You Had To Be There

Dadrian

Am 13.8.2017 um 20:29 schrieb summer84:

Also the first piece of music playing from Tubb's wire in the limo scene sounds familiar. May have heard it in a commercial. That was really comical. :D

I noticed that too the other day, watching the episode again.

But I think it's a Jan Hammer piece, one which was reused in the establishing shot of the Ocean Club hit scene in Out Where the Buses Don't Run.

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Sonny-Burnett:

From a poster on Youtube: "The obvious difference between this and the sanitised one on Genesis' VEVO channel is the presence of Phil's "preaching", but I see that the photographs in the second verse are more scandalous as well.  Is there additional footage of the girls by the pool as well?"  US censoring is more conservative than that of Europe, at least from what I recall, and the scantily clad girl barbequing may have been pushing the limits of US censors. But who knows...

Then again, by the early 1990s, you had videos by David Lee Roth and Aerosmith which were much more provocative (just think of the Alicia Silverstone music videos).

I think it was really more about the "preaching" scenes. You had certain elements of the televangelist spectrum in the U.S., probably back then more so than today, who were pretty easy to offend and who could have kicked up quite a shitstorm, as it would be called today :p

Other bands had to adjust their music videos to the American palate as well, and some even chose not to release certain singles in the U.S. at all. For example, the Eurythmics didn't release "Sexcrime (Nineteen Eighty Four)" for a long time in the U.S.. And "King and Queen of America" also never officially came out on the American market (watch the video and you will know why).

• Thanks 1

Am 13.8.2017 um 13:50 schrieb jenny:

kids have NO idea how good they have it these days...THIS was OUR technology!

I think the most convincing advantage of digital media storage compared to analog VHS tapes is that digital media doesn't wear.

I remember back in the day, I used to tape Miami Vice episodes off the TV and then watch them to death over and over. We had an upmarket VHS recorder and I was lucky enough to be able to afford good quality tapes from my allowance, but after about six or seven times, you could still see the first signs of wear in the picture.

So having the entire series all on DVD now and being able to watch it a million times without any wear is really THE killer argument in favor of digital media for me... :thumbsup:

(I've still got two old VHS recorders on the bottom of my TV rack though... not sure why, as I never really use them... but something in me refuses to throw out two perfectly good and working pieces of equipment just because technology has moved on... :p)

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

I think the most convincing advantage of digital media storage compared to analog VHS tapes is that digital media doesn't wear.

I remember back in the day, I used to tape Miami Vice episodes off the TV and then watch them to death over and over. We had an upmarket VHS recorder and I was lucky enough to be able to afford good quality tapes from my allowance, but after about six or seven times, you could still see the first signs of wear in the picture.

So having the entire series all on DVD now and being able to watch it a million times without any wear is really THE killer argument in favor of digital media for me... :thumbsup:

(I've still got two old VHS recorders on the bottom of my TV rack though... not sure why, as I never really use them... but something in me refuses to throw out two perfectly good and working pieces of equipment just because technology has moved on... :p)

my first VHS tapes I got was a Christmas gift my mom got me..New Jack City and Sleeping With the Enemy..  Why they thought those would be good movies for a 10 year old,  I will never know!  But I wasn't complaining though! :D

Yeah... New Jack City in particular wasn't what you normally would have bought for a 10-year-old... :)

I think the first video tape that I actually bought was the VHS version of the Dire Straits album "Brothers in Arms", with all the video clips on it. I didn't buy that many cassettes, I taped most of my movies in my collection off the TV... and I had a few friends who made copies of their tapes for me.

That's another thing I love about digital media - that you don't have to worry about quality loss between copy generations anymore... the tapes I got from my friends were often lousy quality. :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

I think the first VHS movie I rented as a kid was Enter the Dragon with Bruce Lee.  I was probably 11.  I remember my parents rented the VCR for a sleepover I was having for friends and it was an absolutely huge top loader.  I thought it was the coolest thing ever.  We probably didn't buy one for another year or so.  I can still picture the electronics store we went to when purchasing our first VCR.  They had absolutely huge 19" tube tvs. :)

It's hard to imagine what my 12 year old son will be able to tell his kids. "Back when I was a kid I used to have to watch Netflix in bed on my 5.7" phone!"

