You Had To Be There

Dadrian

I think the Mangusta was just about the coolest performance sports car of the entire 1960s.

A timeless design that brings together the very best of 1960s Italian style, coupled with an old school Ford 289 V8 engine that turned the car into a wild beast. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

How can you not get a funny feeling in your stomach when you see something like THIS pulling around a corner:

:happy:

If it hadn't been for the Daytona, then this would have been a proper alternative for Crockett and Tubbs...

Back to "you had to be there"...

The near-complete absence of computer technology or the Internet. With access to police databases only becoming a very gradual thing as the series progressed...

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 2

@jenny reminded me of a good one in another thread. 

While being approached by the robbers in the pilot teaser, Tubbs points his shotgun at them and says, "Beat it, punks". This is an obvious tip of the cap to the Michael Jackson song that was part of an album taking over the world at that time (Thriller). 

The punk pulls a knife, and says "I'm gonna cut you good, sucker." The music video for "Beat It" climaxes in a knife battle between two street gang members. Things like this set the pace for MV being relevant to then current pop culture. 

Useless trivia: On "Beat It", Eddie Van Halen played that guitar solo for no pay!

Edited by Dadrian

"This is the 80s, Phil. Everyone takes drugs."

If you were to make a 30 second trailer for the whole series, that quote right there would explain half of the entire show... :)

Edited by Daytona74
  • Haha 1

To me Vote of Confidence, wherein the candidate for Governor is caught up in a scandal involving prostitutes, was another where art imitates life. The Gary Hart presidential candidate scandal  happened in early 1987, and his candidacy was cut short when his affair with Donna Rice was revealed. I believe this episode was filmed later that same year. Donna Rice with Hart....

blogger-image--1069084645.jpg

• Like 2

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Vicefan7777:

Here is my contribution to this topic.  Shoulder pads for women. Mullets for men. 

although Don was rocking some serious shoulder pads repeatedly in season 3 :)

I watched "Heart of Darkness" 2-3 days ago and was wondering about that, didn't know Crockett and Tubbs singing "da da dum dum" was a reference to 1950's crime show Dragnet either. I also took note of some other references. 

Edited by summer84

On 8/6/2017 at 6:06 AM, Daytona74 said:

Speaking of technology, I wonder what the inside of the bug van would look like today... :) You could probably do all the things that the equipment in it was capable of with one or two laptops today... so when the new Miami Vice series gets made, it will definitely be interesting how they are going to portray a modern-day bug van.

Also, in "Cool Runnin'", where Zito tries to insert a VHS tape into a recorder and it jams...  you had to be a kid in the 80s to fully appreciate that scene... :p

There is an entire generation of young people now who have never seen, nor operated a VHS cassette recorder.

kids have NO idea how good they have it these days...THIS was OUR technology!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, summer84 said:

I watched "Heart of Darkness" 2-3 days ago and was wondering about that, didn't know Crockett and Tubbs singing "da da dum dum" was a reference to 1950's crime show Dragnet either. I also took note of some other references. 

lol, yes I forgot about that one. Crockett also refers to someone as "Mr Phelps" which is a reference to the earlier Mission Impossible series.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Woops, I accidentally deleted my comment. :( 

Here's what I posted - Not really 80s releated, but...

In Heart of Darkness, as the feds walk into OCB, Crockett hums "dum da-dum dum", and later on at the marina Tubbs does it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, James said:

In Heart of Darkness, as the feds walk into OCB, Crockett hums "dum da-dum dum", and later on at the marina Tubbs does it.

My post was a comment to your post, but then I saw it was deleted...

Edited by summer84

1 hour ago, summer84 said:

You're not alone Summer, I didn't know until James sent me that theme :)

3 hours ago, Detective_Crockett said:

You're not alone Summer, I didn't know until James sent me that theme :)

Yeah, I'm glad I know now, cause I'm not sure, I could have found that reference of the singing/humming myself by searching "dum da dum dum." :)

Edited by summer84

In "Heart of Darkness" episode when Tubbs refers to the Federal agents as "The Untouchables," I looked it up and there was a crime show by the same name from 1959. Also the first piece of music playing from Tubb's wire in the limo scene sounds familiar. May have heard it in a commercial. That was really comical. :D

Edited by summer84

vor 6 Stunden schrieb James:

And it all comes full circle in its own weird way when you consider that Ed O'Neill starred in the 2003/2004 remake series of Dragnet:

la-dragnet.jpg

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

And it all comes full circle in its own weird way when you consider that Ed O'Neill starred in the 2003/2004 remake series of Dragnet:

la-dragnet.jpg

DUM DA DUM DUM!! :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

la-dragnet.jpg

Wow, I didn't realise this. :) That's helluva coincidence, or fate?

