Beginnings for my new Youtube channel!

Dadrian

Some of you may recognize this keytar from Jan’s Vice era media. I’ve always wanted one, and it finally happened. 

Also, I’m playing with some lighting ideas for my STILL in progress :) first video:

ECAF953F-5522-4974-91F4-DFD3090B8C30.jpeg

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Some of you may recognize this keytar from Jan’s Vice era media. I’ve always wanted one, and it finally happened. 

Also, I’m playing with some lighting ideas for my STILL in progress :) first video:

ECAF953F-5522-4974-91F4-DFD3090B8C30.jpeg

This is just great @Dadrian.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is kind of a big deal for me:

After 20 years of dreaming, I finally got a Memorymoog Plus just like Jan Hammer’s. As Izzy said, “this is just the tip of the ice cube”. :) 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

After 20 years of dreaming, I finally got a Memorymoog Plus just like Jan Hammer’s. As Izzy said, “this is just the tip of the ice cube”. :) 

Congrats, @Dadrian! Keep up the fantastic work! I'm surely looking forward to another cover! ;)

45 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

30 minutes ago, Retro80sfan said:

Congrats, @Dadrian! Keep up the fantastic work! I'm surely looking forward to another cover! ;)

Thanks! Here (in no order at all) are some of the things I’m working on. The already-released titles will be demonstrations or “as they were heard on the episode” versions, and the rest will be covers of unreleased tunes. Any of these I’ve already covered is because I had wrong sounds before. I will probably never get through all these at this rate haha. 

BD91627E-F1AA-40CF-9496-7B8EC1FC0410.png

Edited by Dadrian
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

Wow, sounds exactly the same! Nice work. Looking forward to hearing the covers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The feedback is very encouraging. I appreciate all of you. 

I know the wait seems endless, but I promise I’m working on complete covers daily (little-by-little, as I’m a father/husband with two small kids, a dog, I manage a multi-million dollar wholesale company, and I have to eat and sleep a little too :) ).

Working on this music and videos is too much fun to do away with though. I will always love Miami Vice music!

• Like 1

On 9/10/2018 at 3:31 AM, Dadrian said:

The feedback is very encouraging. I appreciate all of you. 

I know the wait seems endless, but I promise I’m working on complete covers daily (little-by-little, as I’m a father/husband with two small kids, a dog, I manage a multi-million dollar wholesale company, and I have to eat and sleep a little too :) ).

Working on this music and videos is too much fun to do away with though. I will always love Miami Vice music!

I’m looking forward to these very much - you working on the Miami Vice- New York Theme(slow/ love theme ) from “Prodigal Son”/“The Fix” is a wonderful piece. 

It’s also a full 3 minute + plus piece so never sure why JH never released this?

Edited by Matt5

On 8/25/2017 at 4:00 AM, Dadrian said:

Here's a little test run I did on syncing recorded audio and video. As things progress, I will have a new YouTube channel dedicated to Jan Hammer's MV score. Check it out:

Actually sounds perfect !

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

I’m looking forward to these very much - you working on the Miami Vice- New York Theme(slow/ love theme ) from “Prodigal Son”/“The Fix” is a wonderful piece. 

It’s also a full 3 minute + plus piece so never sure why JH never released this?

I guess it’s a little repetitive and lacks multidimensional qualities that make it able to stand alone in his eyes—at least he’s made similar comments about other unreleased cues. I sure love it though! :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

This is really cool, Dadrian! Nice vids and great to know that you're "back in business"!

That is confusing about the MXR flanger. So the one you used previously was actually the right one? As in the one Jan originally used? That's what I thought seeing that you did so well with your previous covers. But with this other model you should be able to pull off the same thing and be able to do even more!?
It's funny how it has the same vibe/look/coloration of the Rockman. Or rather the Rockman Sustainor.
Those were beasts and one could do pretty much everything with that including the regular Rockman sound. http://rockman.fr/Reviews/SP.htm
But Jan didn't use these. Which is amazing because that would have given him a lot more flexibility. But then again with all that other gear that he had (like the MXR) it was already sweet enough...

