Buy a Detonics Combatmaster Mk VI

Lifeguard

I'm not exactly cash flush right now.  But since firearms sales are way down, and there seem to be a lot of good prices on new ones, I thought I'd check to see if it has affected the prices on vintage handguns.  Checked Gunbroker and the only Detonics I see on there are the same 4 by the same seller who has listed them for years now.  He is asking over $1000 for all of them and no one is biting at his nonsense.  It seems like there used to be several Combatmasters coming up in the past, and quite a few around the $900 range?  I haven't seen any pop up in the last 2 years now.  Just the same 4 overpriced examples.  Has anyone seen any elsewhere?  Is $900 for a clean example pretty realistic?  

$_59.jpg

detonics_stripped.jpg

• Administrators

Yep, that was the first compact .45 I believe. I bought a Colt Officers in the early 90's. Great little gun. 

The Detonics and the Star PD were the the first production small 1911s' with the Colt Officer coming later. The Detonics is expensive and I don't know think they will ever be reintroduced again. The best advice I can offer is to save your money and bid whenever you see one you can afford. Occasionally they show up at Gun Shows, but even then the asking price is high.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/14/2017 at 11:07 AM, Gary1911A1 said:

The Detonics and the Star PD were the the first production small 1911s' with the Colt Officer coming later. The Detonics is expensive and I don't know think they will ever be reintroduced again. The best advice I can offer is to save your money and bid whenever you see one you can afford. Occasionally they show up at Gun Shows, but even then the asking price is high.

So what do you think is a fair price these days?  I used to see them on Gunbroker for $700 to $900.  There's one guy on there that has had the same 4 Detonics listed for several years now for between $1200 and $2000.  Obviously those are above what anyone is willing to pay.  But they are the only ones I have seen for years now.  I could keep saving until I can afford $1200, but since no one else is biting at that I feel foolish to pay that.  I'd always figured I'd pick one up after I got my S&Ws for around $900.  Maybe I should have gotten a Detonics back then instead of my 645-early and 6906-early?  

I'm not sure what a fair price is these days. I'd check out a large gun show as it's nice to really see before you buy and generally you can expect to pay less at most gun shows, or at least you can in my area. You could always PM the seller on GunBroker and offer him/her less. I wouldn't go over a thousand myself for a pistol parts and holsters are hard to come by. Good Luck!

39 minutes ago, Gary1911A1 said:

I'm not sure what a fair price is these days. I'd check out a large gun show as it's nice to really see before you buy and generally you can expect to pay less at most gun shows, or at least you can in my area. You could always PM the seller on GunBroker and offer him/her less. I wouldn't go over a thousand myself for a pistol parts and holsters are hard to come by. Good Luck!

Thanks.  My brother is in Ohio with you.  I'm near Chicago, so I guess I should look for some shows.  I doubt this guy will take less, he's had these four listed for several years now.  But yeah, I was thinking a thousand is the upper end.  I haven't looked into which parts the Detonics used that are universal with other 1911s, especially the springs?  

Holster wise, I want the one Crockett had.  But I still have yet to ID the manufacturer and model.  

I'm sure it was one of the early manufactures if not the original Seattle Company. Likely a Mark 6, but I'm not sure. I'll try to research it some for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detonics

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Miami_Vice_-_Season_2#Detonics_Combatmaster

Based on the pictures it could of been a Mark 1 as they were not polished.

Edited by Gary1911A1
Research.

On 9/8/2017 at 6:37 PM, Gary1911A1 said:

I'm sure it was one of the early manufactures if not the original Seattle Company. Likely a Mark 6, but I'm not sure. I'll try to research it some for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detonics

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Miami_Vice_-_Season_2#Detonics_Combatmaster

Based on the pictures it could of been a Mark 1 as they were not polished.

I've always heard it was a Mark VI ever since my earliest research into it, most of which was from this forum.  That's all I've ever shopped for.  Unless someone has some new info about it, Mark VI is what I'll keep looking for.  What I don't know about is the holster that Crockett used for it?  I have yet to find a manufacturer that resembles it.  

Interesting article on the Detonics Combatmaster:   http://www.handgunsmag.com/reviews/featured_handguns_master_121305/5/

Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 8.31.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 9.41.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 2.09.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 2.45.02 AM.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

chances are the location that your looking is playing a big part in this, change them up and look around, as their should still be a few vice era ones out there for under a K