japanese restaurant in town that makes me feel like that too...I always expect to see someone from The Golden Triangle in there...lol. Maybe it is due to the fact  that one of the cooks does resemble one of the guys in the restaurant they visit. I better watch that guy...lol.

People at work, students, and folks in the real world always give me positive feedback on my clothing choices. I can't tell you how many women have told me they wish their husbands or boyfriends would wear things that I have on. Sure, you might get a second look from some people, but usually it is from people wearing something boring. Most people find the Sonny look classic. I spend a fair amount of time in S. Florida due to having relatives on my wife's side down there, and I have seen more than one gentleman wearing a Sonny inspired ensemble whether they purposely did it or not. 

You can even buy yourself a Sonny inspired car. It might not be a Ferrari, but there are plenty of cool coupes and convertibles to choose from, both used and new. I know driving around in one with 80s music playing  always makes me feel like I am in MV.

My point is I understand your feelings about the show, but hey pal, you can rewatch (I usually keep the show in the first two seasons in my mind) and live as much of the lifestyle you choose to each day...from your attitude to your clothes to the music you listen to and car(s) that you drive.

To borrow a phrase from the lieutenant, "Keep me (the board) posted!"

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Scot from S.C. said:

I understand your sentiments, especially if this was your first time through the series. The good news is you can always go back to whatever season you wish and enjoy them again. I probably have watched the series a dozen times since it came out on DVD, plus I watch episodes individually or in blocks all of the time. Right now, I have seasons one and two burning up my DVD player. I can't count the times I have it playing in my DVD player when I am doing something else in my house. The cool thing is friends and family have dropped by at such times and gotten sucked in to MV.

In my mind, sometimes they are still in those first two seasons, just starting out together. Other times I think they eventually got the gang back together. I remember a few years ago when Johnson was Sonny again complete with clothes in a commercial with LeBron James when he was playing with Miami. It gave me a feeling the MV crew was still together, and that made me smile.

You know you can also go as far into MV as you wish. For example, my wardrobe is heavy on clothes many of the guys wore in the series. I have tons of Hawaiian shirts and guayaberas that I wear with khakis to my main job (high school teacher) ninety percent of the time. The other times I wear a lot of Sonny clothes...henley or pastel t-shirts under my blazers with dress pants and Sonny inspired shoes like espadrilles and other slip on loafers. I even wear either Wayfarers or other types of MV looking sunglasses. 

My other job is a palm tree business that I started. One reason I love palm trees is from watching MV, Magnum, PI, and the original Hawaii Five-O. Palm trees scream MV, and my yard has different types of palms in it. 

My musical tastes are mostly tunes from the 80s. My favorite video games include GTA Vice City and Scarface simply because I feel like I am in a MV episode when I play them. On a side note, I hope GTA 6 has Vice City in it.

Would you be shocked if I told you that a lot of my house is decorated with a Florida vibe/theme to it? Of course, it doesn't hurt that my wife was born in South Florida, so she loves that type of look. 

We have a good Cuban restaurant in town, and every time we go there, I feel like I am in an episode of MV. There is also a Thai and Japanese restaurant in town that makes me feel like that too...I always expect to see someone from The Golden Triangle in there...lol. Maybe it is due to the fact  that one of the cooks does resemble one of the guys in the restaurant they visit. I better watch that guy...lol.

People at work, students, and folks in the real world always give me positive feedback on my clothing choices. I can't tell you how many women have told me they wish their husbands or boyfriends would wear things that I have on. Sure, you might get a second look from some people, but usually it is from people wearing something boring. Most people find the Sonny look classic. I spend a fair amount of time in S. Florida due to having relatives on my wife's side down there, and I have seen more than one gentleman wearing a Sonny inspired ensemble whether they purposely did it or not. 

You can even buy yourself a Sonny inspired car. It might not be a Ferrari, but there are plenty of cool coupes and convertibles to choose from, both used and new. I know driving around in one with 80s music playing  always makes me feel like I am in MV.

