'Miami Vice' Reboot From Vin Diesel in the Works at NBC

sredd

5982464c625af_Screenshot2017-08-02at5_37_21PM.png.aef400ace8c70f847b93c418a5cfa209.png

Perfectly summed up right here.

When will they learn? When will they fu**ing learn??

Just read this part: Diesel will reteam with Chris Morgan ('Fast and the Furious') and exec produce the revival, which is in development at the network that originally aired the Don Johnson starrer.

Goodness gracious....

I just don't undertand their locgic?? NBC saw a failure with their Knight Rider reboot, which failed a total of three times. Now the first MV reboot has failed with the crappy movie, but no. Forget the movie. Now we're going to reboot it as a show in 2017 and make it even worse than you dreamed of! After all...we just want the money.

Before this impending disaster hits TV, I just want to say sorry to Don Johnson and Phillip Michael Thomas, along with Michael Mann and the cast and crew of Miami Vice, sorry for the fact that a legendary tv series is going to be thrown into the trash my NBC under the guise of a reboot. Peace.

Edited by Assasinge
  • Like 5

ok if they're not going to do at least all the exterior filming in and around Miami, not just the establishing shots but whole entire scenes, they might as well just stop dead in their tracks right now. This show will get panned both by critics and loyal fans alike before it even gets to make its point.

I actually read a while ago that Florida has scrapped virtually all its movie industry tax credits and funding. I think areas like Miami-Dade are in fact now thinking about rolling out their own local incentive programs, but they're talking a few hundred thousand dollars a year in total, which is never ever going to be enough to draw a production of the magnitude that a worthy successor to the original series of MV would be.

If Michael Mann himself got the reboot wrong with his movie, with millions spent filming on location in Miami, then how on Earth is Vin Diesel going to succeed with a Fast and Furious:Miami that isn't even shot in Miami?

I will turn off the TV as soon as I see the L.A. mountains in the background of a faux Miami Beach car chase, that's for sure... :thumbsdown:

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Alright, I just want to expand on my comment here in more detail, not that NBC will care or anything but I feel the need to vent against this BS.

So first off, what even made Miami Vice the show it is today? One of the obvious reasons is the decade. They just so happen to have thought up the idea of the show in the 80s, and they got a golden start right there. The war on drugs was going to strong at the time, so the producers naturally capitalized on that and decided to work the show in favor of the War and it clearly worked. Sure, after several episodes of busting some drug dealer here and a dealer there, you'd think it'd get boring doing the same thing over and over again. Wrong! The show had its way of twisting the plot in ways the viewers wouldn't naturally expect. Oh, Crockett arrested the drug dealer? Well shit, he just committed suicide off the ledge just as soon as they were coming to pick him up. (Audience gasp) It's things like these that kept viewers coming back for and realized, hey, this show isn't like any other cop show we've seen yet!

Music. Music played a very, very key role in the show and you're all ware of that. Every episode had its specific music choices, for specific scenes. Sad scene? Go ahead with Jan Hammer's "Rain" or some sad song like Steve Vinwood's "There's a River" (notable moment when Switek finds Zito dead). Cruising down the highway scene? Go put on some "Born to be Free"! See, the 80s was cranking out some seriously awesome techno beat music that was different from other decaded, though every decade is different of course. Then you had bands like Roxy Music that actually were ahead of their time, but anyway, the point is, the music from the 80s that was used in the show set a stylistic tone, a stylistic mood and a pattern. Without it, the show wouldn't necessarily have failed, but would be pretty blatant and probably boring after a while. And I give credit to the show for enlightening me with new 80s music I haven't heard of and filling up my 80s playlist.

