Mvice8489

Considering buying a white Testarossa!

Recommended Posts

Dadrian

Edit: skip to my next post below :p

Edited by Dadrian
Forgot quote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dadrian
19 minutes ago, Mvice8489 said:

Hey, what happened to this thread?  I thought it was to be about my search for a white Testarossa....LOL !!!

So Volo's car  basically consists partially of a frame which has the correct VIN and partially of a body that has been completely redone since the show aired? Am  I reading this correctly?

If that is the case, is it "really" the car from the show?   As fans aren't we more emotionally attached to the actual look of the car specifically as to how it appeared on the show  (i.e,. same seats, dash, side-markers, carpet, exhaust pipes, mirrors)?  I know I am. 

THAT is the stuff that I fell in love with.  Not some frame that now supports a body that is completely different.    

Just one man's opinion of course.  But my suspicion is if we polled 'Vice fans that most would agree with that view.

Your thread kinda got hijacked. :) I really hope you get a Testarossa, though! 

As for the Volo Daytona, I deduce that the VIN means it is the car. Things were changed on it after Vice and before Brian got it, but it doesn’t change the fact that it is the car. 

That was Don Johnson on James Corden the other night, even though he’s had some work done, too. 

What’s the big mystery?

Anyway, that’s what this all adds up to for me, so far.

I’m certainly not taking any sides here, per se—I enjoy the posts of EVERY individual in this thread (and other threads), and I think it’s great we have a place to hash this stuff out. :thumbsup:

If I ever get to buy a McBurnie Daytona, I now feel like I will have the contacts to tell me yea or nay! Best regards to you all!

Edited by Dadrian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
volobrian
28 minutes ago, Mvice8489 said:

Hey, what happened to this thread?  I thought it was to be about my search for a white Testarossa....LOL !!!

So Volo's car  basically consists partially of a frame which has the correct VIN and partially of a body that has been completely redone since the show aired? Am  I reading this correctly?

If that is the case, is it "really" the car from the show?   As fans aren't we more emotionally attached to the actual look of the car specifically as to how it appeared on the show  (i.e,. same seats, dash, side-markers, carpet, exhaust pipes, mirrors)?  I know I am. 

THAT is the stuff that I fell in love with.  Not some frame that now supports a body that is completely different.    

Just one man's opinion of course.  But my suspicion is if we polled 'Vice fans that most would agree with that view.

The car is the complete MV car, frame and body that had some minor changes that can easily be reversed and eventually will be.  Sorry for you’re thread being taken over, just defending my property.  

As for Testarossa, have a really nice red one for sale! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mvice8489

"As for Testarossa, have a really nice red one for sale!"

White TR's only for this guy!!!  Come on...this is a 'Vice forum after all :)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bigsarg

Since the fact that you can take a picture of a detail of the original car that very few people even know about. Even Daytona owners have no clue what I’m talking about apparently from some comments on this thread. And that I can verify it is a picture of your car buy a picture I have: 

picture you posted, you can see the feet of the stature and the bolted in Ferrari housing behind the fender

IMG_2154.jpg

Picture I took when I visited, you can see the stature In front of the car as in your picture  21C31C54-11BB-4040-A2ED-53DCA15B4FCD.thumb.jpeg.45701ae1585dee8991a3b17a6f8e0d63.jpeg

I do think now that this is the original car. In my opinion this single detail is more proof then you saying you found the hidden vin# and have documentation but no one can see it cause someone will counterfeit it (which is probably true). But this detail now will also be used in other fraudsters unfortunately. At least you have a solid record here that your car has always had this detail. 

So, as one fan mentioned. It’s not the frame, but the entire look of the MV car. I to agree and hope to see this car brought back to the actual look during the filming of the show. 

I thank you for taking the time to take pictures of the car and post them. And for your patience in showing that the car is the real car.

After researching the Daytona as extensively as I have for my rebuild. You have proved to me without a doubt that this is the car. Thanks again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sonny-Burnett
31 minutes ago, Bigsarg said:

I do think now that this is the original car. In my opinion this single detail is more proof then you saying you found the hidden vin# and have documentation but no one can see it cause someone will counterfeit it (which is probably true)

 

And yet as I have said before, evidence of a cutout and Ferrari lens housing is an interesting anecdotal story as apparently recounted by McB, yet it remains that if Volo was unable to validate the VIN of the frame against Universal documents (verified by 3 individuals as well as CR who provided said docs) as well as the coding on the birdcage to the original donor vehicle, then this standalone lens housing that you claim is attributed to only the original cars produced would be entirely insufficient to establish the provenance of the car.  And having looked at the housing in my car which is integrated into the fiberglass, I would expect a good body person could remove this section and leave a cutout sufficient for me to install a complete Ferrari lens housing. Does that then make my car one of the original production run? Hardly. 

