Considering buying a white Testarossa!

Mvice8489

It's at the Volo museum (along with one of the actual screen-used McBurnies). I'm not sure in which thread, but I believe this car was reported to be in not good shape or something by at least one in-person, eye-witness here on this site. Forgive and correct me if I'm wrong. Pics sure look great, regardless. 

https://m.ebay.com/itm/1986-Ferrari-Daytona-Spyder-/172590819145

9 minutes ago, jpm1 said:

man there was a really nice Daytona replica few days/weeks ago. it was sold by something like autovolo museum or something like that. try on ebay maybe. the car was in Illinois USA

It's at the Volo museum (along with one of the actual screen-used McBurnies). I'm not sure in which thread, but I believe this car was reported to be in not good shape or something by at least one in-person, eye-witness here on this site. Forgive and correct me if I'm wrong. Pics sure look great, regardless. 

4 hours ago, jpm1 said:

man there was a really nice Daytona replica few days/weeks ago. it was sold by something like autovolo museum or something like that. try on ebay maybe. the car was in Illinois USA

I am referring to the Testarossa....not the Daytona.   BTW, that Daytona replica at Volo is awful.  I've seen it in person.   Trust me....you would not want that car!

• Like 1

just go for it and morgage the house, its a 380 HP V12 with a stick shift, and its only going to go up in price, get them before they become as expensive as the modern ones

as you cant beat a testarossa and the 308's are through the roof. as the ticket is that its still usable horsepower on old technology, its why all the classics are going up in value, these new ones, I had ferrari chat people tell me that they cant use their modern ones on the road anymore as their just too damn fast.

as to quote the video on the countach done by mark wallace, well skip to 7:14

just make sure to put about 5 to 7 K aside for it per year, sell the dog, sell the car hell keep it for a year and then flip it, atleast you had the experence, I just wish I could find a place that rents them out. or put on a doug demiro mask for a day and try it out somewhere

as even the crappy countaches are going up in value, and this is a far better direct competitior to it for half the price

as you have to rebuild a daytona to get the quirks out of it, its one of the most damning things about the daytona replicas, no two are gonna be alike, you get lucky you find a show piece that was built by someone that knows what he's doing, you dont and its gonna be a nightmare

these, the owners are notorious for not driving and not using them lol just ask harry evo sometime, hell ask him all you can about the testarossa, he had TWO! and he's keeping it and the countach. I mean yeah prices will be expensive but hey, its a ferrari and if you dont keep it you had the experence of a lifetime that you can tell the grandkids about.

I'm certain don had to say that to his grandkids growing up lol as at the very least I'm gonna find and rent one for my birthday somewhere lol IE give me something to shoot for lol

personally I keep thinking about formulas that will work for a daytona replica but I keep coming back to the LT1 motor for some reason, as everyone I talked to said that they either mod the crap out of their 350's or get rid of them, as that's the biggest problem with the corvette 350's of the late 70's, , its powerplant isnt built for power. even inline 6's from chevy van's  had more power and torque to them stock in the late 70's, they were just used as a cheap stopgap really

as most people cant get 400 horsepower out of them without blowing the motor, even the showrunner car had its motor blown and replaced at some point, as the trick setup was taking a 350 block, boring it out to 383, like the same 383 in the mopars weirdly enough, making me wonder if it was a disapointed mopar guy who did this first, and putting in a 400 Chevy Cam into it, so right off the bat your limited in what you can do with that motor

its why the 350 corvettes are so unwanted now, as you can still find 350 autos lying about everywhere in texas, just ask corvette ben, every month he buys a new one, fixes it up and flips it, and the heart of its car, the thing that makes it special is its motor, as people are willing to pay millions of dollars for what would otherwise be a 30 K motor in 15 K worth of steel challengers that drive horrible and crashed often back in the day.

and I keep thinking, LT1 Motor, Big Block suspension, in the same vein as the ZR1 and an old school automatic from the era of big blocks, and manual steering is the way to go as you can not drive a manual up here and relax, and power steering of the era was often overboosted and lacking in precision, and the 700R4 with the overdrive well...........

that's off the list, hell I think the ideal thing would be to find a rolling chasis with the body on it and then go snatch up a cheap car with the LT1 in it and then go from there.