Cinematography. I won't go into too much detail for this one, because the cinematography at the time was very revolutionary and a new way of film making and set in stone new standards for what the industry is able to do today. When someone says "Miami Vice", what's the first thing that pops into your head? Is it the palm trees from the intro? Maybe it's a colorful, well lit nightclub scene? Maybe it's two guys walking down the colorful streets of Miami in classy suits with hot cars and women in bikinis skating by. Point is, the reason most of these scenes pop into your head is because of the specific direction of film making this show took in order to get its point across. They realized that, in order to establish this show within its decade, they needed to shoot things in a way that would show viewers, "Hey, this is the 80s! This is what everyone wore, how everyone danced, did their hair, cars around here etc." And no doubt, one of the most iconic scenes of MV is the "In the Air Tonight" scene we all know and love. From the perspective shots of the bottom of the Daytona's shiny rims, to the side shots of Crockett and Tubbs speeding down the streets to catch up to Calderone, set a specific standard of cinematography for the show itself, right there.

Onto why this reboot will undoubtedly fail: As user "Daytona74" mentioned, Michael Mann himself somehow managed to get the 2006 reboot wrong, mainly because of the fact that Don Johnson and PMT, along with the rest of the original cast was not present in the movie. That and the fact that Miami, Florida had changed nearly 20 something years later. Now? Now we're talking almost 30 something years later. The war on drugs, while still technically present in some areas, is pretty much no more. What are they going to do now? Sit and solve murder cases and burglaries? And try to sneak in drug deals that no one cares about anymore? No can do amigo. The reason the show is called Miami Vice is because the VICE division deals with narcotics, drugs, prostitution, and some other crimes etc. What will they do now? They really can't focus on drugs because that isn't that big of an issue anymore, and if they do other crimes, then they can't really call it Miami VICE anymore. And not only that, but times have changed too drastically. We're now a technology driven society. Seeing Crockett and Tubbs using Iphones and texting each other, hacking or something absurd like that will simply not work. And let's not leave casting out of this, shall we? Don Johnson and PMT most likely won't return in their original roles, and to be honest, I don't think they're going to bother bringing any of the original cast members back in some shape or form at all. At the very least, bring back DJ as the new Lieutenant or some sort of different PD he works for now, since Crockett and Tubbs did quit the PD. But alas, I don't believe any of the user suggested latter here and on the internet elsewhere will happen.  Not to mention...most of us who grew up with the show aren't teens anymore. We're still attached to that awesome 80s music. So I can guarantee you, they will use some shoddy music from this new generation and hope no one cares about it...when in fact, most of the viewers who tune in to this reboot will be folks who don't know this new music, don't care about it, and straight up hate it.

NBC please. Please stop with the reboots and leave good shows alone. Don't tarnish them by having the younger generation grow up with this horrid crap and years later, when they are asked about Miami Vice or talk about it, refer to this one...please....

Edited by Assasinge
  • Like 5

I think a reboot would definitely work, even with a new cast.  Keep in mind the television landscape and technology itself are far different than they were in 1984. And for the most part, "action" shows are grittier and usually move at a much faster pace these days.  How many reboots can you think of that utilized the original cast? Hawaii Five-0 has had a successful run with a new cast.  As I said in my previous post, I can see the original cast appearing here and there in various episodes, but that would be just a nod to them from their former roles.  

Edited by mvnyc

vor 50 Minuten schrieb Assasinge:

As user "Daytona74" mentioned, Michael Mann himself somehow managed to get the 2006 reboot wrong, mainly because of the fact that Don Johnson and PMT, along with the rest of the original cast was not present in the movie. That and the fact that Miami, Florida had changed nearly 20 something years later.

Also, I think Jamie Foxx was really kind of an unfortunate choice to play Tubbs, because he had certain ideas about the movie that weren't on the same page as what Michael Mann wanted to accomplish. And that kind of screwed things up further, because those frequent differences of opinion between Jamie Foxx and the rest of the crew made the whole filming process difficult. I think there's even a paragraph about that in the movie's Wikipedia entry.

Other than an immense stroke of luck in the alignment of the stars for a reboot, I see no way on Earth that a new MV will ever be successful at all. We don't even have to look at the 2006 movie. We all know what happened in season 3 of the original series when a slight variation in the magic formula ultimately caused the whole thing to become unglued and ushered in the show's decline. They really only threw out the pastels, made the storylines a tad more grim and played edgier music, but it was more than enough to set Miami Vice on a path towards a slow painful death.