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bigsarg

Sonny-Burnett,

You stated “My turn lenses are also bolted in, and it is a later McBurnie produced in 1988.  And apparently so are the lenses on the Volo car.“

Sense you stated in this previous post that yours also bolted in. And you have now confirmed you had no clue what I was discussing and that your housing are built in to the body. Then, no one really knew about this fact. And, so the car would not have such Ferrari housing. The birdcage aperantly does not have a valid vin # from what I’m understanding and that is why the door sill had to be cut to find the frame vin#. Otherwise why such drastic measures. Simple look at the vin under the windshield. Too easy, right? 

So, yes, the fact that this car has a feature that no one has ever addressed before. And that I knew about only because of a brief conversation with Tom M. Not spectacularly talking in how the cars were built, but that this fact was mentioned in passing. Then yes it would go a long way to establish the provenance of the car. That the whole car is real not just the frame and birdcage, That along with one other jewel of knowledgebthat that has already been confirmed which I will not disclose. Cause then people will be wanting to counterfeit it, proves the car to be authentic. 

So yes now everyone can go out and get Real Ferrari housing & put them in their Daytona and can ask such question “Does that then make my car one of the original production run? Hardly.“ And, I agree hardly

But they don’t have this thread dated back to October 2017 that proves this car had such a feature that had never been addressed in any other inquiry (that I’m aware of) that proves the  intire car is authentic plus documents that back up said frame. 

This fact about the Ferrari housing being used. if it is in any other publication, I would encourage someone to post it here to help validate even further this discussion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dadrian

Now I’m confused. @Bigsarg , are you now convinced the Volo Daytona is one of the authentic cars, based on this lenses issue, or no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sonny-Burnett
49 minutes ago, Bigsarg said:

You stated “My turn lenses are also bolted in, and it is a later McBurnie produced in 1988.  And apparently so are the lenses on the Volo car.“

Sense you stated in this previous post that yours also bolted in. And you have now confirmed you had no clue what I was discussing and that your housing are built in to the body

I "had no clue" because of how you phrased your statements and it was unclear to me exactly what you were referring to. You provided an external photo of the lens on the car and so that is what I thought you were referring to initially. Has NO bearing on my comment above however as I clarified what my housing component is. 

49 minutes ago, Bigsarg said:

The birdcage aperantly does not have a valid vin # from what I’m understanding and that is why the door sill had to be cut to find the frame vin#. Otherwise why such drastic measures. Simple look at the vin under the windshield. Too easy, right? 

And now you are  missing the point here. You can go back into the Ferrari thread from 2 years ago or so and read about the particulars of how Brian at Volo discovered the VIN plate as displayed was not the original plate. I am referring to something different on the cage which identifies the original donor body color, mfr date etc. Identifying the donor car body is part of the validation process. 

49 minutes ago, Bigsarg said:

Then yes it would go a long way to establish the provenance of the car. That the whole car is real not just the frame and birdcage, That along with one other jewel of knowledgebthat that has already been confirmed which I will not disclose. Cause then people will be wanting to counterfeit it, proves the car to be authentic. 

Sorry i don't agree. You don't have any proof that other McBurnie builds do not have such a cutout and Ferrari housing. McB's comment may be true and it may not be, as his memory has been known to be off. Just look at the Car Chaser's show where he endorsed that car as Car1 on national TV, and it was later determined that it could not have been Car1. This anecdote he passed along to you is interesting yes, and may be true,  but certainly proves little as far as provenance goes. That 'only the original cars have that feature'  is not documented anywhere and, as i said,  you have no proof that it was not done in some other builds.  In the end as me and others have tried persuading you in here....only verification of the frame and body codes is going to provide validation and provenance. Anything else such as this lens issue may add to it, but will not be sufficient by itself to validate the car as Car1. 

 

49 minutes ago, Bigsarg said:

That along with one other jewel of knowledgebthat that has already been confirmed which I will not disclose

Why do you continue with these coy comments? IF you have something else then spit it out. geesh .

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bigsarg

It’s ok that you don’t agree with me. That’s a fine assertion. But the color code plate has no references to the donor vin so it was irrelevant to me in identifying the birdcage. 

Here is the back side of my color code badge. If you can tell me that this says what vin# my car is. Please Enlighten me. I’m always willing to learn something. 