My point is I understand your feelings about the show, but hey pal, you can rewatch (I usually keep the show in the first two seasons in my mind) and live as much of the lifestyle you choose to each day...from your attitude to your clothes to the music you listen to and car(s) that you drive.

To borrow a phrase from the lieutenant, "Keep me (the board) posted!"

Hey man, thanks for the, support I guess haha! You're correct, I only recently discovered this show because I was i Costco once and was going to pick up another season of Knight Rider I was missing, but then I saw Miami Vice next to it, and being an 80s sucker I thought these two guys looked pretty cool, even though I didn't know what it was about. So I took it home and thus, began my journey into the Undercover lives of Burnett and Cooper. But yeah, it is my first time going through the whole series. 

I have Sonny's glasses and hair, all I need is the white coat and and pants, along with the blue shirt to go underneath it! I don't suppose my Subaru currently does much to serve as a Daytona but in a few years I'll get myself a convertible of some sort and head down the highway blasting something like, maybe Bad Attitude! 

Also checked out the commercial with Don Johnson as Sonny Crockett here: 

I was more than pleased to still see him lookin' just as good after almost 30 something years! 

This all comes down to the fact that I'm only 17. Adults give me that look when I tell them I know this show and the music etc. lol

• Like 3

Trust me, you are never too young or too old to catch the Miami Vice fever! Remember, we all started somewhere, and it sounds like you are on your way appearance-wise. Don't forget...the MV attitude is essential too. 

I am glad that you picked up the DVDs on that fateful day. Things will never be the same after that event. :)

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Scot from S.C. said:

Trust me, you are never too young or too old to catch the Miami Vice fever! Remember, we all started somewhere, and it sounds like you are on your way appearance-wise. Don't forget...the MV attitude is essential too. 

I am glad that you picked up the DVDs on that fateful day. Things will never be the same after that event. :)

No doubt about that Scot. And yeah, it's funny seeing as to how I've started developing Crockett's attitude without even realizing it! Talk about a "Bad Attitude"! 

What a bad joke.

Assasinge,

Amazing sentiments towards the show, and I too find Freefall hard to watch ;(...in all honesty I've only seen it twice. I usually rewatch a different episode to end the series when going through episodes again.  

I also have Crockett-like hair, his sunglasses :cool:, White pants, and many pink and teal shirts. I love dressing Miami Vice, and lots of 80s styles are back in style--it's awesome! :dance2:

I loved Dukes of Hazzard, Knight Rider, Magnum, p.i., Hunter, and many 80s shows while growing up...but Miami Vice totally defined the decade and the stylish flare & sizzling excitement were one of a kind! :glossy:

• Like 2

bought two linen shirts yesterday, don't ask me why. i agree that that era is pretty magic. i mean, it seems that whatever you do it won't ever die. all these fluo pink clothes and all are still looking nice, even 40 years later (bought a fluo orange running shoes today ^^)

Edited by jpm1
  • Like 1

On 7/29/2017 at 3:36 AM, Assasinge said:

No doubt about that Scot. And yeah, it's funny seeing as to how I've started developing Crockett's attitude without even realizing it! Talk about a "Bad Attitude"! 

What a bad joke.

23 hours ago, jpm1 said:

bought two linen shirts yesterday, don't ask me why. i agree that that era is pretty magic. i mean, it seems that whatever you do it won't ever die. all these fluo pink clothes and all are still looking nice, even 40 years later (bought a fluo orange running shoes today ^^)

Hah, it's almost like the 80s ruled or something, isn't it? :p

Which, speaking of, the 80s sure seem to be making a comeback in an interesting way. Ever heard of NewRetroWave?

42 minutes ago, cageyJG said:

Thanks Cagey, I was just listening to that song on repeat while continuing to write my fanfiction and writing up a car chase! Very fitting music.

• 2 weeks later...

