Considering buying a white Testarossa!

Mvice8489

On 10/6/2017 at 9:20 PM, Bigsarg said:

I’ll give you one of the two items that are not correct on the Volo car. You should be able to figure out the second with out my help. The show car had stock stainless steel header on top of windshield and covette reviels on the A pillars. The car at Volo has a fiberglass surround that replaces this pieces. Mcburnie made his cars with this feature before he started selling the kit outright. So an early Mcburnie would have this. But the show car would not. To get one of these fiberglass surrounds would be hard to come by unless you had the whole car. And why on earth would you replace the stock convertible components on the windshield in the first place?  This is one of the reasons that can not be simply explained away. As rare as that fiberglass surround is. If you needed something for the windshield, it would be so much easier to find a stock piece. 

I hope this helps, and the other reason I believe it is not the show car is even more convincing. This body is not the body used in the show. I don’t know anything about vin#s or hidden vin#s. But I have researched these cars to the fullest extent during my restoration. I have talked to anyone and everyone one that has knowledge of thes cars. Things just don’t ad up to this body was on the car that was used on the show. 

The windshield was changed for speed zone, in one of the close ups with the girls, just as the race is starting they show a close up and it had been changed to the latter verson, as the car itself was a crashed car that was just rebuilt and rebuilt again

and the windshield trim was made up by carl roberts as a way to closer imitate the the ferrari one, it was two piece, had a chrome surround that went under the painted bit that held it in, Jurrasic Deleted it from his, and latter switched to the stock 78 style, and he, Carl Roberts was the one who provided the car for the movie, so that bit fits

and it also covered up the center section of the chrome, or atleast I thought it did, apparently it replaced it with a full fiberglass part from the top to hide how high up the windshield is, so that's new to me, thought it was just a painted cover not a complete replacement part.

and the car, had that replaced on the show as well, as in the early seasons it was still rocking its 76 Chrome windshield trim. before being refitted yet again for season 2 to the matt black plastic of the 78's, complete with its own smoked plexyglass cover, despite the nose seeming to be different and sporting a flat chrome grill vs the angled one of Car 4.

gallery_471_5_2692.jpg

gallery_471_5_48654.jpg

gallery_471_5_49677.jpg

also note the chipped paint on the top screen cap, as it was repainted from red,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Ferrari-Daytona-Spyder-McBurnie-Kit-Car-Automobile-Photo-Poster-zc3991-ZJ86-/290929970622?hash=item43bcc70dbe:g:M4QAAOxyPH9Rt0O-

as I still believe this is a promo shot from just when the car was completed, as its done in the same place and location as the shot of the other one and seems to be of the same vintage

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Ferrari-Daytona-Spyder-McBurnie-Kit-Car-Photo-c3990-SX152K-/350837531030?hash=item51af8be196:g:LZsAAOxyl5lSJH4A

and we know THAT is car 4

to black, and probably redone and painted black again for season 2, along with the rest of the refits to the car, and then black again when it was redone for the volo museum.

as on all TV shows, nothing ever sits still.

and here you also have to remember they have to use what replacement parts they can get their hands on, as I recognize the headlight covers that you said were so poorly fitted, their off of a Rowley GTC, another variant of the replicas, and one of the few who didnt get sued really given it had all died down by the time they had gotten to him in 89, and thus he's the only guy still in business who might still have parts.

as he changed the name and the badges to say Rowley GTC, and even retrofitted the C3's with latter parts and engine bays, proportedly to have a C4 motor and steering box among other things, such as the same kind of quality tops that they used on the old german cars back then that were actually ment to last and not biodegrade like modern BMW's are nowadays.

think he also trimmed the flares and other subtile things too, kinda tried to take everything to another level, like a second take at the C3's given that the C4's had been around for about 6 years at that point, so their was plenty of time and reason to do so with his.

http://corvette.canney.net/webvettes/customized/c0072/index.html

some have stock windshield trims, others dont, even among the GTC's, heres an example of the full Carl Roberts Windshield trim

http://corvette.canney.net/webvettes/customized/c0028/index.html

and without like on the volo car

http://corvette.canney.net/webvettes/customized/c0014/index.html

as its a custom car, things are gonna vary like crazy like this

Edited by Kavinsky

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:15 PM, Mvice8489 said:

The owner bought that car in January 2017 at Barrett Jackson.  Stole it for only $151K  !!   He recently sold it to an overseas buyer for a sizable profit

Any idea what he sold it for?