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Thanks 1

Kavinsky-

-You definitely helped talk me into the TR!  LOL    Money I have .....parking spaces I don't !!

I'll rent a space at my buddies high-end., heated garage. 

TR prices have pulled back a bit after their dramatic run.  Do u think they will be higher in 3 years? 

If I buy it I'll look u up,  along with BigSarg and his sweet new Daytona and we'll all go for a drive :) 

On 25/09/2017 at 2:51 PM, Dadrian said:

I’m not convinced that is the real screen car. I have great evidence it’s not one of the cars

2 hours ago, Bigsarg said:

I’m not convinced that is the real screen car. I have great evidence it’s not one of the cars

You're talking about the one they claim as the real car (not for sale), not the one in the link above (for sale)?

Dadrian, yes I’m saying the car on display at Volo is not a real car from the TV show. I can point out factual parts on the car that shows it’s not the car and I’ve came in contact with a gentleman that has a friend that worked on the set of MV that said both cars were blown up and Ferrari had a rep there to insure that they were distroyed. 

Dadrian, yes I’m saying the car on display at Volo is not a real car from the TV show. I can point out factual parts on the car that shows it’s not the car and I’ve came in contact with a gentleman that has a friend that worked on the set of MV that said both cars were blown up and Ferrari had a rep there to insure that they were distroyed. 

In my search to find a decent replica, I visited the Volo museum to check out the replica they have for sale. The car on display as being noted as a Miami Vice screen used "Daytona", has the same vin# as one of the 2 replica's NBC Universal bought for for the TV show Miami Vice, and later sold. Per the gentleman I talked to at the museum the car on display was in real bad shape when they got it.

So yes I agree, there will be some cosmetic things like side or rear view mirrors that are not probably original due to age/misuse/car left to rot. But in the world of cars, if the Vin's match, it's the car.

There were some other physical issues that matched up as well, but rather than go thru them here. Go visit the museum, pay the $15-bucks and find out for yourself.

Edited by king77
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Volo car is one of the 2 Daytona’s used in the show, it’s fully documented with the VIN against the Universal paperwork.  There are changes made to the car because it was reused in the movie Speed Zone.  Neither car was blown up, both were given to Carl Roberts in exchange for a replica Testarossa for stunt use. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I tend to agree with volobrian.......I heard that an old chevy was blown up in the chapter that had the bad guy blow up the car with a missle launcher. This may be the confusion?

Well............Here we go again!

I'm off to Florida tomorrow morning to be probably disappointed again but if the Daytona is nice, I will buy it??????

I just spent the better part of this morning chasing a blue Daytona that was frustrating the hell out of me. Beautiful car with correct wheels, dash, lights etc but wrong interior colour(no problem) First I saw it listed in Coldchester VT for 12k. Then another one shows up in Plant City FL., so I go back to the CT listing and low and behold its the same picture? The car obviously has FL plates on it!!! Next listing I see it for 15.6k and now it is listed for 17k and the location is Wawehicha FL? WTF???  Tried to email the guy and his contact info is no good. Can't contact him from the other website "Contact" button either? His webpage is "error404".....what a load of $hit! Gave up on that one but I really wanted it! What is the matter with these unscrupulous vendors?

So.......later on I found another car that needs work. Paint is cracked and faded from the FL sun. No problem for me....Trunklid hinge is in need of repair and the tires need replacing as they are cracked etc and it needs a new convertible top. Good deal, but I am going to take the chance and drive there with three inches of money in my pocket to see if it is all it is cracked up to be in the advert. If I like it I will hire a transport to haul it back to the Great White North here.