Ive watched the show were Mcburnie didn’t say that’s his car. He said that was his console piece from car one. They worked around his words in my opinion. As far as his mental state. I’m not aware nor would I comment behind someone’s back on such a thing. 

As far as you not understanding what I was saying. That’s fine. I thought it was humorous to read your reply. I knew you had no clue what I was talking about. Watching you walk back your comments now is also very interesting.

as far as me being coy as you say. Just spit it out. This seems to be a irritant to you and therefore I will not disclose it at all. I will tell Brian the next time I’m in the area to see the car and I will show it to him. 

I don’t want someone to counterfeit it as you said before any good body person can fabricate this or that. 

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bigsarg
40 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Now I’m confused. @Bigsarg , are you now convinced the Volo Daytona is one of the authentic cars, based on this lenses issue, or no?

Dadrian, yes based on the lense housing being used. I’m convinced that this is the entire car that was used on the set. Minus of course the windshield components that came from a Carl Roberts build or a Mcburnie before he started selling kits to the public. So yes it is the car Bra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dadrian
30 minutes ago, Bigsarg said:

So yes it is the car Bra

Cool. 

@Mvice8489 if you bought the Testarossa that Volo has for sale you would always have this story to tell how you found it! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pritt

I like this discussion. Very interessting new informations about the MCB Daytonas.

@Bigsarg, your Trim tag says, that your donor car was in silver metallic with a red leather interior. Built between 78-81.Right? But it says absolutly nothing about your VIN.

In the next view days, i'll take a look in my car, if ithere are  build in the Ferrari lens housings? I think so, but mine is not a MCB.

@ Mvice, good luck finding your white TR. It is already built. You just need to find him.

Something to dream about...

 

Edited by Pritt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
volobrian
7 hours ago, Bigsarg said:

It’s ok that you don’t agree with me. That’s a fine assertion. But the color code plate has no references to the donor vin so it was irrelevant to me in identifying the birdcage. 

Here is the back side of my color code badge. If you can tell me that this says what vin# my car is. Please Enlighten me. I’m always willing to learn something. 

Ive watched the show were Mcburnie didn’t say that’s his car. He said that was his console piece from car one. They worked around his words in my opinion. As far as his mental state. I’m not aware nor would I comment behind someone’s back on such a thing. 

As far as you not understanding what I was saying. That’s fine. I thought it was humorous to read your reply. I knew you had no clue what I was talking about. Watching you walk back your comments now is also very interesting.

as far as me being coy as you say. Just spit it out. This seems to be a irritant to you and therefore I will not disclose it at all. I will tell Brian the next time I’m in the area to see the car and I will show it to him. 

I don’t want someone to counterfeit it as you said before any good body person can fabricate this or that. 

image.jpg

Just to clarify, the reference of frame to body;  the frame VIN was matched against the production calendar, this gives the date the frame was built.  The trim plate paint code is a 1976 only code providing the year.  It also gives a month and day date.  Those dates are less than 3 weeks apart.  This is the typical time frame of body to frame, proving the body and frame are a match. It would be highly unlikely that someone would coincidentally provide that close of a match and highly unlikely that someone would go through that much effort to make it match.  

 

@Bigsarg thanks the challenge, a good debate usually leads to new questions, answers and discovery 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sonny-Burnett
1 hour ago, volobrian said:

Just to clarify, the reference of frame to body;  the frame VIN was matched against the production calendar, this gives the date the frame was built.  The trim plate paint code is a 1976 only code providing the year.  It also gives a month and day date.  Those dates are less than 3 weeks apart.  This is the typical time frame of body to frame, proving the body and frame are a match. It would be highly unlikely that someone would coincidentally provide that close of a match and highly unlikely that someone would go through that much effort to make it match.  

 

 

Thanks @volobrian for clarifying the connection between the frame VIN and trim plate code...I couldn't find your original post on this last night when I did a quick search from several years ago.  I think this ties out nicely how your car body and frame do line up.  Perhaps even now @Bigsarg may even be able to understand the tie in. But who knows. 

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sonny-Burnett
9 hours ago, Bigsarg said:

Ive watched the show were Mcburnie didn’t say that’s his car. He said that was his console piece from car one. They worked around his words in my opinion. As far as his mental state. I’m not aware nor would I comment behind someone’s back on such a thing. 

As far as you not understanding what I was saying. That’s fine. I thought it was humorous to read your reply. I knew you had no clue what I was talking about. Watching you walk back your comments now is also very interesting.

as far as me being coy as you say. Just spit it out. This seems to be a irritant to you and therefore I will not disclose it at all. I will tell Brian the next time I’m in the area to see the car and I will show it to him.

