how to deal with North korea

jpaul1

i'm a man of peace. globally i'm against violence. but when i see a guy like North korea leader that can have nuclear bomb soon, i'm wondering. what should the world leaders do, wait and take the risk of an ultra dictatorial government getting the nuclear bomb, or strike now maybe, before things get to late. i mean that Kim Jung-un seems totally out of control. what do you think. is there other ways to make North korea change its mind, and stop developping nuclear weapons

No offense but...I know this is the off topic section, but I can't really answer this question without getting a little political, something I don't want to do on this forum here. I think I'll reserve my answer for reddit...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

These political topics always do so well:thumbsup: lol. But atleast it's something we can all agree on for a change.

On the news it said we were trying to stop China from exporting food to NK, but Kim Jong Un will be the last guy to go without eating. All it'll do is create another famine where the poor populace will take the brunt of it, whilst Un will be cooped up in his fortress watching American movies with his bag of Doritos.

We could do a Bay of Pigs type of thing, We round up a bunch of escaped North Koreans, send them back into the country armed and they take out the leaders from within. I don't know:). In all serious, Don't know how we can take them out without also killing the civilians. So in short, we are screwed.

@ Assasinge: i read the forum rules for the second time in 3 days and i saw nothing about political being forbidden. you are correct on the pretty friendly atmosphere here, and that any conflict would be bad. but the subject is serious. we are talking of an absolute totalitarian government (if you can call this a government) being close to own ballistic nuclear missiles. with a good satellite recon, wouldn't it be better for example to strike nervous centers. i mean when the ballistic missiles will be ready that's gonna be much more hotter IMO

7 minutes ago, jpm1 said:

@ Assasinge: i read the forum rules for the second time in 3 days and i saw nothing about political being forbidden. you are correct on the pretty friendly atmosphere here, and that any conflict would be bad. but the subject is serious. we are talking of an absolute totalitarian government (if you can call this a government) being close to own ballistic nuclear missiles. with a good satellite recon, wouldn't it be better for example to strike nervous centers. i mean when the ballistic missiles will be ready that's gonna be much more hotter IMO

I know politics isn't banned here, I was just wary of starting a conflict here or something. But I'll quickly provide my input here if you want then: 

Using that kind of force (nuking NK) also nomalizes its use. Not just for the USA, but also for the rest of the world. We're supposed to be better than that, and we prove it by setting the leading example. If we normalize nuclear warfare than other nations allied/neutral/hostile will feel more comfortable using their arsenal to solve issues and disputes.
This isn't to say that the USA shouldn't defend itself or it's allies to its maximum capablities if attacked, but the consequences of even answering nuclear fire with nuclear fire are grave and terrible.
Diplomacy is the best answer we have even if its not perfect. North Korea might not care about destroying the world but we should. It's what makes us better.

In my view, Trump has literally given our ideological enemies their propaganda dreams. From the Muslim Ban to his Fire and Fury comments, previously groups like ISIS and the Kim dynasty had to convince its people that United States was truly wishing to destroy Muslims and North Koreans. Now ISIS and Kim Jong Un have a President of the United States basically confirming their years of propaganda, saying see we told you those Americans just want to blow you up. 

• Like 1

interesting point of view. but in my precedent post i never talked of using nukes. with a good recon, USA and its allies could create a chaos enough for the NK people to raise up and take power. concerning Trump, well personnally i didn't see him lighting the 1st fire. NK has been provocating over and over again. keeping ongoing a nuclear program, while all (or almost all) others nations were trying to ban nuclear arsenals

I served in uniform during the 80s and can remember Reagan ordering a bomber strike on Libya to teach Gaddafi a lesson.  No one wants war especially those serving our country now. We need to do a surgical strike and take out the little rodent, thus minimizing civilian deaths.  We cannot let a nut job like Kim Jong Un have the ability to strike with nuclear weapons. 

I reckon what should happen is.

They should get two American talk show hosts to interview Kim Jong Un and then working with the CIA they should then kill him and it will end the conflict and it will be completely off the records.

Whilst doing it they should sing Firework by Katy Perry.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Vicefan7777 said:

I served in uniform during the 80s and can remember Reagan ordering a bomber strike on Libya to teach Gaddafi a lesson.  No one wants war especially those serving our country now. We need to do a surgical strike and take out the little rodent, thus minimizing civilian deaths.  We cannot let a nut job like Kim Jong Un have the ability to strike with nuclear weapons. 