There are thousands of artists all over the world making music like that. I've been part of the scene for 6 years now (after searching for it my entire life, I'm 33 y.o, btw) and apparently it's been around since as far back as 2006!! I honestly couldn't tell you where to begin your journey into this world, but I will give you a warning: Once you enter you won't wanna leave. This music scene has pretty much taken over my life (when I'm not working, of course), and I can't get enough of it. Couple that with my "Crockett's Closet" wardrobe (you can see the pics on my thread here on the board), and you can forget the phrase "I love the 80's". Why? Because I LIVE the 80's!!!

IMG_20170509_213718.jpg

Edited by TylerDurden389
  • Like 1

On 28/07/2017 at 3:48 PM, Assasinge said:

There's no real point to this topic, I just felt the need to vent slightly after watching the final episode of Miami Vice, "Freefall."

The ending was hard to watch for me. It really was. Seeing that, these two guys, however much the series has changed from start to end...had put in their badges and finally decided to call it quits in the workforce...somewhat brought a smile to my face. I know it's fiction, but they've been through a lot. There were numerous moments where Crockett and Tubbs could have been shot and died, there were moments where they were shot but thankfully didn't die. They put up with all this, the war on drugs, crime, murders etc. for a little more than 5 years as far as I know per lore, and most of all, they were some of the snappiest and sharpest men you'd ever see around in the 80s. Watching this show in particular brought to me a change of reality that no other tv show, not even Knight Rider could have done for me. I have depression and everyday I would get up, do my morning stuff etc. and whatnot and after a while of getting my work done, put on an episode of Miami Vice and just smile and snarkiness of the plot, or the characters, jam along to the music they put in, watch certain cinematic scenes with awe, it really felt great. 

Everything about this show seemed to have made a difference in my life in one way or another, from the characters, or the plot of each segment, or the music, or just everything. And now, seeing that this was the last time I'd ever actually see Crockett and Tubbs in action again, dealing with drug dealers....brought a tear to my face. Crockett, or Don Johnson is my inspiration for who I want to be, not as a police officer, but as a man. His personality they gave him for the show, his looks, his clothing style etc. striked me as something beyond amazing, I love Crockett just a little bit more than Tubbs for some reason, I don't know why. But Tubbs was awesome too, no doubt.When they started playing the montage at the end of episodes from season 1 and through, I shed another tear. People hate this show after season 3 or 4, and I know it took a slightly different direction, but seeing the writers and producers still even able to keep this show going was amazing and brought a smile to my face. That's the last time I'd ever go and pull up another Miami Vice episode to watch again, because now there no longer was any Crockett and Tubbs fighting another drug dealer with crazy hair and weird clothing. It was over. 

So I just want to say, whether Don Johnson or Phillip Thomas reads this or not, or anyone from the Miami Vice team...thank you. Thank you for bringing an amazing change in my life through heartwarming characters, and I think I owe it to whoever was supervisor for the music in the series. Without you, my 80s playlist would not be 40 hours long right now. Thanks again if you even read this far. 

Great post :hippie:

• Like 1

On 28/07/2017 at 4:21 PM, Dadrian said:

I always have to watch the pilot right after to console myself. 

Yes exactly ! This is the way I do it - start from the beginning all over again :hippie:

• Like 1

On 7/28/2017 at 9:48 AM, Assasinge said:

Very cool post.  I grew up in the 80's but did not watch Miami Vice until the early 2000's.  I followed the fashions of the time and went through the various phases ... neon, parachute pants with the bandana tied around the thigh, black Chuck Taylors with parallel neon laces, etc.  The world was a much smaller place in the absence of the Internet and smartphones.  You went to the mall to see what people were wearing and to see what the fashion and music trends were.  Your heroes were on TV and you had to make it a point to watch things on a schedule because there were no on demand or streaming services.  The whole time period was just cool.

