Politics and Religion

Ferrariman

• Administrators

As some of you have noticed there have been several political topics lately that were shut down.  Although missing from the forum guidelines, it has always been the policy of this site to tread very lightly, or preferably avoid completely, topics on religion or politics.  This is in no way an attempt to silence or censor the opinions of our membership.  It's just that the past has shown us that these topics never end well.  

This site was created for the love of our favorite TV show.  There is an endless amount of information here that will satisfy the most diehard fan. Please feel free to browse and discuss it to your heart's content.  For those of you who simply must express your political or religious opinions, there are numerous sites where you can go to slug it out, but this is not one of them and it WILL NOT be tolerated here. Any future postings like the ones that were closed will also be closed and the member or members given a fair warning. Beyond that, you will be looking for another home.  Please respect our wishes and use this site for it's intended purpose, to have fun!

• Like 2

• Ferrariman pinned this topic

I appreciate you making this topic but could we request you guys at least reconsider your decision?. I understand that political discussions can be divisive at times but surely a message board devoted to a show as internationally minded as MV is the perfect place to discuss world events, especially topics that are morally unambiguous and unlikely to create conflict like the one on terrorism for instance.

It was a little disheartening to see a good topic that could've been filled with a lot of thoughtful content pre-emptively shut down, due to admins not trusting us to act sensibly. If you guys still disagree then that is perfectly fine, but I suggest you update the guidelines instead of relying on the whim of admins. I ask this in good nature and appreciate the hard work you guys do to keep the site running. Thanks. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• Administrators

Have you ever heard the phrase  "those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it"?  Well we've learned our lesson the hard way by watching the fights and arguments happen over and over. Granted the topics that were closed managed to remain pretty calm but past experience shows that sooner or later someone shows up to throw a wrench in the works and it gets ugly fast.  Sorry to say that I've seen friendships end because of these arguments.

I'm sorry but our decision stands. As I said before, there are plenty of sites to discuss these issues. Ours will simply not be one of them. And yes I do plan on updating the forum rules in the near future!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

"unlikely to create conflict like the one on terrorism for instance". Actually that thread was ripe for creating exactly that type of conflict because of the differing perspectives of the Left vs those of the Right. I know this because I do frequently participate in these 'discussions'  on a number of FB news sites where those on the Left and Right frequently engage in sparring on this subject, and on all matters of US politics. And it usually turns ugly because of ad hominem attacks. We've experienced it in here as well  though usually somewhat more civil. Agree 100%, Lou.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

"unlikely to create conflict like the one on terrorism for instance". Actually that thread was ripe for creating exactly that type of conflict because of the differing perspectives of the Left vs those of the Right. I know this because I do frequently participate in these 'discussions'  on a number of FB news sites where those on the Left and Right frequently engage in verbal sparring on this subject, and on all matters of US politics...and it usually turns ugly because of ad hominem attacks. And it has happened in here as well in threads about Trump, or the elections. Agree 100%, Lou.

Assisinge's topic wasn't about right vs left. It was about disilliusionment with our government (and terrorism in general), which co-incidendally links back to a theme of Miami Vice. It doesn't matter if we disagreed on those views, the answer to his topic was of life affirmation in the face of adversity and that's a nice positive message to have on the board i think.

1 hour ago, Ferrariman said:

Have you ever heard the phrase  "those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it"?  Well we've learned our lesson the hard way by watching the fights and arguments happen over and over. Granted the topics that were closed managed to remain pretty calm but past experience shows that sooner or later someone shows up to throw a wrench in the works and it gets ugly fast.  Sorry to say that I've seen friendships end because of these arguments.

I'm sorry but our decision stands. As I said before, there are plenty of sites to discuss these issues. Ours will simply not be one of them. And yes I do plan on updating the forum rules in the near future!

Have you heard the phrase "Censorship of anything, at any time and any place on whatever pretense has always been and always will be the last resort of the boob and the bigot" - Eugene O'Neil

7 minutes ago, Vincent Hanna said:

Assisinge's topic wasn't about right vs left. It was about disilliusionment with our government (and terrorism in general), which co-incidendally links back to a theme of Miami Vice.