Also I see that you're using Audacity? That is indeed a neat program. Amazing what one can do with it all seeing that it's free.

The amp that you have sitting on the flanger (second video) -  are you using that for MV too? Did Jan use that also??

Too bad you sold your Juno 106. Is the JU-06 really better? Usually the companies don't really nail it when recreating old analog gear. Analog as well as digital recreations. Just like that JP-08 you have there - I heard not so good things about it in comparison to the real thing. But better than nothing, right? Personally I couldn't stand playing only a one octave ? keyboard. What's up with that. Man, wouldn't it be cool if they faithfully recreated the Jupiter 8?? The only change they should make is a more modern design /coloration.

Speaking of ;-) - I'm looking forward to the day when you have recreated the Bass sound from Crockett's Theme. So many people have tried, pros and amateurs, even for decades...some came close but no cigar! Just a couple of days ago I came across that type of thread on a quite famous forum - you have to check it out. Cracks me up!! :) - ->
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1050783-i-think-i-just-nailed-one-most-discussed-baselines-ever.html

I was also on a discussion on a German synth forum. I love it how a guy comes along, apparently all pro, and says how easy it must be...just do this and that. One week later he posts again..."ok, I guess this is harder than I thought. How did he do that??" LOL. Yeah, how did he...! It really baffles me how people on boards discuss on recreating this and post their efforts - but they don't even have a clue as to what gear Jan used! Especially the Rockman.  Go figure!?

You know, previously I figured out the patch Jan used for the bass. But he did a lot of stuff with it that seems hard to recreate. Especially that "rolling sound" which I assume is a type of delay. And there's also some type of slight pitch detuning going on...? That could be the flanger/doubler.  Either way - I think it's going to be very hard to nail this unless one has a Jupiter 8 and all of Jan's original gear. So if you ever succeed Dadrian you will be officially crowned the Synth God!!  
I will keep working on it myself but it is not my priority. The sound I have tweaked from the patch is already good enough and it works well with a couple of my songs for my upcoming album. With you releasing more covers next year Dadrian and me releasing my album (fingers crossed!) plus the series remake, next year is going to be a great Miami Vice year!!

p.s.: Oh and how awesome that you now got a MemoryMoog. I'm shocked! Congrats!!

2 hours ago, Den Taylor said:

That is confusing about the MXR flanger. So the one you used previously was actually the right one? As in the one Jan originally used? That's what I thought seeing that you did so well with your previous covers. But with this other model you should be able to pull off the same thing and be able to do even more!?

The rack is smoother and has more tricks, but, yeah turns out I was right with the pedal all along. So I went back to the pedal for a good profit because it’s all I needed. 

As for the Rockman, Jan used the X100 for seasons one and two. He used the Sustainor with the Stereo/Chorus Delay in season 3 and 4. You can even see them in the 1987 Rock School BBC videos from which your old avatar came. :) 

I edit single wavs and sounds with Audacity, but I use Studio One for recording. 

The rolling bass on Crx Theme is the Jupiter 8 with the random arpeggiator (no delays, perhaps some flange or chorus). 

The JP-08 is really a lot better than the internet haters make it out to be. I have programmed many great sounds on it. It’s not as fat or warm as the original, but I can get what I need out of it as long as I stay within the four voice limit, and many others do, too—particularly that also own a Jupiter 8 and aren’t dependent upon all the crap on the internet. Anyway, I can get closer to the patch of Crx Theme bass with my Memorymoog (controlled by Triton random arp) than with the JP-08, simply because the Memorymoog is so much warmer with all analog sound path. 

Thanks for the congrats on the Memorymoog. I couldn’t be happier with it. Hopefully the Jupiter 8 will be next in a few years. :fireworks:

Also, the System 8 can pretty much nail any Jupiter 8 sound, better than the JP-08–at least what I played on it. 

Edited by Dadrian

Am 10.10.2018 um 03:29 schrieb Dadrian:

As for the Rockman, Jan used the X100 for seasons one and two. He used the Sustainor with the Stereo/Chorus Delay in season 3 and 4. You can even see them in the 1987 Rock School BBC videos from which your old avatar came. :) 

Cool, that gives me an excuse to watch that video again. haha.