Edited by IA-SteveB

2 minutes ago, IA-SteveB said:

I think the first VHS movie I rented as a kid was Enter the Dragon with Bruce Lee.  I was probably 11.  I remember my parents rented the VCR for a sleepover I was having for friends and it was an absolutely huge top loader.  I thought it was the coolest thing ever.  We probably didn't buy one for another year or so.  I can still picture the electronics store we went to when purchasing our first VCR with absolutely huge 19" tube tvs. :)

It's hard to imagine what my 12 year old son will be able to tell his kids. "Back when I was a kid I used to have to watch Netflix in bed on my 5.7" phone!"

RIGHT!   OR MY APPLE COMPUTER!   

vor einer Stunde schrieb IA-SteveB:

I remember my parents rented the VCR for a sleepover I was having for friends and it was an absolutely huge top loader. 

We still had one or two surviving top loader VCRs at my school all the way into the early 90s... :)

Also, my middle school had a video camera circa 1985 that consisted of a separate camera and tape recorder unit. The recorder unit used full-format VHS, as VHS-C was only a very recent thing back then.  Both were very bulky and heavy (I was allowed to handle them once at a school function, under close supervision), and the picture quality was horrible by modern standards.  And even the most ordinary, budget smartphone today can probably do ten times more than that kind of equipment... :p

So again, if you grew up with all that old, bulky, low-quality analog technology, then you can't help feeling dumbstruck now and then by how far we have come in the last 30 to 35 years.

Or as the science fiction author Arthur C. Clarke once said -

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." :):)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

I noticed that too the other day, watching the episode again.

But I think it's a Jan Hammer piece, one which was reused in the establishing shot of the Ocean Club hit scene in Out Where the Buses Don't Run.

You're right, it is! So that was actually an early short introduction to the Ocean Club instrumental piece, which by the way also was used in "Milk Run."

No wonder, I felt it sounded familiar. :)   Thanks! 

15 minutes ago, summer84 said:

You're right, it is! So that was actually an early short introduction to the Ocean Club instrumental piece, which by the way also was used in "Milk Run."

No wonder, I felt it sounded familiar. :)   Thanks! 

I also noticed this after reading this thread! A bit like how "Payback" was introduced in Little Prince before featuring more heavily in Season 2s Payback itself.:hippie:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

@Matt5 @summer84 @Daytona74 @AzVice

Did anyone mention we first heard that cue when Tubbs' wire goes hay wire ( :) ) in "Heart of Darkness"? I missed to much here. 

Yes a few posts up. :) The 2nd post on this page. I was wondering about the instrumental music piece playing from Tubbs wire, cause it sounded familiar and Daytona74 said it was from "OWTBDR."  How they came up with that, having music playing all of a sudden from the wire, which will end up revealing Crockett and Tubbs identity, really imaginative and comical. Then Tubbs says to the tech guy - "you reinvented the radio last night, didn't you." :D  

Edited by summer84

30 minutes ago, summer84 said:

Yes a few posts up. :) The 2nd post on this page. I was wondering about the instrumental music piece playing from Tubbs wire, cause it sounded familiar and Daytona74 said it was from "OWTBDR."  How they came up with that, having music playing all of a sudden from the wire, which will end up revealing Crockett and Tubbs identity, really imaginative and comical. Then Tubbs says to the tech guy - "you reinvented the radio last night, didn't you." :D  

I also see it thankyou - I just read all this thread this Today :hippie:

Did anybody else ever think that Ample Annie, Noogie's girlfriend and then wife, got her cues from Madonna? You kind of get a really big "Madonna during her Like a Virgin/Material Girl phase" vibe from her...

well yeah... 

