'Miami Vice' Reboot From Vin Diesel in the Works at NBC

sredd

I recently started rewatching Miami Vice just because and it’s really great knowing that a show like Miami Vice has replayability in that I can watch it over and over again and just feel good. No way that’s happening with this recrapboot.

21 hours ago, James said:

Yeah, it was supposed to be a spin-off which never went further. 

I personally enjoyed Leap of Faith, and probably would've watched the full series if it were a thing. 

I enjoyed that episode too and would have watched the spinoff it had have eventuated.

• Administrators
19 hours ago, Sea-light said:

Can't find the storyline of the reboot.. who will be tbe heroes? where to read? Pls

Nothing has come out yet. It's probably still in pre-production, the writing and designing stage and possibly beginning of casting stage but who knows. People are secretive on these sort of things, we usually don't know anything until they start filming. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, James said:

Nothing has come out yet. It's probably still in pre-production, the writing and designing stage and possibly beginning of casting stage but who knows. People are secretive on these sort of things, we usually don't know anything until they start filming. 

Relax pal, I wouldn't expect somethin' special to come out from behind the closets on this one. ;)

On 11/10/2017 at 2:44 PM, Assasinge said:

I recently started rewatching Miami Vice just because and it’s really great knowing that a show like Miami Vice has replayability in that I can watch it over and over again and just feel good. No way that’s happening with this recrapboot.

i restarted today...but i confess...always will be one episode that i lose my patience watching it...others i love it... Til now i rewatched the pilot (i love it) anda heart of darkness (i dont like). Another one i refuse to watch its Glades (maybe im crazy but reminds me Hogans Heroes lol) 

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Assasinge said:

Relax pal, I wouldn't expect somethin' special to come out from behind the closets on this one. ;)

I'm not expecting anything at all. It'll probably get scrapped. Maybe. Hopefully. Please God. :) 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Mr. Calderon said:

i restarted today...but i confess...always will be one episode that i lose my patience watching it...others i love it... Til now i rewatched the pilot (i love it) anda heart of darkness (i dont like). Another one i refuse to watch its Glades (maybe im crazy but reminds me Hogans Heroes lol) 

Lol yeah, I have to admit, I do skip some episodes that i don't care about and move onto the juicy ones. 

If truly done well its a great idea and could be a great success. However its far more likely it will be screwed up.

The first bad sign is that it is being considered as a prime time show for NBC. In order to be done right it needs to be an HBO show.

Also, if they attempt a true reboot where they attempt to recast the old characters like with Hawaii 5-0 it will never work under any circumstances. It should be a MV "Next Generation" concept as put forth in a earlier post in this thread with maybe Crocketts son teaming with Eddies son. Members of the original cast can show up from time to time as recurring guest stars. Maybe one of them can even be a regular as the Lieutenant (Gina, Trudy, Switek ?) 

I appreciate Vin Deisels fanboy enthusiasm in wanting to bring back a favorite show of his youth and I can identify with that, but it is an undertaking that is so hard to get right and so easy to get wrong.

Not holding my breath that it will be good, as ive said I don't think it can be done right as a prime time show. Has to be HBO/Showtime, so they've gotten off on the wrong foot out of the gate in this regard imo.

Have no choice but to wait & see.

Edited by Payback22
  • Like 1

• Administrators

There are some great ideas in this thread. I like the sound of Crockett's son, Eddie's son, and later on in the season or maybe at the beginning of season 2 they can meet Rico's son who's just a street cop under the name "Ricardo Calderone", and become a three-some. 

I think Gina would make the perfect Lieutenant. A woman with a powerful role would suit the 21st century and make the feminists happy. 

A little part of me has feelings and hopes that Vin Diesel visited this forum at least once, for ideas and such. To get more information on the original to help develop their reboot.

They should also give it the Synthwave vibe. Like Drive, or Kung Fury without the 80s pisstake. There hasn't been a Synthwave TV show yet to the best of my knowledge, so it could be new and amazing for that whole scene. And a lot of the Retro Synthwave scene are very much into Miami Vice, my generation re-popularised Miami Vice. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, James said:

hopes that Vin Diesel visited this forum at least once, for ideas and such. To get more information on the original to help develop their reboot.

Lol.

vor 10 Stunden schrieb James:

A little part of me has feelings and hopes that Vin Diesel visited this forum at least once, for ideas and such. To get more information on the original to help develop their reboot.

Stranger things have happened, but, erm, no. I don't think Vin Diesel is the kind of guy who would get his ideas from a humble web fan forum. I would guess that what's keeping him up at night isn't how to make old fans happy, but how to adapt Miami Vice to sell it to the Fast & Spurious generation.

Realistically though... why would he go on a web forum for research. If NBC is on board, they will probably give him access to a whole vault of original material for research from back in the day, which will eclipse anything we'll ever discuss on here.

Edited by Daytona74

The eddie´s son would be a great idea after 5 or 10 years after the show has ended. Not 30 years after. I bet the MV theme will be there, like in H-5.0, revamped. And the soapopera sequenced memories wouldnt happen too.  Hmmm...Sonny Crockett crippled in a wheelchair after this years after he got shot in action....Ok...DROP THE GUN AND DONT SHOOT AT ME!!!!  Well...so do you think Sonny would be running around holding a gun after 30 years? I think, no way jose....

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Mr. Calderon said:

The eddie´s son would be a great idea after 5 or 10 years after the show has ended. Not 30 years after. I bet the MV theme will be there, like in H-5.0, revamped. And the soapopera sequenced memories wouldnt happen too.  Hmmm...Sonny Crockett crippled in a wheelchair after this years after he got shot in action....Ok...DROP THE GUN AND DONT SHOOT AT ME!!!!  Well...so do you think Sonny would be running around holding a gun after 30 years? I think, no way jose....