Thanks for the laugh. As to McB's mental state....your words not mine. But the Car Chasers episode may speak to his memory was my point. 

As to walking back my comments...again thanks for the laugh. I did miss your first point on this for no other reason that your writing style is unclear and hard to follow, at least by me. But keep telling yourself that you know more than everyone else.  And keep telling yourself that a body cutout for a lens housing is proof positive that the car is or is not the show car.

And by all means, keep telling yourself you have some new and undisclosed argument that the Volo car is not Car1. Your first post was said with so much conviction that the Volo car is NOT Car1...lol. I've enjoyed reading your comments about cosmetic issues, and your continued claims that the front end is NOT THE SHOW CAR, and watching them get shot down in flames every time. But by all means, do keep on trying.  This has been entertaining at least. 

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bigsarg
3 hours ago, Pritt said:

I like this discussion. Very interessting new informations about the MCB Daytonas.

@Bigsarg, your Trim tag says, that your donor car was in silver metallic with a red leather interior. Built between 78-81.Right? But it says absolutly nothing about your VIN.

In the next view days, i'll take a look in my car, if ithere are  build in the Ferrari lens housings? I think so, but mine is not a MCB.

@ Mvice, good luck finding your white TR. It is already built. You just need to find him.

Something to dream about...

 

Thxs for the video. That videos makes me like TS more than MV. Just saying

let me know if your car has the housings. I’ve never seen nor heard of them being used in a replica. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bigsarg

Sonny-Burnett, like I said, I knew you didn’t understand what I was talking about, or I though you didn't  really own a Daytona.

I find your last post condescending . Reverting to such behavior suggests you are defensive and therefore find my opinions valid. 

Thanks for making my day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sonny-Burnett
49 minutes ago, Bigsarg said:

Sonny-Burnett, like I said, I knew you didn’t understand what I was talking about, or I though you didn't  really own a Daytona.

I find your last post condescending . Reverting to such behavior suggests you are defensive and therefore find my opinions valid. 

Thanks for making my day

Don't give yourself too much credit. I didn't start this thread by making blanket statements that the Volo car is NOT one of the show cars. You concluded that all by yourself, solely on the basis of an external inspection of the windshield trim, and the lens housing which could not possibly tell you that there was a cutout for the lens housing or whether it was built into the fiberglass. So who really didn't understand what they were talking about, hm? Even after Brian explained the trim piece to you and its ease in removal or replacement, you continued on with your hard-line that we all MUST agree AT LEAST that the nose was not the show car. Yet you had not a shred of proof to take such a hard position, as you hadn't even seen the inside of the nose to make such a conclusion at that point. And you were proven wrong in every example.  Maybe you should have approached this with an open mind and asked questions rather than making your conclusions before even investigating the facts, hm? So again, who didn't understand what they were talking about?

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pritt

Peace please. The last comments entice users to leave a forum - forever. And that would be a pity for both, Bigsarg and Sonny-Burnett. You are useful users of the forum. Thx.

Edited by Pritt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stinger390X
On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 12:48 AM, Stinger390X said:

Thanks Bigsarg. Great advice and don't worry I know these things like the back of my hand. I worked in a custom Vette Shop back in the 70's to the present so I have lots of experience in looking for birdcage rot and floppy windshield frames etc.

As I said I hope it's a workable unit that I can fix up.

Yes I tend to agree about the data mining!!!!

It's been a week now and I have messenged this guy six times with two methods and not a peep? I have since sent the owner of the website an unhealthy review of this moron's posting. Again....I am screwed! I have such little faith regarding these cars now that after a ten year search I am getting bewildered. I have come to the conclusion that there is no car for sale in Orlando and this was just like bigsarg said "data mining"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bigsarg
2 hours ago, Pritt said:

Peace please. The last comments entice users to leave a forum - forever. And that would be a pity for both, Bigsarg and Sonny-Burnett. You are useful users of the forum. Thx.

I got your point and several emails about  their interactions with SB. So, I will just leave it along 

Edited by Bigsarg
Edit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dadrian

All negative comments aside, this thread has been more interesting than the actual show for me this week. 

Thanks to all the experts here for sharing these details. 

Please play my songs in your Daytonas. It’s all I have to offer. :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mvice8489

The owner bought that car in January 2017 at Barrett Jackson.  Stole it for only $151K  !!   He recently sold it to an overseas buyer for a sizable profit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now