I remember even twelve year old girls at my school in 1985 all wanted to be Madonna and dress like her... which must have given their parents nightmares... :p

I just think Ample Annie was probably an intentional nod to Madonna...

• Like 1

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

well yeah... 

I remember even twelve year old girls at my school in 1985 all wanted to be Madonna and dress like her... which must have given their parents nightmares... :p

I just think Ample Annie was probably an intentional nod to Madonna...

We are the same age and the 12 year old girls at my school did the same thing.  I also recall a lot of the boys wearing the red vinyl Michael Jackson suits.  :)

17 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

Yes good point about digital media and now of course the blu rays - I'm the same I have a collection of MV on videotape but I won't throw them away ! Even though I watch the show on blu ray now :hippie:

• 1 year later...

I don’t think anybody mentioned this one yet:

At the beginning of “Everybody’s in Showbiz”, Tubbs whistles the first phrase of The Star-Spangled Banner when the bust goes awry. 

Kids, back in the old days, network TV would just stop airing around midnight or so. Right before everything suddenly went to snow and fuzz, the network would play a short, patriotic video with an instrumental version of our National Anthem. That meant “it’s all over, nothing more to see, go to bed”—which is exactly what Tubbs was saying here. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

You not only had to be there.  

You needed...

Commitment.

You made sure you had your sh!t together when it aired in REAL TIME or you missed it.  

TV Guide.  The local newspaper.  But we all KNEW when it was ON.

No Hulu.  No YouTube.  No “internet.”   Okay maybe a proto-chrysalis BBS you could log into on your Dad’s Commodore 128 by Season 4, but...  You get the point. 

If you did miss it then it was hounding friends to see if they recorded THAT episode on VHS, and hoping that they recorded it in SP.   (SP, LP, and EP.  Remember those settings?)   

Commitment.

Driving your a$$ to the MALL to actually walk your sad self around for an hour or more to the various stores to find THAT Henley.   THAT white or pastel Linen blazer.  Those espadrilles.   No Amazon.  No EBay.  No Etsy.    You rode the old “shoe-leather express” (or rubber and jute if you already had the espadrilles) until you found your particular “Holy Grail” bit of style that allowed you, at least for the moment, to live the Show.

As in driving your POS ‘64 Ford Falcon Sprint Hardtop to the Nordstrom in the near-by Big City to buy a real Hugo Boss white Linen suit with all the money you made bussing tables over the summer before your Senior year in high school so you could wear it to a “Dance on the Bay” with a date/girl that wasn’t your regular steady...

And carrying one of those “EnterTech” battery-powered squirtguns that looked like a real Tec-9 or Mini-Uzi under your coat, and discovering on the gangway that you were not the only one...   (Good thing Hugo Boss linen could take more than a little stale tap-water traveling at 100fps...)

Commitment.

Doing your damndest to get “that hair” with some Dep and a haircut from Precision 6.  (As in 6$ for a haircut.  Plus tip.)   If you were lucky there was a “hairstylist” in the placed that looked like a young Castillo who dressed like Izzy.  (Like the one in my town.)   You knew you were going to leave the best “feathered bi-level” $7.50 could buy.

Commitment.

Working on the weekends to make sure you could buy THOSE cassettes with the tunes you heard in THAT Episode.  To play on your Kenwood KRC-2001 “High Power Cassette Receiver” auto-reverse tape deck through some Pioneer 6x9 3-ways you cut and mounted yourself into the rear deck of said POS ‘64 Ford Falcon Sprint.  (Wimbledon white with blue bucket seat interior, 260 V8 and factory tach in the center/top of the dash...  Yeah it had a serious exhaust leak at the driver-side manifold.  And the carburetor would shoot flames on a cold start.  And it used a quart of tranny fluid every 4-5 days.   Didn’t really matter since you couldn’t hear any of that over the sweet sounds of Jan Hammer and Glen Frey blasting from those 6x9’s...)

Yeah.  You had to be there.   

Thank GOD some of us were.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...