Why not now? He'd be in his mid 30s being born in 1984. Perfect age IMO. 

Hmm this has me thinking of the 2006 MV reboot...everyone hated that right?

i saw it in theaters back in '06 & remember enjoying it but not enough to ever revisit.

its been 11 years should I? I've been getting back into the original series the first time since it aired - literally haven't seen it since 1989 & just started up again in 2017..should I avoid or rewatch the 2006 movie?

Edited by Boca Raton

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Boca Raton said:

i saw it in theaters back in '06 & remember enjoying it but not enough to ever revisit.

its been 11 years should I? I've been getting back into the original series the first time since it aired - literally haven't seen it since 1989 & just started up again in 2017..should I avoid or rewatch the 2006 movie?

I hated it because it wasn't Miami Vice. The style and music was wrong, the plot and scenes were boring. But to be fair they didn't really have the right music available in 2006. Linkin Park, really? 

It's not a bad movie on its own, if you ignore the "Miami Vice" part of it. I have watched it maybe 3 or 4 times. I think you should give it another chance. 

8 hours ago, Boca Raton said:

I didn't think much to the film first time I saw it, but it's grown on me with repeat viewings and now I really like it. It's nothing like the TV series but I really enjoy it as a different and very stylish take on the same subject matter. As you'd expect, Mann's cinematography and music choices are stellar throughout. It's not his best film, but it's far from his worst.

The Director's/Unrated Cut is definitely better than the theatrical release though. It also has a few more overt nods to the show.

Edited by Leigh Burne

9 hours ago, James said:

I hated it because it wasn't Miami Vice. The style and music was wrong, the plot and scenes were boring. But to be fair they didn't really have the right music available in 2006. Linkin Park, really? 

It's not a bad movie on its own, if you ignore the "Miami Vice" part of it. I have watched it maybe 3 or 4 times. I think you should give it another chance. 

I remember- & this is the only thing I remember about the movie - is that the music was good - it was what was popular at the time - electronica. I went right out afterwards and bought the soundtrack.

oh and Crockett enjoyed a mojito...

On 10/25/2017 at 1:06 AM, James said:

Ok I rewatched the 2006 movie just now... I liked it way better before. Now after rewatching the entire series I get why people dislike it.

i can't put my finger on where it went wrong right at this moment except for the fact that it made Miami ugly. Miami when you're there POPS - this Miami is Dark and shitty looking - Cuba looks great but not Miami in 2006?!

oh yeah and Castillo looks like a walking heart attack.

its like identical to that Tom Cruise movie Collateral- I liked that film but I'm literally rewatching it set in Miami.

oh yeah MV 2006 has no fun- where's the fun?

Edited by Boca Raton
  • Like 1

Am 25.10.2017 um 16:45 schrieb Boca Raton:

I remember- & this is the only thing I remember about the movie - is that the music was good - it was what was popular at the time - electronica. I went right out afterwards and bought the soundtrack.

I second that. Given the time, the music was quite good and pretty much the only thing I really enjoyed about the movie (though not every song). That tune by Manzanita (Arranca) is awesome.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/2/2017 at 11:15 PM, sredd said:

Now this idea could work. This article is from 2015, updated with this new announcement. I think I posted it back in 2015. https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/08/miami-vice-return-to-television/

Thanks for posting this!  Those guys really understand what a reboot should be.   :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

Was watching some entertainment show last night. Well, I was doing other things while the TV was on and the words Miami Vice reboot caught my ear. It looks like it's a reality. I for one can't honestly say I'm happy. I will check it out. If for no other reason than to see how much I hate it. I know that sounds very negative but I don't hold much faith when they try to re-create perfection. Just the fact that it will be based in the current day with modern music (yuck) tells me it won't appeal to the die hard Vice fans. I can't imagine Crockett and Tubbs driving to a Justin Bieber tune! Can you?!  There are some TV shows that should simply be remembered for what they were and left alone. Nuff said!

As an example I watched the reboot of the X-Files the past 2 seasons and had high hopes. Mostly because all the original people that worked on and starred in the series were back. But even that didn't sell it. It was cool to see Mulder and Scully back on TV but the episodes, when compared to the original seasons, just fell flat. Again, as I said, they should've let it be remembered for what it was.

• Like 1

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Was watching some entertainment show last night. Well, I was doing other things while the TV was on and the words Miami Vice reboot caught my ear. It looks like it's a reality. I for one can't honestly say I'm happy. I will check it out. If for no other reason than to see how much I hate it. I know that sounds very negative but I don't hold much faith when they try to re-create perfection. Just the fact that it will be based in the current day with modern music (yuck) tells me it won't appeal to the die hard Vice fans. I can't imagine Crockett and Tubbs driving to a Justin Bieber tune! Can you?!  There are some TV shows that should simply be remembered for what they were and left alone. Nuff said!

As an example I watched the reboot of the X-Files the past 2 seasons and had high hopes. Mostly because all the original people that worked on and starred in the series were back. But even that didn't sell it. It was cool to see Mulder and Scully back on TV but the episodes, when compared to the original seasons, just fell flat. Again, as I said, they should've let it be remembered for what it was.

Well yeah, there is a chance that it COULD be a cool show. I too will give it a chance to see if they done it in an acceptable fashion. 

As far as reboots go, the MacGyver reboot is pretty cool. Yeah, it has nothing to do with the original and is completely different, but it's actually a decent show. So I'd give it a chance to fail, or succeed. It could surprise us.