If you could time travel to Miami in 1984/5 What's the first thing you would do?

Detective_Crockett

A fun topic..  say one day a Delorean shows up outside your front porch..so hypothetically if you could go back to Miami during peak time, what's the first thing you would do? 

What piece of advice would you give the cast and crew? 

Which Crockett clothing would you steal whilst DJ is asleep in his Star Island complex? (Don't go getting any ideas ladies ;)

Other than stalk the Vice team, would you simply live the lifestyle you've always wanted whilst peak time is happening?

What would you say to Jan Hammer?

Please do feel free to add to these questions, I can't think of anything else right now xD 

well except the series itself, you don't need a Delorean to catch 80s Florida vibe. i mean you can still wear a pink fluo T-shirt there without having people turning themselves onto you like if you were the pope. this is what is magic with that era. all that era fashion seems to renew itself endlessly. what i would do, yeah James suggestion is definitely a good one. but i think (this is what i plan right now in fact x)) i'd add a powerboat rental and a cruise to the Bahamas departing in early morning. i'd stay the day there. i'll try to see the swimming hogs as well as Norman's cay island. will eventually do a bit of diving near the planes wrecks there. then according to the time i put for going, i'd come back in time to reach Miami with the sunset. eventually a cocktail in a neon bar somewhere, before going to bed. all this is only a plan so far. i need to see if all this can be done technically :)

• Like 1

• Administrators
14 hours ago, jpm1 said:

well except the series itself, you don't need a Delorean to catch 80s Florida vibe. i mean you can still wear a pink fluo T-shirt there without having people turning themselves onto you like if you were the pope. this is what is magic with that era. all that era fashion seems to renew itself endlessly. what i would do, yeah James suggestion is definitely a good one. but i think (this is what i plan right now in fact x)) i'd add a powerboat rental and a cruise to the Bahamas departing in early morning. i'd stay the day there. i'll try to see the swimming hogs as well as Norman's cay island. will eventually do a bit of diving near the planes wrecks there. then according to the time i put for going, i'd come back in time to reach Miami with the sunset. eventually a cocktail in a neon bar somewhere, before going to bed. all this is only a plan so far. i need to see if all this can be done technically :)

How about - Reach Miami with the sunset, then catch that weeks brand new episode of Miami Vice, then end with a cocktail in a neon bar and bed. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Am 11.8.2017 um 13:38 schrieb Detective_Crockett:

Obviously, I would plead with Michael Mann not to hire Dick Wolf as his successor, but to find somebody who was going to continue the show in the same kind of vein. And I would tell them to stick with the pastels and the upbeat chart music. Oh, and they should have given Switek and Zito more to do.

Which Crockett clothing would you steal whilst DJ is asleep in his Star Island complex? (Don't go getting any ideas ladies ;) )

Probably really more a question for the girls here, but I wouldn't mind borrowing one or two of his Armani jackets from the show. I'm a bit taller than Don Johnson but otherwise I have about the same frame, so they'd actually fit me. And I would try to make sure he doesn't wake up,  because Don seems like the kind of guy who would have reenacted the "This here's a flare gun, sucker!" scene from the pilot on you :)

Other than stalk the Vice team, would you simply live the lifestyle you've always wanted whilst peak time is happening?

Yeah, absolutely. What's not to love about that idea.

Hang in there. Your schedule may be grueling, but don't leave the show. And release more of your scores on albums!!

Edited by Daytona74

if i'm in the 80s somewhere with DJ sleeping nearby, i'd steal his car keys for sure, and if i can't, i'd try to find the scarab keys. then no way you see me again :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daytona74 said:

Obviously, I would plead with Michael Mann not to hire Dick Wolf as his successor, but to find somebody who was going to continue the show in the same kind of vein. And I would tell them to stick with the pastels and the upbeat chart music. Oh, and they should have given Switek and Zito more to do.

Probably really more a question for the girls here, but I wouldn't mind borrowing one or two of his Armani jackets from the show. I'm a bit taller than Don Johnson but otherwise I have about the same frame, so they'd actually fit me. And I would try to make sure he doesn't wake up,  because Don seems like the kind of guy who would have reenacted the "This here's a flare gun, sucker!" scene from the pilot on you :)

Yeah, absolutely. What's not to love about that idea.

Hang in there. Your schedule may be grueling, but don't leave the show. And release more of your scores on albums!!

Thanks for being the first one to answer the chain of questions lol :p

Fantastic answers.

On 8/11/2017 at 6:38 AM, Detective_Crockett said:

A fun topic..  say one day a Delorean shows up outside your front porch..so hypothetically if you could go back to Miami during peak time, what's the first thing you would do? 

Which Crockett clothing would you steal whilst DJ is asleep in his Star Island complex? (Don't go getting any ideas ladies ;)

Please do feel free to add to these questions, I can't think of anything else right now xD 

The first thing I would so is to find a way to rent something on the water.  There's no AirBnB.

The item of Crockett clothing would have to be the Wayfarers since nothing he has would fit me.

I'd give Saundra Santiago my email address and when she wonders what a .com is, I'll tell her she'll find out in about 5 years.  At least I could break the ice that way.  I'd find some DJ style clothing in my size and walk the streets just soaking up the atmosphere and styles from a time when the world was much smaller.  After that I would definitely source a Scarab and have some fun while at the same time being amazed I could fill it up for less than $200.

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I'd somehow get on the MV set and beg to be an extra whenever they needed one! :dance2:

Good idea.....me too!  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 15/08/2017 at 5:21 AM, Tony D. said:

Good idea.....me too!  :thumbsup:

To see all the locations how they looked in the show and how they are meant to be seen - before many being tore down! 

Great post !

• Like 4

Yeah, it's a shame that so much of Miami has changed in the last 30 years.

Probably would have been interesting though to go have a look at South Beach and Ocean Drive in 1984/85 before it was all renovated... and turned into an extension of Disney World Orlando... :p

Edited by Daytona74

8 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

Yeah, it's a shame that so much of Miami has changed in the last 30 years.

Probably would have been interesting though to go have a look at South Beach and Ocean Drive in 1984/85 before it was all renovated... and turned into an extension of Disney World Orlando... :p

I think some of the old Art Deco hotels in South Beach used in the show are still standing & several still in use. :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, ViceFanMan said:

I think some of the old Art Deco hotels in South Beach used in the show are still standing & several still in use. :thumbsup:

when I was on Ocean Drive all of them looked the same..just some being remodeled or repainted.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jenny said:

when I was on Ocean Drive all of them looked the same..just some being remodeled or repainted.

Would love to stay a few nights in one some day...say The Carlyle? :glossy::thumbsup:

Between December 11, 1985 and December 20, 1985 I would hang out between 1435 and 1450 Collins Ave, Miami Beach and meet an interesting person.  :happy: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

• 11 months later...

I'd go back to hometown (Monroe, La.) , return to school & study like hell!  Jeez that was one helluva good town....in 1985.

I'm kind of turning back time now reducing bodyfat.  In fact my goal is the same or lower bodyfat level that I had in 1985.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, S.FL84 said:

I'd go back to hometown (Monroe, La.) , return to school & study like hell!  Jeez that was one helluva good town....in 1985.

I'm kind of turning back time now reducing bodyfat.  In fact my goal is the same or lower bodyfat level that I had in 1985.

Great to know man - this is a good topic.