Wish me luck boys and girls....this might be the one after a 12 year search. (I have seen so much junk................)

Edited by Stinger390X

3 hours ago, king77 said:

In my search to find a decent replica, I visited the Volo museum to check out the replica they have for sale. The car on display as being noted as a Miami Vice screen used "Daytona", has the same vin# as one of the 2 replica's NBC Universal bought for for the TV show Miami Vice, and later sold. Per the gentleman I talked to at the museum the car on display was in real bad shape when they got it.

So yes I agree, there will be some cosmetic things like side or rear view mirrors that are not probably original due to age/misuse/car left to rot. But in the world of cars, if the Vin's match, it's the car.

There were some other physical issues that matched up as well, but rather than go thru them here. Go visit the museum, pay the $15-bucks and find out for yourself.

Been there. Went 2 hrs out of my way to see this car. Was all happy until I saw the car in person. I’ve heard the story of the hidden vin number and all. 

There are two major issues that tell me that this is not the car in the show. Two issues that can not be explained away easily and any reason given for these items would be looked at with the utmost criticism. This is my opinion and owning a Daytona and doing extensive research I feel I have an acute knowledge of these cars and exspecially of Mcburnie built cars. If you know these cars,both major flaws can be seen in close inspection of pictures. I did not inspect the pictures on line but as soon as I walked up, they popped out like a sour thumb. 

And, now meeting someone who can put me in touch with a person that was on the set that said Ferrari had a rep there to insure cars were destroyed. I remember reading that back in the 80s but I’ve never been able to find a copy of that article. But it all makes sense. Ferrari was POed about the cars getting so much fame and being referred to as the Ferrari. I don’t think they would have just took anybody’s word for it. They would have had eyes on. That again is my opinion. 

2 hours ago, Stinger390X said:

I tend to agree with volobrian.......I heard that an old chevy was blown up in the chapter that had the bad guy blow up the car with a missle launcher. This may be the confusion?

Well............Here we go again!

I'm off to Florida tomorrow morning to be probably disappointed again but if the Daytona is nice, I will buy it??????

I just spent the better part of this morning chasing a blue Daytona that was frustrating the hell out of me. Beautiful car with correct wheels, dash, lights etc but wrong interior colour(no problem) First I saw it listed in Coldchester VT for 12k. Then another one shows up in Plant City FL., so I go back to the CT listing and low and behold its the same picture? The car obviously has FL plates on it!!! Next listing I see it for 15.6k and now it is listed for 17k and the location is Wawehicha FL? WTF???  Tried to email the guy and his contact info is no good. Can't contact him from the other website "Contact" button either? His webpage is "error404".....what a load of $hit! Gave up on that one but I really wanted it! What is the matter with these unscrupulous vendors?

So.......later on I found another car that needs work. Paint is cracked and faded from the FL sun. No problem for me....Trunklid hinge is in need of repair and the tires need replacing as they are cracked etc and it needs a new convertible top. Good deal, but I am going to take the chance and drive there with three inches of money in my pocket to see if it is all it is cracked up to be in the advert. If I like it I will hire a transport to haul it back to the Great White North here.

Wish me luck boys and girls....this might be the one after a 12 year search. (I have seen so much junk................)

I think most of those ads are data mining. I hope the car is what u want and you buy it. While your looking at it, there are a few things that u really want to look at:

if it has the stainless steel header on top of the windshield ask if u can remove it. 4 screws. If it’s all rusted out. Run away. This is a major repair, upwards of 5k. Unless u can do it urself then it’s still a problem cuz u don’t know how bad the birdcage is until u get all into it. 

