'Miami Vice' Reboot From Vin Diesel in the Works at NBC

sredd

I was hoping DJ and PMT would be involved but if that's not the case, then I'm afraid I won't be too hopeful either.  I couldn't stand the movie and this sounds like it could be worse.  :(

• Like 2

No matter what the plan or format, doesn't even matter who's in it, I hope this doesn't happen. MV in all it's greatness should be left as it is/was. 

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Icemanmike said:

No matter what the plan or format, doesn't even matter who's in it, I hope this doesn't happen. MV in all it's greatness should be left as it is/was. 

Agreed 100%!     I think what scares me the most is Vin Diesel being involved!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

I think what scares me the most is Vin Diesel being involved!

Agreed!

Aside from the fact he’s probably a nice person that I could easily get along with, virtually everything in his career is exactly the opposite of what I enjoy entertainment-wise. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Icemanmike said:

I feel the same way about Mark Wahlberg thinking he can play replace the hairy-chested 70s machismo of Lee Majors with a remake of sci-fi classic The Six Million Dollar Man.  It will end up as just another forgettable exercise in cartoonish CGI and melodramatic acting.  Hollywood needs to step away from the concept of brainless remakes and "reimaginings" and come up with some more original ideas.

My biggest misgiving regarding the Vice reboot is the fact that the Lethal Weapon and Training Day TV series - both made recently and based on classic, stylish films I absolutely love - wound up being utterly generic, bland crap with no fizz or distinctive style of their own whatsoever. Nothing about them was even remotely memorable or special beyond the name, and given what they came from that's unforgivable. Both also attempted to throw in lots of music a la Vice, but the execution was completely flat and the songs never managed to make any kind of impression. Christ, since seeing Vice, I can literally never listen to some of those tracks again without immediately picturing the scenes from the show in which they appeared; even in instances where I already knew and loved the songs they used in Lethal Weapon and Training Day, I still can't recall what was going on when they were used because they were never anything more than background noise playing over generic stock shots of LA.

I would be very surprised if Miami Vice 2.0 doesn't wind up being the same.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WizardOfOz said:

I feel the same way about Mark Wahlberg thinking he can play replace the hairy-chested 70s machismo of Lee Majors with a remake of sci-fi classic The Six Million Dollar Man.  It will end up as just another forgettable exercise in cartoonish CGI and melodramatic acting.  

I just heard about this and I agree. Couldn't stand Marky Mark in Transformers or in Lone Survivor, as I see him as a marginal actor with a criminal and hip hop past. And I can't see him cast as a Lee Majors wannabe, for those who remember Majors from Fall Guy and 6 $Mil Man.  Marky's Transformers performance was just way over the top to me, and melodramatic as you say. 

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

I have mixed feelings on the idea. 

I was extremely happy when Michael Mann made a Miami Vice movie, even if the movie didn't live up to the series. I was happy that someone made an honest attempt at Miami Vice and not a parody/comedy that basically made fun of the source material (see 21 Jump Street, Starsky & Hutch). It seemed like Hollywood was going back to the great shows of decades before and ridiculing them. Vice--due to its pop culture influence and style--is a property that is ripe for such treatment.

If this reboot is a serious attempt to capture storytelling at the core of Vice, then I'm willing to approach it with an open mind if for no other reason than knowing that it would remain protected from becoming a comedy/target of ridicule. The only thing worse than a Miami Vice revival that fails to live up to the standards of the original would be a revival that purposely undercuts the original series. Mann's 2006 film has basically been forgotten and did no damage to the series. A stupid comedy buddy film full of slapstick humor and a juvenile story line that holds the vice style up for jokes could turn our beloved series into something that is never taken seriously again.

36 minutes ago, Leigh Burne said:

My biggest misgiving regarding the Vice reboot is the fact that the Lethal Weapon and Training Day TV series - both made recently and based on classic, stylish films I absolutely love - wound up being utterly generic, bland crap with no fizz or distinctive style of their own whatsoever. Nothing about them was even remotely memorable or special beyond the name, and given what they came from that's unforgivable. Both also attempted to throw in lots of music a la Vice, but the execution was completely flat and the songs never managed to make any kind of impression. Christ, since seeing Vice, I can literally never listen to some of those tracks again without immediately picturing the scenes from the show in which they appeared; even in instances where I already knew and loved the songs they used in Lethal Weapon and Training Day, I still can't recall what was going on when they were used because they were never anything more than background noise playing over generic stock shots of LA.

I would be very surprised if Miami Vice 2.0 doesn't wind up being the same.

Well said though i have only seen the Lethal Weapon series. It really is nothing like the film version and though it does have some humor and elements of the buddy cop chemistry between the characters, it is nothing like that between Gibson and Glover. It is watchable really only as a mediocre made for tv cop series that does not bring me back week after week as Vice once did. Heck even the generally lighthearted Magnum PI series had more chemistry and interesting plotlines than the new Lethal Weapon, and I heard that was also in the works for a remake. As to Diesel I really can't stand anything he's been in, and my biggest concern is that he will turn a once great series in Vice into something akin to Fast and Furious, an endless actioner with little in the way of  chemistry or developed plotlines. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I just watched this YouTube video by WatchMojo and while I was watching it, I was thinking/hoping the Miami Vice Reboot/Revival should've/would've have definitely been included. Also definitely the Lethal Weapon TV show, even though it's not based on a TV Show.