If getting a show or a franchise like Miami Vice right has proved to be such a balancing act on a knife edge, then surely somebody like Vin Diesel whose trademark style is really more along the lines of vapid big-explosion popcorn action cinema doesn't stand a chance. Especially not if the show gets filmed anywhere other than Miami itself. Maybe he will against the odds deliver some sort of show that will have enough knuckleheads among his usual fan base watching to justify a half-hearted second season. But it will not do Miami Vice any justice ever.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mvnyc said:

I think a reboot would definitely work, even with a new cast.  Keep in mind the television landscape and technology itself are far different than they were in 1984. And for the most part, "action" shows are grittier and usually move at a much faster pace these days.  How many reboots can you think of that utilized the original cast? Hawaii Five-0 has had a successful run with a new cast.  As I said in my previous post, I can see the original cast appearing here and there in various episodes, but that would be just a nod to them from their former roles.  

But now see, that's where the problem lies. You can't really compare Hawaii Five-O to a show like Miami Vice. Why? Well first of all, as far as I remember, H50 didn't have a set theme, like the war on drugs or something along those lines, and it wasn't "era locked", meaning it wasn't confined to just the late 60s, or the 70s or something. Miami Vice took advantage of the War on Drugs, as well as Miami itself. Though I'm sure you're all aware, it was because of Miami Vice we see Miami the way it is now, and people saw it through the MV lens back then. Other than that, it wasn't that awesome of a place as it was made out to be, there were constant riots in cities here and there, and if I recall, Miami didn't want it's image to be "tarnished' with the whole drugs thing with MV.

But besides that, Hawaii Five-O can work with a new cast because it didn't exactly build characters in the same way MV did. Granted, they obviously build their own memorable characters, but, Miami Vice just instantly brings up "Crockett and Tubbs" into your mind because of the classic cop-duo partner thing, combined with the show being unique in itself. So I'm not saying your opinion is wrong or anything, but the arguments you seem to have made doesn't really seem to me a good reason as to why this reboot will succeed. Yes, you're certainly right about the technology changing from back then to today, no doubt about that. But the problem is, as I described earlier, the cinematography and technology back then helped propel MV to the front of TV screens. Now, Hollywood can do it any way they like, especially with a mass improvement in CGI too, so the unique scenes like "In the Air Tonight" won't seem so unique anymore today if they were to be filmed for the first time today, because every other movie and tv show now does, pretty much that at some point in its timeline of events. 

Sure pays off to be a filmmaker sometimes.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

We don't even have to look at the 2006 movie. We all know what happened in season 3 of the original series when a slight variation in the magic formula ultimately caused the whole thing to become unglued and ushered in the show's decline. They really only threw out the pastels, made the storylines a tad more grim and played edgier music, but it was more than enough to set Miami Vice on a path towards a slow painful death.

If getting a show or a franchise like Miami Vice right has proved to be such a balancing act on a knife edge, then surely somebody like Vin Diesel whose trademark style is really more along the lines of vapid big-explosion popcorn action cinema doesn't stand a chance. Especially not if the show gets filmed anywhere other than Miami itself. Maybe he will against the odds deliver some sort of show that will have enough knuckleheads among his usual fan base watching to justify a half-hearted second season. But it will not do Miami Vice any justice ever.

Agreed, many people will say that when the Daytona is scrapped from the series that's when the show jumps the gun. And I have to somewhat agree. While the show was still awesome in its many ways afterwards, when you watch an episode from Season 3, 4, or 5...and then watch an episode from Season 1 or 2, it just doesn't feel the same, does it?

I saw a FB post earlier today by Michael Talbott implying he may be interested in  a Chief of Detectives role in the new series, and for readers to Tweet same to Vin Diesel.

Hopefully that was tongue in cheek. :p 

I for one cannot see the remake succeeding if it is associated with Diesel or the other aforementioned Fast & Furious people aligned with a new production. It could be worse than the 2006 film.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

vor 28 Minuten schrieb Sonny-Burnett:

I saw a FB post earlier today by Michael Talbot implying he may be interested in  a Chief of Detectives role in the new series, and for readers to Tweet same to Vin Diesel.

