Miami Vice themes live with Jeff Beck

Den Taylor

Have you guys seen this? These versions are quite different live - and I love how extended the NY theme is!

Does anyone know of any other MV themes played live on stage? (I don't mean playback)

This one comes pretty close from 1983 - Jan played that tune himself when he was featured on the BBC Rock School Series. :dance2:
Here he only does a little solo starting at 2:05 whie Jeff is doing the main guitar. (After all it's his song, right)

Edited by Den Taylor
  • Like 1

These are great! I posted the first two of those a few months ago in another thread--maybe the "what are you listening to" thread? I had only discovered them that recently, though. I wish I'd been there when they recorded them! :thumbsup:

Edited by Dadrian

• 3 weeks later...

Ah ok, so you beat me to it, Dadrian. Twice the charm or something like that. ;)
I really love that Star Cycle performance. I found out that the song is on Jeff's 1980 Album "There and back" but that it was written by Jan. Figures! A lot of the commentators on that video mention that it reminds them of the Miami Vice theme and I have to agree. ;)
I gave the album version a listen and I have to say it is less impressive than that live version. Strange? I really like what Jeff is doing live at 3.57 for instance...I mean what the heck? Stuff like that is missing on the album version. :(

I did find another MV tune performed live by Jan. Crockett's Theme together with Tony Williams.

But I have to say this performance kinda disappoints me....I mean Jan's playing is great as usual and so is Tony's drumming - but for some reason they picked strange sounds. And the overall sound is lacking warmth.? I have to conclude they're not using 80's synths.  I do like what they did at 3.30 on though...almost like a completely different song. :) Opinions?

Edited by Den Taylor
  • Like 1