'Miami Vice' Reboot From Vin Diesel in the Works at NBC

sredd

It´s funny...everytime i read something about this subject i dont know if i run, type faster, read faster or scream....lol

And for you who say nobody talked with Michael Mann.... After that Miami Vice movie? what for? Pure piece of garbage, sold in dvd combos box with another garbage movie, pay one and get two... 

I cant wait to say: "John Doe as Crockett? Oh No!"   "Jacko Doe as Tubbs?  Oh No!"  "Jane Doe as Gina?   Oh no!"

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mr. Calderon said:

WHAT ABOUT THE MAIN PART OF THE FRANCHISE: THE F*****N´ CAST!?!?

Well apart from the very civil argument provided above, I agree. What about the original cast? But thing is, you can't just reboot a show from 30 years ago and expect every character to come back in their original roles like that. But, you can bring back some of the original cast, like DJ and PMT, even Castillo, but either in new roles, or some sort of cameos. Sorry man...it's just a thing. Knight Rider is a perfect example of three solid failures, one of them being on NBC's hands.

I dont expect the original cast,  but better choices for the roles. Maybe cameos. And,  better plots/stories. MV can be a huge  hit in the 80s, but the plots (lookin back) were kinda flat, maybe all average tv series plots stories were in the same level those days.

Edited by Mr. Calderon

vor einer Stunde schrieb Mr. Calderon:

And for you who say nobody talked with Michael Mann.... After that Miami Vice movie? what for? Pure piece of garbage, sold in dvd combos box with another garbage movie, pay one and get two...

It's worth noting that while Michael Mann got the movie wrong, he didn't do so by a wide miss. It had the sleek looks, it had the "Vice" like cinematography and whatnot. Most of Michael Mann's signature elements were there. It was just that all the elements didn't gel together like they could have. Which was mainly due to poor storywriting and too many irreconcilable ideas that different people involved with the project had about what the finished movie should be like.

I think the movie's main problem was that Michael Mann didn't get through enough with his ideas. As I said on the last page of this thread, Jamie Foxx in particular became headstrong about his role in the project and caused many power struggles behind the scenes, from which the movie itself suffered.

But now with Vin Diesel on board for the reboot, you can very predictably see a show that will have very little to do with the greatness of Michael Mann during his best days on the original series. It will probably be all car and boat chases and gun fights and explosions, with paper thin plots.

Michael Mann needs to come back for this, and he needs to be listened to, if just as some sort of consultant, if the new producers want to make anything that will even remotely reconcile old fans. Most of us are still in the market-relevant age bracket for a reboot like this, so we should matter.

• Like 2

As someone stated time ago... (kill me if you wish), but "FASTLANE" was a Miami Vice upgraded for the 2000s...and i must say.... I LOVE IT! I dont expect less than this...

What do you guys think of it being a period show set in the 80s rather than it being modern day like Hawaii Five 0?

In my head it sounds like a good idea but I'm also getting flashbacks to that awful "Life on Mars" with Harvey Keitel that was set in the 70s and they had to make blatant references to the 70s every two seconds. "Hey did you see that movie, Serpico..? "Fk Yeah" or "That David Bowie is the man bro" etc. So a good period show and not that.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Vincent Hanna:

In my head it sounds like a good idea but I'm also getting flashbacks to that awful "Life on Mars" with Harvey Keitel that was set in the 70s and they had to make blatant references to the 70s every two seconds. "Hey did you see that movie, Serpico..? "Fk Yeah" or "That David Bowie is the man bro" etc. So a good period show and not that.

The British version of Life on Mars, on which the U.S. series was based, was really not bad at all. It received its share of praise, especially for being an accurate but subtle depiction of the 70s. In fact, there was a spinoff/continuation called Ashes to Ashes, set in the 80s, and it too was widely applauded. U.S. adaptations of British TV series indeed don't always turn out as well as The Office. But that's a topic for a thread all of its own.

I'm not sure how they would set a new Miami Vice in the 80s. You already had the original series taking place in the 80s, so in order for a new show to be set in the 80s, you would have to invent an alternate reality. I think that's kind of the worst way that this could all turn out. I believe it's called a "reimagining" nowadays. Like they did on the more recent Planet of the Apes movies, which have nothing in common with the narrative thread of the classic Planet of the Apes movies.

I say let the new Miami Vice take place in the present, but bring back the pastels and make it as faithful to the original series as possible. Get Michael Mann on board, get some of the old cast, and get Jan Hammer involved also. And listen to what people on a humble Miami Vice fan forum have to say about your new show... :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
4 hours ago, mvnyc said:

This has now been confirmed by NBC, so it's now a question of when, who will be cast for it and where will it be shot.  