I went through a period where Alex Keaton on Family Ties was the equivalent of your Crockett.  It was a time in my life where I was trying to figure out who I was and he was who I tried to emulate.  I didn't go so far as to wear a suit and tie every day but I became business minded and made sure I did well in school so I would have a good future.  I took a different direction in college when I realized I absolutely hated economics. :)  It's weird how some of my work ethic and money management skills can be attributed to Family Ties.  I guess my point is, a lot of us have picked up who we want to be from pop culture.  How far you take it is up to you.  We obviously can't BE that person but you can take certain attributes that can be applied to your own life. 

I watch Vice a lot lately and it is because I am still fascinated by the early to mid 80's.  The trends, fashion, music and technology ... all of it.  I watched a multi part 80's documentary  narrated by Rob Lowe (I think it is called The 80's: The Decade That Made Us) and I was absolutely glued to the television for hours one weekend since they played them back to back.  I do find myself wishing I was back in that era.  Even though I am in information technology, you don't know how much I long for a smaller world where we had to research at the library, read old newspapers on microfiche, have the librarian flip over the laserdisc you are watching at the media center, stuff like that.  I look around today at school sporting events and half of the parents there are too busy on Facebook to even bother watching.  

If I could get into a time machine with the opportunity to spend 3-4 years somewhere in time it would be 1984-1987.  I know it's because I am nostalgic and those were my formative years but that's my choice.

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IA-SteveB said:

That is some really catchy music on the New Retro Wave video

I know right! There's tons more on youtube of it, just gotta search it up lol. 

43 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Great post :hippie:

Thank you!

15 minutes ago, IA-SteveB said:

Very cool post.  I grew up in the 80's but did not watch Miami Vice until the early 2000's.  I followed the fashions of the time and went through the various phases ... neon, parachute pants with the bandana tied around the thigh, black Chuck Taylors with parallel neon laces, etc.  The world was a much smaller place in the absence of the Internet and smartphones.  You went to the mall to see what people were wearing and to see what the fashion and music trends were.  Your heroes were on TV and you had to make it a point to watch things on a schedule because there were no on demand or streaming services.  The whole time period was just cool.

I went through a period where Alex Keaton on Family Ties was the equivalent of your Crockett.  It was a time in my life where I was trying to figure out who I was and he was who I tried to emulate.  I didn't go so far as to wear a suit and tie every day but I became business minded and made sure I did well in school so I would have a good future.  I took a different direction in college when I realized I absolutely hated economics. :)  It's weird how some of my work ethic and money management skills can be attributed to Family Ties.  I guess my point is, a lot of us have picked up who we want to be from pop culture.  How far you take it is up to you.  We obviously can't BE that person but you can take certain attributes that can be applied to your own life. 

I watch Vice a lot lately and it is because I am still fascinated by the early to mid 80's.  The trends, fashion, music and technology ... all of it.  I watched a multi part 80's documentary  narrated by Rob Lowe (I think it is called The 80's: The Decade That Made Us) and I was absolutely glued to the television for hours one weekend since they played them back to back.  I do find myself wishing I was back in that era.  Even though I am in information technology, you don't know how much I long for a smaller world where we had to research at the library, read old newspapers on microfiche, have the librarian flip over the laserdisc you are watching at the media center, stuff like that.  I look around today at school sporting events and half of the parents there are too busy on Facebook to even bother watching.  

If I could get into a time machine with the opportunity to spend 3-4 years somewhere in time it would be 1984-1987.  I know it's because I am nostalgic and those were my formative years but that's my choice.

Thanks for the cool post man! I didn't get the chance to group in the 80s or even the 90s, I was actually born in 2000. So I'm 17, but I'm a very old school person, I love Vice obviously, but I'm also fond of the music back then, as I am even of the simplicity of technology, whereareas unlike today almost every corner you turn, there will be some bimbo with a smartphone staring right into his/her face. Though it's more advantageous than it was today, the disadvantages are seemingly far more prevalent too. But thanks for the post, always cool to read about folks' experiences of growing up in these times that I didn't!