The reason that the VIN tag on the windshield post of the Volo car was not the VIN number of Car1 was that Carl Roberts never got the title for Car1 from Universal Studios (even though he was given the car via the contract for building the stunt Testarossa).  Therefore, to have a legal car to send to California for "Speed Zone", he used the VIN and title from a different car.  Carl told JN and myself this when we visited him.  He did get the title for Car4, which was posted on this site at an earlier date (with the VIN crossed out), but JN and I both have copies of that title showing the VIN for Car4.

Sorry to get off of your search for the Testarossa.  I hope you find a good one with recent maintenance.

5 hours ago, CameraDaytona said:

Any idea what he sold it for?

He wouldn't say but my "educated guess" based on a few things is $250-300K ish.  Can not elaborate any more on it, though.  (and I could very wrong....but don't think I am :))

On 10/18/2017 at 6:51 PM, Mvice8489 said:

He wouldn't say but my "educated guess" based on a few things is $250-300K ish.  Can not elaborate any more on it, though.  (and I could very wrong....but don't think I am :))

Well foreign markets for exotics typically charge about 150 to 200 percent over the price here in the states, its why there's such a racket to steal a car in the US and sell it overseas in places like china where literally its 2.5 X the cost of buying it in the US. so that's probably a safe assumption. plus vintage TR's are shooting up in price for the reasons I already mentioned.

Edited by Kavinsky

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

another white one just hit the market

https://www.fusionmotorco.com/vehicles/423/1989-ferrari-testarossa

they just got it as a trade in 4 days ago. Does NOT come with the stock wheels. 
Per the (clean) Carfax it has only 500 miles put on it over the past 8 years. I do not have service records yet. Have asked for them, of course.

Initial thoughts????

• Like 1

Really nice. Good year model, too. Again, I personally prefer the original wheels. Also, the automatic seatbelts are not good, from what I’ve read/heard/seen.  

Edited by Dadrian

12 minutes ago, Mvice8489 said:

All TR's come with those type of seatbelts.   

Not the early ones (85-86ish)

• 2 months later...

TR is not the real thing (my 2c). these low price are just baiting. the car has probably a security level, where if the final price is lower, the car won't be sold

7 hours ago, jpm1 said:

TR is not the real thing (my 2c). these low price are just baiting. the car has probably a security level, where if the final price is lower, the car won't be sold

Isn’t the $20k just a starting bid?

yeah starting but bait price. such low prices have always a security price. generally much higher than the starting price. where below the car won't be sold. basically 20k is the price for a wrecked Testarossa :rolleyes:

guys this is an auction that ends next Thursday.  The initial bid of 20k is just an opening bid.  Of course it is not going to sell at that level!! 

Haven't you guys ever seen an auction process?   This is not "bait' etc.  It is an opening bid.   Simple as that.  The "reserve" (which means the price that the seller will NOT sell the car below) is most likely $90K.  If it sells......it will sell within 10K of that amount  ($80-100K range).

I know TR's sale prices (extremely well :)).....I know how auctions work.  Just asking for thoughts on the appearance, mechanical thoughts on the car etc.

THanks

On 5/11/2018 at 8:39 AM, Matt5 said:

Never knew that.

yeah matt in the late 80's they made a law stating that all cars have automatic seatbelts, all the way up until 1994 I think

5 hours ago, Kavinsky said:

yeah matt in the late 80's they made a law stating that all cars have automatic seatbelts, all the way up until 1994 I think

Thanks Kavinsky! :hippie:

Dash is the right color, one of the many things people get wrong when they say they have the vice car, dead giveaway!  thing changes to an almost egg plant esque color at night, hence why its so damn hard to figure out what it is lol

nearly as bloody hard as figuring out what color the inspector morse jag is in!

overall not exact the same but its damn good looking, plus with the vice cars rims theirs something to be abit worried about if it had them, their made out of magnesium, magnesium over many many years can crack and give up the ghost, plus it requires a special tool to service it