Even your comment here is certainly something I don't agree with...just reread the thread and take note of the comments about 'Trump claiming both sides were at fault...which is wholly untrue'. Certainly facts not in evidence. Or that he failed to condemn the nationalists...also untrue. And incendiary comments about Sessions, as well as Trump and his admin...and on and on. The writer clearly leans left and made his anti-Trump position clear. Many, including myself do not see it that way as the facts do not support the conclusions, or more accurately, opinions. These are the differences debated now daily on various news forums, which is where this debate needs to be...not in a Miami Vice forum.  This thread was most definitely political in nature and was presented as such...that you choose to make it into something about terrorism in general is more of a side perspective.

Just now, Assasinge said:

*stands back and looks at the storm I've created*

Shoot.

All is fine Assasinge...no ill will on my part here. :cool:

• Administrators
3 hours ago, jpm1 said:

maybe you should add a line in the forum code of conduct

Working on that!

5 hours ago, Vincent Hanna said:

Have you heard the phrase "Censorship of anything, at any time and any place on whatever pretense has always been and always will be the last resort of the boob and the bigot" - Eugene O'Neil

You weren't being censored, you were simply being told that topics of this kind don't belong here.  If that makes me a boob in your eyes, so be it.  If I wanted to truly censor you the topic would've been deleted instead of locked.  As stated before, there are plenty of sites where you can go hash it out. 

6 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

I do frequently participate in these 'discussions'  on a number of FB news sites where those on the Left and Right frequently engage in sparring on this subject, and on all matters of US politics. 

Could you please post a few links to these sites for those that feel they just have to speak their minds.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ferrariman said:

Could you please post a few links to these sites for those that feel they just have to speak their minds.

F-man, even publishing those sites in here in an open forum is likely to trigger some kind of reaction from some, because I typically engage on conservative websites and Facebook forums. However there are usually any number of left leaning posters on those FB pages or websites  that will debate. I would prefer to respond to PMs for any interested because I suspect that those who really enjoy political debates have already found their preferred sites.

• Administrators
8 hours ago, jpm1 said:

maybe you should add a line in the forum code of conduct

OK.  Click on "guidelines" under the site banner and read lucky number 13

Nuff said!

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

these are definitely explosive subjects. and it's a good thing they are censored. i think that if when you vote in real life, you do it confidentially it's not for no reason

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

This is not a globalization site. Its a Miami Vice one. Thats why im here. I agree with Ferrariman.

I agree with Ferrariman. US politics is a bad topic for any forum as the US has only two parties (completely opposite - left vs right in US eyes, on international scale it’s rather middle vs. right) which naturally ends up in digital opinions and cock fights. Maybe one day the US gets a comprehensive spectrum of political parties as in all other western democracies :p  (from left over green to liberal to right) then gradually shaded discussions would be possible...

• Administrators

Thanks for the backup guys.  I truly hope that anyone who follows world news will agree that now, more than ever, is NOT a good time to get into U.S. politics!

and that's all I'm going to say about it!

1 hour ago, Ferrariman said:

Thanks for the backup guys.  I truly hope that anyone who follows world news will agree that now, more than ever, is NOT a good time to get into U.S. politics!

and that's all I'm going to say about it!

I agree. Me joining the thread :)

See the source image

Edited by RedDragon86

What is sad for me is back when I was in high school I met a guy who became my best friend and he was politically the polar opposite of me.  Years later we became roommates and would have very intelligent conversations about politics.  Some ways it could be described as spirited debates.  BUT that never led to yelling or fist fights.  We never let our beliefs ruin our friendship.  We would listen to each others viewpoints, have a counter point then move on.  Unfortunately that friend died of drug and alcohol abuse.  Today, as a person who runs his own business, I never discuss politics with clients.  I have customers who run the gambit of the political spectrum and do not want to lose them as clients so I keep my mouth zipped. I miss the old days. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to say thank you for banning politics and religion here. I am a very religious person, myself, but there are so many communities online where people are screaming at the top of their lungs about religion and politics. Especially Facebook, what a cesspool of politics and social issues! Everyone is all “think what I think or you’re dead to me”. What a nightmare!

I love it here. I think most people here treat each other with respect. =)

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 7

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hey everyone! So, I stumbled upon this forum discussion about religion and couldn't help but share my two cents. Religion is such a personal and complex topic, isn't it? I think what's important is that we all respect each other's beliefs and engage in open-minded discussions. It's fascinating how people find solace and meaning in different faiths, and it's equally important to acknowledge those who don't follow any particular religion. I have found some valuable insights about religion at firstchurchlove.com. Happy exploring, folks!

Edited by BroganGordon
  • Like 3