What episode was the last of Sonny smoking?

Boca Raton

5 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

In the end, I agree with you. Because then you could also extend that way of thinking to alcohol. Granted, alcohol has a much lower addictive potential than nicotione, and the vast majority of people who like a glass now and then will never turn into alcoholics.  But the bottom line is, it is your choice. It's a lot smarter to quit smoking or never take it up in the first place if you value health and longevity, but it's your choice as an adult to do that to yourself. Even though I keep bugging my friends who still smoke to consider quitting, I have no real right to tell them to give it up.

That shouldn't mean, though, that people should get do do illegal drugs because hey, it's your choice. Most of those drugs are illegal for very good reasons. If you've ever seen a meth head up close, you know why.

Doesn't surprise me. That industry is still largely unregulated, and you never know what's really in those flavorings. And you don't know how those substances behave once they are heated to a few hundred degrees inside an e-cigarette. You can have new chemicals forming that will then be just as bad for you and your lungs as actual cigarette smoke.

Exactly!! :thumbsup:

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:57 PM, Detective_Crockett said:

One Way Ticket was the last time you see him smoking,  the phone call scene to be precise.

Yep it was in One Way Ticket. :thumbsup:   He mentions he gave it up in a later season episode as well.

• Administrators
9 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Lol, true...but oxygen isn't a chemical. That's the only thing that's supposed to be in your lungs. :dance2:

Everything is a chemical. :thumbsup:

Like Crockett I unfortunately smoke like a chimney and I'm 21 :)  

I really should "give those things up." 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James said:

Everything is a chemical. :thumbsup:

True that...technically oxygen is a chemical. I guess I was thinking more of man-made chemicals and/or ones that do harm and/or cause death. :wuerg:  Your body requires oxygen. :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Detective_Crockett said:

Yes you should if you can Detective Crockett

and great line !:hippie:

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Detective_Crockett said:

Well, what are you waiting for?

vor 7 Stunden schrieb ViceFanMan:

True that...technically oxygen is a chemical. I guess I was thinking more of man-made chemicals and/or ones that do harm and/or cause death. :wuerg:  Your body requires oxygen. :thumbsup:

Then again, oxygen and oxidation are believed to be a key factor in the aging process.

Non-oxygen breathing organisms, on the other hand, haven't evolved past the stage of single-cell bacterial goop on this planet, so we're doing alright... :):p

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Detective_Crockett:

I say enjoy the sins of your youth... you should probably really think about quitting, but at your age, you are entitled to your fair bit of debauchery :rauchen:

I was no saint at your age, I did all the bad things (well, except for illegal substances. Those never seemed appealing to me). Part of being 21 really is to do all those things... and then of course not look back one day, telling young people not to do them... ;)

It's like in that old George Carlin routine...

Edited by Daytona74

11 hours ago, Detective_Crockett said:

Yes, you should!  Studies have shown that even if a person doesn't succeed in quitting smoking the first time they try, those who keep trying are more likely to succeed eventually.  It's such a great step for your health is so many ways, I hope you will find the motivation to stop.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Love George Carlin but hate it when he gets political. Unfortunately he's usually right!

43 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

Yes, you should!  Studies have shown that even if a person doesn't succeed in quitting smoking the first time they try, those who keep trying are more likely to succeed eventually.  It's such a great step for your health is so many ways, I hope you will find the motivation to stop.

I agree with vicegirl85. It doesn't hurt tryin'. :p :thumbsup:

But of course, you also gotta have the will yourself, to stop smoking. 

Edited by summer84

It also took me a few times to manage to quit smoking for good. Everybody goes through that. Don't feel discouraged if it doesn't happen the first time around.

I just wanted to add something to the topic of legal versus illegal drugs.  As fans of this show especially, when we hear about drugs and their cost to society we tend to think of the illegal substances like cocaine, meth, etc...  It's always important to remember that alcohol and it's related health problems cost our nation more health dollars than any other substance, and it's legal.  Cigarette smoking used to be number two on the list years ago, but fortunately we've made dramatic strides thanks to PR campaigns, advertising restrictions and the like.  It's also important to remember that the most abused drugs in the nation are of the prescription variety but are being misused.  Oxycodone, hydrocodone, fentanyl etc... are part of the current opioid epidemic leading to the tragic news headlines today.  But they are legal prescription drugs and have legitimate medical uses.  Intercepting cocaine runners in South Florida sure makes for dramatic television,:) but it's just a small part of a much bigger and more complex problem.  Just some things to consider.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abuse/commonly-abused-drugs-charts

Edited by pahonu

3 hours ago, pahonu said:

I just wanted to add something to the topic of legal versus illegal drugs.  As fans of this show especially, when we hear about drugs and their cost to society we tend to think of the illegal substances like cocaine, meth, etc...  It's always important to remember that alcohol and it's related health problems cost our nation more health dollars than any other substance, and it's legal.  Cigarette smoking used to be number two on the list years ago, but fortunately we've made dramatic strides thanks to PR campaigns, advertising restrictions and the like.  It's also important to remember that the most abused drugs in the nation are of the prescription variety but are being misused.  Oxycodone, hydrocodone, fentanyl etc... are part of the current opioid epidemic leading to the tragic news headlines today.  But they are legal prescription drugs and have legitimate medical uses.  Intercepting cocaine runners in South Florida sure makes for dramatic television,:) but it's just a small part of a much bigger and more complex problem.  Just some things to consider.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abuse/commonly-abused-drugs-charts

True...but illegal drugs are "illegal" for a reason, whereas legal drugs, such as alcohol, are "legal" for a reason. Abuse of alcohol, especially long-term, is what can be detrimental to your health. But, occasional alcohol use is not, and believe it or not there are lots of studies that have basically proven that occasional alcohol use actually has health benefits. I'm not promoting going out and drinking, :) , but I am saying that alcohol is not in the same realm as illegal drugs--such as cocaine, heroine, meth, etc...!  :cheers:

Prescription drug abuse is a problem too...but they are also legal for a reason. If prescribed and taken as prescribed, most will help those who need them. Again, this is a case of abusing the prescription drugs. There is no "abuse" of cocaine, or meth, or heroine, or even pot. One use/hit/time and its automatically damaged and abused your body and brain! :wuerg:

Edited by ViceFanMan

I just can't help myself sometimes, my mind works in silly ways, it may kill you but you can't deny that it looks cool as hell, nothing like lighting up first thing in the morning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Detective_Crockett:

I just can't help myself sometimes, my mind works in silly ways, it may kill you but you can't deny that it looks cool as hell, nothing like lighting up first thing in the morning.

Eh... you get over that. At some point, you will realize that it's not cool looking as hell, but that you are a slave to your habit which commands that the first thing you must do in the morning is to light one up.

It's those rituals that make it so hard to give it up. A cigarette after getting up, another after breakfast, one right before work before you go up to your office, and yet another one on your five-minute break... one after lunch, then another five-minute break... and all that.

It is only when you have kicked your habit that you will realize how it determined your daily routine, how your daily life was centered around it and being able to have a smoke every hour or half hour.

You are well advised to give it up before your mid-20s. Because  the body starts aging from around age 25, and smoking accelerates that aging process many times over.

You can do it... :thumbsup:

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

I have been though it, took me about 5 days to get all the nicotine out of my system.  No matter what products are out there to help, It really is mind over matter... 

• Like 1

Yeah, they say the first week is the hardest part. That's when you will feel the physical effects of withdrawal. I think it was that way with me too.

After that, it's really all in your head. And you are going to have to reprogram your entire daily routine. That's why I said, you don't realize how your daily life was centered around smoking until you've quit. One of my cherished rituals was to have a cigarette out on the bedroom balcony every morning after getting up. Enjoying the morning air and taking a moment to pause while I was still waking up. These days, I still take a moment on the balcony in the morning now and then. The difference being that now, I can actually smell the morning air... :)

That's another thing about quitting. Within two or three weeks, your sense of smell returns to levels that sometimes just seem freaking amazing to you. And also, with that regained sense of smell comes the realization that you were never going to fool a non-smoker into believing that you didn't smoke. No amount of Febreze or chewing gum or deodorant was ever going to really mask the smell of cigarette smoke on you so that most non-smoking people wouldn't have noticed. Nowadays, I can smell an active smoker from ten feet away. You also realize that clothes that you haven't worn since you quit smoking still have that smoke smell in them which only really goes away after two washes.

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

Eh... you get over that. At some point, you will realize that it's not cool looking as hell, but that you are a slave to your habit which commands that the first thing you must do in the morning is to light one up.

It's those rituals that make it so hard to give it up. A cigarette after getting up, another after breakfast, one right before work before you go up to your office, and yet another one on your five-minute break... one after lunch, then another five-minute break... and all that.

It is only when you have kicked your habit that you will realize how it determined your daily routine, how your daily life was centered around it and being able to have a smoke every hour or half hour.

You are well advised to give it up before your mid-20s. Because  the body starts aging from around age 25, and smoking accelerates that aging process many times over.

15 hours ago, mvnyc said:

I have been though it, took me about 5 days to get all the nicotine out of my system.  No matter what products are out there to help, It really is mind over matter... 

I quit 5/8/01 @ 4:34pm. It was scary and hard. In some ways I didn't want to quit (psychological addiction more than the nicotine addiction) but I chose to want to quit...because I knew it was the smart and right thing. 

I started with the patch but some days I forgot to put the patch on...I then realized that if I could get to 2:00pm and not have lit up, I didn't need the patch. It then became mind over matter. But use whatever method that works...that is healthy! ;)

Also not hanging with people that smoke, or in places where people smoke helps. After the first  couple weeks it wasn't as bad as at first. It smelled nastier too, lol! But I truly noticed the increase in money left over in my checking account at the end of each week!! :dance2:

In all honesty it still looks cool in the old film noirs, Perry Mason, and early 007s--on screen! But in reality it stinks horribly, coates your lungs in nicotine as well as everything around a smoker, causes multiple kinds of cancers (lung, throat, tongue to list a few), causes lung diseases like emphysema & COPD, causes heart disease & stroke, and pollutes everyone around a smoker. 