IE to take it off, these use a more traditional pattern to them

and they went with it as it was a metal chosen for its light weight properties, but not only was it very hard to work with (they used it on the bodies of the porsche 550, which is why restoring ones such a nightmare) but I dont know where you'd find modern replacements.

plus I think it could be possible to pull a visual trick, maybe have someone machine some centercaps to look like the ones on the knock off if its a must have item, or simply stack two ontop of each other and apply a little chrome paint, probably would look like hell though lol

although one thing is curious, it has the Vice cars turn signals, I thought those were changed in 89', this might be one of the last cars to have them, or maybe that was a eurospec thing they did

overall, its looks good, if you got the cash, shoot lol

as I dont think con artists would have a frog green porsche 918 in the background lol

s-l1600.jpg

along with what looks to be a lemon twist 1989 Porsche Speedster, kinda reminds me of a line from the rookie with charle sheen when he was a looker back in the day

what monster would paint a car a color like that lol

and sorry I had to say something about'em as porsche runs in the blood given my german heritage, not the most exciting cars in the world, but very capable, provided they have the what should have been standard, front spoiler that keeps the nose down on them post 72'

if you want exciting however you buy italian or a muscle car with a big block under the hood lol

just found out about it a few days ago by accident actually FYI as I finally got back to a magazine that covered the mindset of the porsche engineers when it cames to aerodynamics, and then 6 paragraphs in is a thing that would have saved my father alot of trouble along with alot of OTHER people lol,

as my fathers always wanted a 911 but he had one come out from underhim in 69, been trying to see if they made one that didnt do that, as he's reaching retirement age so I wanna see if I can help find him one in due time after he retires as that's always been on his bucket list, turns out they knew about it and fixed it with an optional front spoiler along with the oil tank being moved to the front on the 72 model, along with the whale tail thing

as noted in the august edition of the old porsche mag excellence, one of the few to actually call it how it was with his old car, the one he bought INSTEAD of the 911, the 914, so I know their solid.

hence all the tricks they used on the 73 RS, and the yellowbird, and hence why i havent been on here for awhile lol

although I still need to figure out how to fix the corvette stub axel thing, that just bugs me, thinking maybe I can look at the cobra's stub axel and see what they used as it was a much more powerful car with far bigger tires on it

maybe find out what they used for a back end and transplant it onto a C3 chassis, hopefully they bring it up in the book I'm reading, Inside Shelby American By Jim Morton

funny some of the stuff they did back then, turns out they engineered the damn sunbeam tiger AT shelby as a secret project in 62/63 lol

meaning its not just a poor mans cobra, its a proper BABY cobra made by the same people just as they were building the first 260's and 289's!

and they had to hammer the A arms on an MG steering rack to make it fit lol as they had to complete redo the thing and they just had that ONE thing they needed to hammer to make it work and it carried over to production at sunbeam too lol

so if you own a sunbeam tiger, its actually kinda a legit cobra really lol guess they were aiming to make both, a high production one via the sunbeam, which makes sense as the corvette outsold the cobra 3 to 1 at a cost of 6 grand back in the day

so they would have to have SOMETHING like that to keep the doors open, turns out it was that of all things, hell after they showed it to the head of sunbeam, after he was out for hours driving the damn thing, the head of sunbeam actually called Henry ford and ordered like 3500 from him personally while he was on vacation on a yacht in the mediterranean lol

Edited by Kavinsky

Great write-up Kavinsky. 

And good job spotting the "frog green" Porsche 918 in the background of that picture. 

The color is called 'Viper Green'. 

I know....because I actually OWN a Viper Green 2015 Porsche 911 C4S !!   Super rare color.   Only three 911's were painted that color in 2015 (of 9,800 911's sold in North America that year).

It definitely gets noticed.  And now I know what a Viper Green Porsche looks like while it is sitting next to a white Testarossa :)

Here is a link with pictures of the green Porsche from when I bought it new

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-marketplace/861468-2015-carrera-4s-coupe-paint-to-sample-viper-green-7-speed-mt-sport-design-pkg.html

• Like 1