Edited by Retro80sfan

• 5 weeks later...

I've been thinking a lot about this, and I'm getting a little more optimistic about it.

I still think it'll most likely be rubbish, but there's at least a slim change it might be surprisingly decent, which is better than no chance at all.

But more than anything, whether it's good or bad, it won't do anything to affect how great the original series is, and a reboot being on TV can only be good news as far as potential new releases relating to the original goes. If ever we're going to get more soundtracks or other stuff from the 80s show, surely a reboot being on TV can only serve as a big impetus for that. That alone has made me suddenly quite excited to see what comes of this.

• 5 months later...

Don Johnson shares his thoughts here.

I kind of feel they’ll do a version of Miami Vice, but it’s not going to be Miami Vice. Because the show was very specific to a time and place, and a social and cultural happening, at that time. It was in the press every day —  these reports about drug deals and drugs coming through Miami in the thousands of pounds, and stuff like that, and I think that really fuelled the interest, made it all mainstream. And that’s not the case now. And fashion, of course, whereas we put a spotlight on men’s fashion, and women’s, now fashion is in your face everywhere. So, you kind of don’t want to go into something trying to reinvent the wheel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you wanna do it the right way, you have to set trends. Invent new things, inspired of what made the original special. Otherwise you'll end up either as a bad copy, or a random action show. No matter whether Diesel is capable of something groundbreaking or not, I haven't read any news about this reboot project for a long time. Was there any progress lately? 

Just spotted this in the Miami Vice Forever-group on Facebook. I'm too fckn incompetent to share it, so I took a Screenshot of the commercial video. Apparently from NBC

Screenshot_20181123-155235.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators
6 hours ago, summer84 said:

Here it is from YT. 

Miami Heat tribute teaser:

And apparently MV is returning 2020?

A teaser for Miami Heat's 80s inspired "VICE Nights" range. 

Some cool stuff. https://www.themiamiheatstore.com/collections/vice-nights?page=2

You know... If the shots are directed like in this video, and has a decent soundtrack. The reboot might be okay. 

Wow - very cool Miami Vice tribute and video 

The new Miami Vice 2020 reboot with Vin Diesel producing and the NBC logo was a nice touch. Very cool new sounds on the “In the Air Tonight”.

Edited by Matt5

so, the reboot is a reality. well i wish Vin Diesel and his team good luck then. i just wish they'll be a bit more perspicacious, and not choose an horrible car for their trailer. the Countach is pure cr.. and should have stayed on a blueprint IMO lol

25 minutes ago, jpm1 said:

so, the reboot is a reality. well i wish Vin Diesel and his team good luck then. i just wish they'll be a bit more perspicacious, and not choose an horrible car for their trailer. the Countach is pure cr.. and should have stayed on a blueprint IMO lol

Whether you like it or not, you can't deny it's one of the single most iconic cars of the 80s. It's absolutely appropriate for something Vice.

• Like 2

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, jpm1 said:

Remember that this is a Miami Heat video. The idea behind it was to probably get whatever black 80s sports car they can find for the tribute. And I agree with Leigh on this one, the Countach is one of the most iconic supercars EVER. And they're great! 

Vin Diesel's will have a new Ferrari, that I am sure of. Vin is a car guy. Maybe either a 812 Superfast or the new "Portofino" if the budget allows for a brand new car.

Pick one... 

812Superfast.jpg

812superfast2.jpg

portofino.jpgportofino2.jpg

• Like 2

The Countach is without a doubt Vice-Style! A white one even took part in the original show. The question is if the reboot's story will be in the present time. Or if they gonna redesign a whole decade like producer's did in "The Deuce". 

i think you didn't get my point. the question is not much about jpm1 likings. the question is if the car is fabulous (i canno't deny) on a design level, it's absolute garbage on a performance/road behavior. have a look at James May (top gear) test. the car is so fantastic on a design level than everybody gets hypnotized by that, and doesn't see the reality anymore

https://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/lamborghini-countach-the-worlds-best-terrible-car.html/

22 hours ago, jpm1 said:

i think you didn't get my point. the question is not much about jpm1 likings. the question is if the car is fabulous (i canno't deny) on a design level, it's absolute garbage on a performance/road behavior.

The Testarossa was a terrible car too ;)

• Sad 1

this is not the image it gives when it goes high speed in MV in Miami streets. it shows great acceleration, great suspensions, and great road behavior. check the episodes when it's chased by a muscle car, and when they are chased by the cops while exiting the airport. but actually i don't think that in a reboot the car is actually an essential thing. i think the most important will be the characters deepness. thus any car that fits with the guy(s) personnality will do it. this is how i see the thing. the 80s were an 'appearing' era. things are not like that anymore

Edited by jpm1