Michael Talbott never really lost his great sense of humor :)

But maybe he isn't kidding and would really be up for it.

Also, Philip Michael Thomas has done stranger things in the past. He even agreed to be an extra at that one guy's wedding who owns a Daytona and a Scarab, effectively reenacting Crockett's wedding scene from season four.

But still, the way this reboot is shaping up, it could be that you will just end up feeling endlessly sorry for old cast members who may or may not get dragged into this.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

Well he certainly never did, though in a few modern interviews I've seen with him, he seems to in a hurry to rush things along or something, or comes off as riding a high or something. I don't know.

56 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

Also, Philip Michael Thomas has done stranger things in the past. He even agreed to be an extra at that one guy's wedding who owns a Daytona and a Scarab, effectively reenacting Crockett's wedding scene from season four.

But still, the way this reboot is shaping up, it could be that you will just end up feeling endlessly sorry for old cast members who may or may not get dragged into this.

DJ, PMT... et all, would have to be in it for a reboot to be a success.

It may be good or it may stink but I'll be ok with it as long as it's not a reboot of the characters. No new Crockett & Tubbs. New characters placed within the same world that original show took place. That way, there could always be a chance for original characters to appear. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, sredd said:

Now this idea could work. This article is from 2015, updated with this new announcement. I think I posted it back in 2015. https://www.google.com/amp/s/consequenceofsound.net/2015/01/miami-vice-return-to-television/amp/

Fantastic article, I got goosebumps reading that, it's brilliant! 

4 hours ago, Tony D. said:

DJ, PMT... et all, would have to be in it for a reboot to be a success.

that's my idea also Tony. That would be great. After all, they made the great succes. Will not happen i'm afraid...Don Johnson and philip michael thomas perhaps once in one show for old times sake will be all. But MV still is able to make people work on new ideas. We'll see.

I agree with Jerry B.--Time moves in one direction.  

Miami Vice was great for everything it was.  A new "Miami Vice" without the original actors, the characters, the storylines; updating, ... would not bring back the magic.  Enjoy the taped shows, DVDs, Blu-Rays; listen to the music, wear the clothes and drive the cars if you derive enjoyment from those things.  Write fanfiction using the characters and themes from the show, if you enjoy that.  

A new cop show set in Miami could be great--but it wouldn't be, and could never be Miami Vice.  At least that's my thought. 

9 hours ago, sredd said:

Now this idea could work. This article is from 2015, updated with this new announcement. I think I posted it back in 2015. https://www.google.com/amp/s/consequenceofsound.net/2015/01/miami-vice-return-to-television/amp/

There were some fantastic ideas in there.  That would give me incentive to watch.  The article did a great job of utilizing the original cast while keeping it focused on the here-and-now.  I'd give it a shot.

• Like 2

vor 9 Stunden schrieb sredd:

That idea really sounds amazing. With a few caveats -

Why let Josh Holloway play Billy Crockett? Don Johnson's own son Jesse is almost exactly the same age as Billy Crockett would be. If ever there was a huge nod to old fans, casting Jesse Johnson as Billy would be it. Besides, Don and Jesse have appeared together in a TV series before, I forgot which one. They had great chemistry.

Also, let's not nitpick about race, because a show that is even remotely true to the original will offer a diverse mix of ethnicity either way. But I think you should let Tubbs's son play Billy Crockett's partner. Having a Rico Calderone who has inherited or rebuilt his father's empire would be a tad too obvious. It would be low-hanging fruit. Why not have a Rico Jr. who has spent his life trying to escape his father's legacy and trying to fight crime, but who is repeatedly drawn back into his family's web of corruption and drug crime? (think Robert Cann!) Maybe Angelina had another son after Rico. Maybe Rico's younger brother, Estebán Calderone Jr., is the main kingpin now. And Rico the vice cop would be up against his evil young brother. You would have many more interesting potential story threads that way.

• Like 2