3 hours ago, IA-SteveB said:

Dude,  I lived thru those years.  My last year in college and my first 2 years in the Air Force.  It absolutely was the best of times for me.  The music, the clothing, the night clubs, the WOMEN,!!  :D  Plus the economy was booming.  I recall gasoline being $00.49 a gallon in 1986.    It was a happy time!!  Some times I get so emotional about those years.  My heart races with excitement as my mind remembers the FUN I experienced. That is why I love this website.  I can go back to my wild days of youth without leaving my desk. 

• Like 1

On 08/08/2017 at 6:32 PM, Assasinge said:

I know right! There's tons more on youtube of it, just gotta search it up lol. 

Thank you!

Thanks for the cool post man! I didn't get the chance to group in the 80s or even the 90s, I was actually born in 2000. So I'm 17, but I'm a very old school person, I love Vice obviously, but I'm also fond of the music back then, as I am even of the simplicity of technology, whereareas unlike today almost every corner you turn, there will be some bimbo with a smartphone staring right into his/her face. Though it's more advantageous than it was today, the disadvantages are seemingly far more prevalent too. But thanks for the post, always cool to read about folks' experiences of growing up in these times that I didn't!

Great post-  remember after you finish "Freefall" take a few nites break then start with "Brothers Keeper" and so it starts all over again:hippie:

Assasinge, you're a ray of hope! It always heartens me when young people get into the 80's and recognize how much better it was. For the music, the fashion, the lifestyle etc...
(Young) folks back then knew how to dress (well, most of them) and apparently understood that this had a positive influence on them and their environment. But it actually reflected who they were too. What happened? It's really sad to see the state culture and society is in nowadays. But luckily there's people like you and phenomena such as Retrowave who rediscover and carry on the spirit. Please do so. And spread the vibes!
And of course there's also people like us who have never forgotten how magical the 80s were and who had its seeds implanted in them and keep watering the plants. Especially the palm trees. ;-)

Edited by Den Taylor
  • Like 2

On 8/15/2017 at 6:37 AM, Matt5 said:

Great post-  remember after you finish "Freefall" take a few nites break then start with "Brothers Keeper" and so it starts all over again:hippie:

Or...after viewing once so you can say you've seen it...skip over Freefall from now on--and I'd start over with the Pilot (also known as Brother's Keeper) immediately! Don't wait! :baby: :p

1 hour ago, Den Taylor said:

Assasinge, you're a ray of hope! It always heartens me when young people get into the 80's and recognize how much better it was. For the music, the fashion, the lifestyle etc...
(Young) folks back then knew how to dress (well, most of them) and apparently understood that this had a positive influence on them and their environment. But it actually reflected who they were too. What happened? It's really sad to see the state culture and society is in nowadays. But luckily there's people like you and phenomena such as Retrowave who rediscover and carry on the spirit. Please do so. And spread the vibes!
And of course there's also people like us who have never forgotten how magical the 80s were and who had its seeds implanted in them and keep watering the plants. Especially the palm trees. ;-)

Beautifully and accurately stated! :clap: However, despite it making for one of the best and most popular cop shows ever :thumbsup: , the drug/cocaine lifestyle of the 80s should NOT be carried on--nor parachute pants, shoulder pads for women, or mullets! :eek: :p  But everything else 80s...yeah, baby!! :dance2:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Den Taylor said:

100% appreciate it man, thank you. A lot of this stems from my dad's nostalgic nature so I have him to thank too, of course. And you guys. Haha!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ViceFanMan said:

Or...after viewing once so you can say you've seen it...skip over Freefall from now on--and I'd start over with the Pilot (also known as Brother's Keeper) immediately! Don't wait! :baby: :p

Beautifully and accurately stated! :clap: However, despite it making for one of the best and most popular cop shows ever :thumbsup: , the drug/cocaine lifestyle of the 80s should NOT be carried on--nor parachute pants, shoulder pads for women, or mullets! :eek: :p  But everything else 80s...yeah, baby!! :dance2:

Definetly agree with the last part lol!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Beautifully said :hippie:

• Like 1