• Haha 1

• Administrators
15 hours ago, summer84 said:

Yeah, accidentally pressed the darn delete button. Stupid touchscreens. :) 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, James said:

Yeah, accidentally pressed the darn delete button. Stupid touchscreens. :) 

Ah okay. Old phones were more easier to handle. I'd say. :)

8 hours ago, James said:

Wow, I didn't realise this. :) That's helluva coincidence, or fate?

What if Artie Rollins faked his death and ran away with his wife to Chicago and changed his name and they had kids together, oh yeah and he changed his name

To....

Al Bundy :):):)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Detective_Crockett:

What if Artie Rollins faked his death and ran away with his wife to Chicago and changed his name and they had kids together, oh yeah and he changed his name

To....

Al Bundy :):):)

yeah but things really would have had to go pear shaped for him in Chicago... otherwise, he wouldn't have become such an epitome of middle-age resignation... :)

Or maybe THIS is what actually happened to him after moving to Chicago... seems more along the lines of Artie:

:p

• Haha 2

Am 6.8.2017 um 05:58 schrieb Sonny-Burnett:

"Ears, Sandanista ears."  from Stone's War. which referenced the Nicaraguan conflict between the Contras and the Sandanistas, and Maynard's attempts to illegally fund the Contras. It was current news in the mid 80s.

And in Amen.. Send Money, Rev Bill Bob Proverb to me is a parody of Jim Bakker, the infamous televangelist who founded and built the PTL club, (Praise the Lord) by bilking his flock out of $Millions in the mid 80s and was later prosecuted. His wife Tammy Faye also was a bit similar to Proverb's strange wife.

There is also a nod to Rev Earnest Angely  in the closing TV scene in Phil the Shill who infamously used to profess to be a healer and was outed as a scammer. Remember Phil's  "Devil get out!"  And this guy is still on late night  tv scamming people ( "Heal Me"), but under a different name, Peter Popoff.

As a side note Phil Collins poked fun at these televangelist wackos in one of his more humorous music videos "Jesus He Knows Me"...don't miss the pool scene.

Ok, this of off-topic (but looks like we already strayed anyway, right :D): What is uncensored about this version? That's the one I know from back in the days here in Germany - as it was played on MTV Europe. Were the Americans actually not seeing the pool scene? It's not really that big of a deal....I mean it's not like you can see nipples or anything. ?( Love the song though and probably one of the best videos ever made.

On-Topic: I don't remember which episode but I belive it was Season 4 or 5. Izzy is running his latest scams, this time selling esoteric new age stuff to gullible girls. Crockett and Tubbs spoil the party and the girl at the end exclaims "Hey, what about my channel?" (as in channeling) and Tubbs responds "Get a cable subscription" (or something like that). Anyway I assume that this was poking fun at the new age scene that was becoming quite a fad in the 80s. Maybe even on Philip Michael Thomas himself who was into that kinda stuff? Didn't he actually run a new age channel later in life? The irony...
(It should be pointed out though that the new age scene wasn't a thing of the 80s, it actually started in the 60s/70s....but ever so often it hasd/has its booming periods. And personally I don't think it's complete BS, I'm quite spiritual myself. It's just that there are indeed a lot of scammers and deceivers in that scene...)

Edited by Den Taylor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Den Taylor said:

Ok, this of off-topic (but looks like we already strayed anyway, right :D): What is uncensored about this version? That's the one I know from back in the days here in Germany - as it was played on MTV Europe. Were the Americans actually not seeing the pool scene? It's not really that big of a deal....I mean it's not like you can see nipples or anything. ?( Love the song though and probably one of the best videos ever made.

From a poster on Youtube: "The obvious difference between this and the sanitised one on Genesis' VEVO channel is the presence of Phil's "preaching", but I see that the photographs in the second verse are more scandalous as well.  Is there additional footage of the girls by the pool as well?"  US censoring is more conservative than that of Europe, at least from what I recall, and the scantily clad girl barbequing may have been pushing the limits of US censors. But who knows...