And how bad and unfaithful it'll be. :p 

• Like 2

• Administrators
8 hours ago, mvnyc said:

There's talk that they are considering 13 weeks instead of 22 or 24, which would make sense given the current television landscape.  

Then should we expect it to be story driven rather than a new case every episode? Maybe a case over a whole season, might be a more realistic take on undercover police work, working up the ranks to set up the boss of an organisation. 

I know they might be able to write the script. My main concern is the directing style, the fashion, cars, and most importantly - Music.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, James said:

Then should we expect it to be story driven rather than a new case every episode? Maybe a case over a whole season, might be a more realistic take on undercover police work, working up the ranks to set up the boss of an organisation. 

I know they might be able to write the script. My main concern is the directing style, the fashion, cars, and most importantly - Music.

If it runs only 13 weeks, I would certainly think it would be story-driven.  Again, at this point, this is all hearsay... 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2017 at 9:32 AM, Assasinge said:

Well apart from the very civil argument provided above, I agree. What about the original cast? But thing is, you can't just reboot a show from 30 years ago and expect every character to come back in their original roles like that. But, you can bring back some of the original cast, like DJ and PMT, even Castillo, but either in new roles, or some sort of cameos. Sorry man...it's just a thing. Knight Rider is a perfect example of three solid failures, one of them being on NBC's hands.

I agree.  It would be crazy to bring back the originals who should be long retired from the job.  The shelf life of a vice cop is not terribly long.  I can see them MAYBE having other positions but to still be doing something in law enforcement in their 60's or later? No.

I think KR would work with Hasselhoff since he doesn't really need to do much more than drive.  KITT is the action star of the show.  They could even have a mini KITT HoverRound for him to use. 

Edited by IA-SteveB

Ok, here's the good news:

1.We get to see more Miami Vice.
2.Instead of just a movie we get to see an entire series reboot.
3.We get to hear more Miami Vice music.

And here's the bad news:

1.We get to see more Miami Vice.
2.Instad of just a movie we get to see an entire series reboot.
3.We get to hear more Miami Vice music.

LOL.

Am I correct in assuming that Vin Diesel will play Crockett?? Oh boy. Who's gonna play Tubbs? Rocky Maivia?? Hey, that might actually work. After all he was involved in the Baywatch movie remake so he has some beach experience and knows how to do them remakes. rofl. And how cool is this: instead of witty and slighty threatening ways of etracting information out of crooks we will now get smash em and bash em - no need for questioning! Boy, this is gonna be grand.

Seriously, there's an upside to it. A whole new generation will be introduced to the world of Miami Vice and that will undoubetely inlude the original series and music. And they will see how that was so much better! So the spirit will live on. :cheers:

• Administrators

I don't think Vin Diesel will play a part. He'd just be a producer.

I really cannot see Vin as Crockett

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, James said:

I really cannot see Vin as Crockett

I agree 100% on that! :) 

Really, could anyone be Crockett? Not for any of us, I don't think. 

Like I said before, I really hope the reboot brings a new audience to be more aware of how great the original is! :thumbsup:

I just hope the reboot leads to a Miami Vice cast reunion, it would be about time. :fireworks:

Apparently Vin Diesel has been doing some research down in Miami for the show.  

As much as I'm not for this reboot, because I expect it to fail, as interested I am to how it will be carried out.

He better do it right, for the Miami Vice fans! :p :)

Edited by summer84

Ya know...this could work if they can bring on DJ and PMT. Crockett could now be in Castillo's Place as the Lt and Tubbs could be in a similar role. Maybe heading another department. Or just as a friend and adviser of Crockett and the Vice Department. They would only need to do this for Season 1 actually just so that there's continuity and passing the torch so to speak. And with having the two orginal actors in it people will recognize and acknowledge it as Miami Vice. I'm sure some of the other original actors could have a few cameos as their original characters too. If they spread this out evenly this could make for excitement. LOL, imaginge Izzy 33 years later still running scams.

Do you guys think the original actors would be on board with something like this? If the money was right? For memory's sake? I can see DJ doing it if he was convinced that the new series is half way decent (and doesn't taunt the legacy). He may even see it as his responsibility? I hope Vin Diesel will reach out to him and the others instead of totally ignoring them. That would be extremely disrepectful.

Edited by Den Taylor

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, no new news noted. :) The latest articles were from 2nd and 3rd august. Nothing on YouTube either. Or the man himself.

Since it's still in the works and scheduled for 2018-2019, maybe it will be a while before, we hear anything new. 

Edited by summer84

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
7 hours ago, Assasinge said:

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/celebrity/vin-diesel-miami-vice-reboot/

Found this article. Unfortunately, it's from the National Enquirer, so I'd take it with a grain of salt, but it was written aug. 26 so thought I'd put it here anyway.

It redirects to another website, mate...