preparing my trip

jpaul1

Hi, i'm planning my next trip to Miami. and inevitably i have few questions. i've made myself a map with most iconic places to visit

- i'm scared to ask this. but i have to know. is O.C.B building no more?

- there's a scene with a black Mercedes once, with a Jan Hammer song at night. but i don't remember in which episode it was. only thing i remember it's that the scene looked a lot to smuggler's blues intro on Brickell bridge with the cigarette

- is there dangerous neighborhoods in Miami

- do you know a good seafood restaurant in Miami or surroundings that is really worth the try

(any other tip for a tourist that haven't been to Miami for a while is welcome)

Please don't hesitate to ask questions, I love to help.

• OCB was demolished about 10 years ago
  • black Mercedes might be Phil the Shill, but more likely Lombard.  The Lombard scene had a night time shot of a bridge (see below).  The music sounded like Jan Hammer, but it was actually U2
  • yes, bad areas are mostly around downtown and north of downtown, west of US-1,  but the Design District is in that area and it is safe and the hippest place in Miami now
  • I assume you've seen my thread  http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/12738-miami-restaurants-bars/   In terms of good seafood, I don't really know.  I don't live there and I don't eat much seafood. There are tons of expensive restaurants which I'm sure are excellent, but not so many reasonably priced places.  I've always wanted to eat at Garcia's on the Miami River because of the industrial river atmosphere, but I haven't been there yet.  Rusty Pelican has the best view in Miami, decent but not great food.

wp0_wp0_wp0_wp0_wp0_wp0_wp0_wp4137ab4d.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice list!

The Evan hangar has been demolished long ago.  On satellite you can still see the footprint of the building on the ground, but I drove by there recently and even that is gone.  The ground is being dug up for a new building.

All toll roads are now electronic, no cash accepted.  This includes the Rickenbacker Causeway.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, airtommy said:

Nice list!

The Evan hangar has been demolished long ago.  On satellite you can still see the footprint of the building on the ground, but I drove by there recently and even that is gone.  The ground is being dug up for a new building.

All toll roads are now electronic, no cash accepted.  This includes the Rickenbacker Causeway.

Thankfully in 2014 - I caught the footprint of the "Evan" hangar and background buildings seen in the teaser/ opening credits of the late Season 1 episode:hippie:

are all art deco hotels bad? i'm looking for a hotel not far away from the beach. and art deco hotels have all? noise problems. according to the internet reviews, these hotels are old now, and thus have lot of problems. i need to sleep during my trips, or i'm like a zombie all day. i know it would be liked by papa Legba, but it's not the goal actually :). do you know good hotels near the beaches (not necessarily miami beach btw. a nice clean beach will do it too). i was looking for the Mariott or the Hilton but their parking fees are very high according to internet reviews

Edited by jpm1

12 hours ago, jpm1 said:

are all art deco hotels bad? i'm looking for a hotel not far away from the beach. and art deco hotels have all? noise problems. according to the internet reviews, these hotels are old now, and thus have lot of problems. i need to sleep during my trips, or i'm like a zombie all day. i know it would be liked by papa Legba, but it's not the goal actually :). do you know good hotels near the beaches (not necessarily miami beach btw. a nice clean beach will do it too). i was looking for the Mariott or the Hilton but their parking fees are very high according to internet reviews

Try North Beach north of Miami Beach a lot quieter better value hotels - North Beach is around 68th street - 75th street Miami Beach.

Some of the Art Deco hotels in Miami Beach are rundown with more emphasis on the outdoor restaurants / bars than the hotels. It's loud and a party atmosphere at night on South Beach .

Edited by Matt5
  • Thanks 1

i think i'll book the Hilton garden inn airport west which has good reviews on the internet. a bit away from beaches but with good quality-price ratio. i hesitated with boutique 18 at north south beach, but boutique 18 is 400E more expansive. Thanks a lot

2 hours ago, jpm1 said:

i think i'll book the Hilton garden inn airport west which has good reviews on the internet. a bit away from beaches but with good quality-price ratio. i hesitated with boutique 18 at north south beach, but boutique 18 is 400E more expansive. Thanks a lot

Yes that's pretty good jpm1 - good transport links into the beaches .:hippie: 

At least you will get rest at airport 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jpm1 said:

Have you tried Hotwire.com?  I get great deals from them.  The catch is that you don't find out exactly which hotel you are booking until after you have committed.  Betterbidding.com can help you guess the hotel before you book it.

I stayed at the Catalina on Collins.  It had obnoxious loud rap music playing in the lobby all the time, yet my room was very quiet.

• Thanks 1

being near airport, is good for car renting for somebody like me that don't know very well Miami. the hilton garden west has good wifi and free parking. the bill was around 1600E (with flight) which is good for a 15 days stay in such location. as i planned to go to key west one day too, i'll try to rent a corvette cabriolet. car rentals are very cheap in Florida compared to France. if i can do it, driving Phil Collins In the air tonight street at night with a Corvette cabriolet can be fun. no, i don't want to try hotwire, if it sends me in an art deco hotel where i can't sleep, it will ruin it all. thanks, anyways :thumbsup:

• Like 1