Other than illegal drugs such as coke, heroine, or meth...smoking is one of the worst things you can do to your body! It's not gonna be easy or fun...but QUIT!!! :dance: 

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:46 PM, ViceFanMan said:

True...but illegal drugs are "illegal" for a reason, whereas legal drugs, such as alcohol, are "legal" for a reason. Abuse of alcohol, especially long-term, is what can be detrimental to your health. But, occasional alcohol use is not, and believe it or not there are lots of studies that have basically proven that occasional alcohol use actually has health benefits. I'm not promoting going out and drinking, :) , but I am saying that alcohol is not in the same realm as illegal drugs--such as cocaine, heroine, meth, etc...!  :cheers:

Prescription drug abuse is a problem too...but they are also legal for a reason. If prescribed and taken as prescribed, most will help those who need them. Again, this is a case of abusing the prescription drugs. There is no "abuse" of cocaine, or meth, or heroine, or even pot. One use/hit/time and its automatically damaged and abused your body and brain! :wuerg:

Some valid points, but I was trying to point out that it is not as simple as legal versus illegal.  There are various ways of classifying drugs' cost to society, i.e. addictiveness, clinical value, potential lethality (LD50), long-term health effects, etc...  The DEA has a somewhat arbitrary system for classification that many physicians view as mistaken yet that it what defines federal legality or not.  For example, Cannabis is listed as a schedule I drug with no clinical use and extreme addictiveness, while Methamphetamine and Cocaine are schedule II.  The scientific research shows meth as far more addictive than cannabis with no clinical value, while cannabis is routinely prescribed by doctors to cancer patients to help with wasting and stimulate appetite.  As another example, the potential for overdose death with alcohol is much higher than LSD or cannabis yet the former is illegal and the latter illegal, mostly.  To your last statement, Cocaine specifically is still used as a topical anesthetic.  It’s vasoconstrictive, which means when used in surgery, there is less bleeding at the point of incision. Ophthalmologists sometimes use it rather than lidocaine. 

I don't mean to be obtuse, but it's just not a simple as saying a drug is "illegal" for a reason.  There are many variables in play here.

https://www.dea.gov/druginfo/ds.shtml

LEsrW.jpg

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, pahonu said:

Some valid points, but I was trying to point out that it is not as simple as legal versus illegal.  There are various ways of classifying drugs' cost to society, i.e. addictiveness, clinical value, potential lethality (LD50), long-term health effects, etc...  The DEA has a somewhat arbitrary system for classification that many physicians view as mistaken yet that it what defines federal legality or not.  For example, Cannabis is listed as a schedule I drug with no clinical use and extreme addictiveness, while Methamphetamine and Cocaine are schedule II.  The scientific research shows meth as far more addictive than cannabis with no clinical value, while cannabis is routinely prescribed by doctors to cancer patients to help with wasting and stimulate appetite.  As another example, the potential for overdose death with alcohol is much higher than LSD or cannabis yet the former is illegal and the latter illegal, mostly.  To your last statement, Cocaine specifically is still used as a topical anesthetic.  It’s vasoconstrictive, which means when used in surgery, there is less bleeding at the point of incision. Ophthalmologists sometimes use it rather than lidocaine. 

I don't mean to be obtuse, but it's just not a simple as saying a drug is "illegal" for a reason.  There are many variables in play here.

https://www.dea.gov/druginfo/ds.shtml

LEsrW.jpg

There is no "perfect" answer or solution...I'm sure there are many reasons (some valid others not) why the federal government has decided which drugs are illegal and which aren't. I'm sorry but almost all illegal drugs I have no use for...I've known too many family and friends/acquaintances that drugs have literally destroyed their lives! 

I don't care what excuse people try and come up with...99% of the time it's a desperate justification to get high--and the high itself becomes very psychologically addictive regardless if there's "technically" no addictive chemical in it. Most also destroy brain cells. 

Yes...I do like a drink occasionally. But I'm not an alcoholic and I don't even like getting drunk or being around people who do. I don't need destructive chemicals to get a high...my "high" is God/my Bible, family, friends, my Camaro, and good TV---and in that order!! :thumbsup: :dance2:

• 5 years later...

I’m currently rewatching Miami Vice, the last episode he smokes in so far is Bought and Paid For & doesn’t smoke in the next three episodes.  Next episode up is Yankee Dollar, so I’ll see if he smokes in that one. 

On 3/31/2023 at 5:03 PM, llgray16 said:

I’m currently rewatching Miami Vice, the last episode he smokes in so far is Bought and Paid For & doesn’t smoke in the next three episodes.  Next episode up is Yankee Dollar, so I’ll see if he smokes in that one. 

I believe "One Way Ticket" is the last time you see Crockett smoking...at least on screen.