Wouldn't that make us look like the trigger happy guys? Diplomacy is the only way to go, any strike of any sort will not solve the problem, in my opinion. Truman didn't want to go down as a trigger happy pres. so he abstained from letting Doug MacArthur go forward with the atom bomb on Korea, if memory serves me correct. And, yeah we could take him out through a surgical strike but, that isn't going to be some "drop a nuke, dust off hands and leave" type thing here. At best, we just gave into their temptation at a grave cost and proved to the world that we are incapable of dimplomacy, and we'll just nuke or strike our way through the ranks.

Which, quite frankly, we already are. This would just be a step over the big rock for us.

I don't normally participate in political threads because they have the potential to erupt.  But I read a column by Michael Gerson this morning that I felt was expressive of the thoughtful and careful path I believe will be best for the current situation.  You can read the whole column here:  http://www.saratogian.com/opinion/20170813/michael-gerson-president-should-visit-white-house-library  but the gist is this.  He cites an account by Robert F. Kennedy about his brother, President John F. Kennedy and his actions during to the Cuban Missile Crisis. 

In his account of that 1962 nuclear standoff, “Thirteen Days,” Robert F. Kennedy describes a meeting with President John F. Kennedy early in the crisis. “A short time before,” recounts RFK, the president “had read Barbara Tuchman’s book ‘The Guns of August’” -- a still-compelling account of the lead-up to World War I. “He talked,” RFK continues, “about the miscalculations of the Germans, the Russians, the Austrians, the French and the British. They somehow seemed to tumble into war, he said, through stupidity, individual idiosyncrasies, misunderstandings, and personal complexes of inferiority and grandeur.”

“I am not going to follow a course,” JFK later says, “which will allow anyone to write a comparable book about this time, ‘The Missiles of October.’ ... If anyone is around to write after this, they are going to understand that we made every effort to find peace and every effort to give our adversary room to move.”

Kennedy had studied history; his father was ambassador to the Court of St. James when he was a young adult; he traveled extensively in Europe before WWII and served on active duty in the Navy (South Pacific) during WWII.   When the war ended he was already 28 years old--old enough to have absorbed the idea of his own mortality as well as understanding how political ambitions can alter the course of history.  IMO his path of making "every effort to find peace and every effort to give our adversary room to move" was a way he could avoid a confrontation in which the Russians could save face while backing away from the precipice of nuclear war.

• Like 1

Kind of what I'm saying, diplomacy is the only real way to solve this, other than that, the US will just have more blood on its hands and will proudly display it no matter what. Also realise that since Trump's approval ratings are practically down the drain, along with Congress's, he's going to think that a war with NK will not only bring his ratings up (amongst his sheep base, at least) but will also throw the media off of the whole Russia investigation.

There is only a truce in place anyway. It is a true dictatorship with one TV channel and if you say one bad word or thought since they think Kim can read their minds then plain and simple they kill you. Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter had to give them nuclear power and billions and regret it now.  Trump wanted negotiations and if failed then preemptive military strike back in 1999.  Hell, all kim has to do is do an airburst over US and the emp would knock out everything.  China gets 90% of their trade from them and could do it all in a minute.  Rodman and Obama are scared to go there because they might do to them what they did to otto warmbier.

• Like 1

Comments that are inflammatory such as referring to Trump's "sheep base" are why these political discussions are a bad idea in this forum. They invite conflict and inflamed rhetoric. So to avoid this I suggest we drop this subject.

• Like 2

CNN finds meme maker in one day yet cant find any Russia collusion in 6 months.  Obama told Putin that he would have more flexibility after he wins election and it was never investigated just pushed under the rug.  Russia hacked the state department and white house for 6 months and it was also pushed under the rug and if the elections were hacked then it was done under Obama administration watch and nothing has been done to them.

19366461_10209007149646928_3336831181539084179_n.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrators

Team, I'm sorry but these topics NEVER go well. In the interest of keeping our family together I'm shutting this one down. There are other forums that you can discuss this on.  Let's keep this one on Vice.  

Sorry,

Tim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Sad 1

• timm525 locked this topic