Zitat

The rolling bass on Crx Theme is the Jupiter 8 with the random arpeggiator (no delays, perhaps some flange or chorus). 

Yeah I know. I have the digital Jupiter 8 emulation by Arturia and let me tell you - there is some added effect to it. It is not just the Arp on Random and that's it. Trust me, I've tried. ;-) Then again maybe Arturia is just not the best emulation.? Though it does sound great to me and most give it favorable reviews (in comparison to the real thing). I assume Jan sent the Jupiter 8 sequence through the Rockman and maybe that was all that is needed to give off that smooth "rolling pitchy sound". Have you actually tried sending your recreation attempt through the Rocklman, Dadrian? It is also possible that Jan played the arp manually or at least parts of it, maybe using the Fairlight sequencer. With Jan anything is possible!

• Like 1

I have the Arturia 8V also. I like some things about it, but I can get more of what I want from the toy JP-08 somehow. 

As for Crx theme arp. bass, I do suspect, as I said, there could be some outside modulation from maybe the MXR Flanger or the Stereo Chorus/Delay (Rock Module). 

Here’s what’s missing on all the emulations (to my ears): cycling voices. Along with the random arpeggiator of 2 octaves, the random choice of 8 all analog voices makes for a very organic product on that Jupiter 8 track. I ran ran the pattern thru my Memorymoog on a patch I whipped up, and BAM, something I'd tried for years almost nailed in just a few minutes. I will post a video sometime! 

Oh and my little amp is just a Fender Mustang I got for $50 used. It does a GREAT clean tube amp emulation though. Sounds pretty much just like the clean channel of the old Sundown I sold years ago, only I don’t have to worry about tubes or mics, and it weighs like 5 lbs :) 

Edited by Dadrian

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Dadrian:

Here’s what’s missing on all the emulations (to my ears): cycling voices. Along with the random arpeggiator of 2 octaves, the random choice of 8 all analog voices makes for a very organic product on that Jupiter 8 track. 

That rings true - though I'm not exactly sure what you mean with 'cycling voices'. The Arturia has 32 voices of polyphony and you can do all kinds of tweaking with the oscillators. Just like with the original Jupiter 8. So I'm thinking it should still be posssible to recreate that sound. You know what got me closest? When I also applied outside EQing to it. Which makes me wonder as to how much EQing Jan actually ever did? Did/does he have a mixing console? I think he said in an interview once that he does the mixing mostly himself. But not sure if that applied for the MV days too. Considering the Rockman that's actually a EQ machine right there.

Zitat

I ran ran the pattern thru my Memorymoog on a patch I whipped up, and BAM, something I'd tried for years almost nailed in just a few minutes. I will post a video sometime! 

Please do!  Best when it's with a 1 to 1 comparison. Once I started doing direct comparisons (first 5 seconds of the extended version) it became a bit discouraging for me lol. And most people in forums never post a comparison - go figure. ;-) (But they are mostly close, I admit)

When you hit the same note over and over on a hardware JP-8 or Memorymoog, it’s not playing from the same voice every time. It’s any one of the 8 on the Jup and 6 on the Memorymoog. So when you play them fast on the same note over and over, you can hear a bit of variance between them, because it’s only a 1 on 8 or 6 chance of it being the same voice—even though it’s the same patch with the same oscillators. The calibration of voices is just a little off at times, and it’s part of the magic of analog poly synths. 

During the MV years, Jan was using a Soundcraft 1600 for a console. They are great vintage boards that were made in the early 1980s. Many pros used them,  and some still do. He also had some nice outboard dynamics by Universal and the like. Completely capturing the detail of his final products from back then would be next to impossible, even if you had all the gear. I tell myself this when I start splitting hairs haha. 

Edited by Dadrian

• 4 months later...
On 3/9/2019 at 10:06 PM, Dadrian said:

Wait for it...

It sounds like early Season 1, and I know the cue, but I can't remember the episode. I want to say Heart of Darkness whenever they're about to kill Crockett & Tubbs? "You sure you're up for the job, Artie?"

• Like 1