If they won’t let you take iSS header off. Take a white towel with you (from hotel lol) lay it on the floorboard under the dash and shut the door hard a few times. If u see flakes of rust then there’s an issue with the bird cage. Do this on both dr and pass side

look in the rear wheel housing to see if the body had been sealed completely. I seen 2 that weren’t and if u drove in rain the car would have been flooded

the top should have 3 latches. One on each side and one in the middle. A lot only have 2. The middle one is not there. I’ve seen this on the majority of Daytonas. The car will never seal and it will pour wind thru as u drive. 

Look at the door seel area and if you see any cracks the body has flexed when it was jacked up most likely. This I have heard means the frame has cancer. I’ve seen one with cracks there. 

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. I hope it’s a descent car. Good luck

Been there. Went 2 hrs out of my way to see this car. Was all happy until I saw the car in person. I’ve heard the story of the hidden vin number and all. 

There are two major issues that tell me that this is not the car in the show. Two issues that can not be explained away easily and any reason given for these items would be looked at with the utmost criticism. This is my opinion and owning a Daytona and doing extensive research I feel I have an acute knowledge of these cars and exspecially of Mcburnie built cars. If you know these cars,both major flaws can be seen in close inspection of pictures. I did not inspect the pictures on line but as soon as I walked up, they popped out like a sour thumb. 

And, now meeting someone who can put me in touch with a person that was on the set that said Ferrari had a rep there to insure cars were destroyed. I remember reading that back in the 80s but I’ve never been able to find a copy of that article. But it all makes sense. Ferrari was POed about the cars getting so much fame and being referred to as the Ferrari. I don’t think they would have just took anybody’s word for it. They would have had eyes on. That again is my opinion. 

I'm not sure who you're referencing and it sounds like word of mouth, or what specifics you are referring to that are different, but i do know that Volo had to do significant restoration on Car1 because I remember seeing their photos of the restoration process some years back. The car came to them in very rough condition. The cars weren't destroyed...they were transferred to Carl Roberts.  As was shown in another thread in here by Kavinsky and someone else, models were used to simulate the destruction of the Daytona on the series.

And as king77 said or inferred, cosmetics can be easily changed and so can many body parts but VIN numbers don't lie. And VIN numbers are the only way to validate the authenticity of these cars as series driven. As far as I am concerned the authoritative sources on the show cars are jurassicnarc and CameraDaytona. who have met Carl Roberts and spoken with a number of principals re these cars. And CD owns the documents that provide provenance. 

More info:

I also recall, and it was verified, that the frame of one side of the Volo car was shorter than the other by the same amount as confirmed by Tom McBurnie as a feature of Car1. 

Bottom line however is that Brian at Volo located the hidden VIN plate and that VIN number was validated against Universal Studios documents retained by CameraDaytona, as witnessed by jurassicnarc. Their validation against Universal documentation is really the last word. Anything else is just interesting story telling or someone taking creative license with events of the day . 

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

I’ve read all the stuff in this forum about how this is the car. I’m just saying when I saw the car in person. Two distinct features stood out that can not be explained as cosmetic alterations. Knowing these cars as I do there is no reason for the show car to have either. That’s my opinion. Which any knowledgeable Daytona fan can make them out from examining pictures. I’m looking forward to one day meeting the gentleman that worked on the set and get more insight.

Its just my opinion and everyone has one. I’m just not convinced is all. If I were a collector I would want an explanation to why this car has these features. 

4 hours ago, Bigsarg said:

I think most of those ads are data mining. I hope the car is what u want and you buy it. While your looking at it, there are a few things that u really want to look at:

if it has the stainless steel header on top of the windshield ...........

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. I hope it’s a descent car. Good luck

Thanks Bigsarg. Great advice and don't worry I know these things like the back of my hand. I worked in a custom Vette Shop back in the 70's to the present so I have lots of experience in looking for birdcage rot and floppy windshield frames etc.

As I said I hope it's a workable unit that I can fix up.

Cool. That’s great that u got the knowledge to look one over. Most of these cars aer garage queens but still become derelicts. It  proves if a car (or boat) is not used. it falls apart.