Evan

FerrariDaytonaSpyder

So I just browsed thirteen pages of "Episode" threads so I could add my two cents to the "Evan" thread I was sure existed already and not start a new one.  Imagine my surprise when going through the threads twice - TWICE, mind you - that there was not an "Evan"-dedicated thread.  I intend on righting that wrong right now, lol!

A little backstory, first.  When I was a kid (I was thirteen), we programmed our VCR (!) one Friday night when we knew we weren't going to be home so we could record Miami Vice in our absence.  The episode, as you may have guessed, was "Evan."  My family watched it, and then when my brother and I were bored, and because we liked MV, we would just watch that episode over and over.  As a result, even as a young teen, I developed an appreciation for it.  It'd been a while since I'd seen it, though, as Netflix wouldn't stream that episode, no channel (Sleuth, Esquire, Spike) ever broadcast it (to my knowledge), and my DVDs are in a box somewhere as we are in the process of doing some remodeling and the discs are not readily at hand.

I picked up the Blu-Ray set earlier this summer, and I am making my way through the series in chronological order.  Today happened to be "Evan" day.  I had forgotten how good this episode really is, and that's not the thirteen-year-old me talking.  I was trying to be as objective as possible when I watched today, and I was so impressed with all of the layers to this episode.  Peter Gabriel's songs ("Rhythm of the Heat" to kick it off and "Biko" at the end) were absolutely perfect selections in my opinion.  I could get into why, but I'll spare you.  Jan Hammer's score was so, so good.  It really managed to capture whatever the scene was calling for (tension, relief [as Sonny finally unloaded all of his memories on Tubbs at the gas station]).  There was the depth of relationship established after Sonny confided in Rico.  William Russ played Evan Freed chillingly well.  I really felt his pain as he accused Crockett of perfection on the St. Vitus Dance, and felt his remorse in the conference room.  There was the regret Sonny expressed as he recounted not being able to deal with something (in 1985, no less) that some still struggle with today.  I even felt that Guzman was just quiet enough to be a good villain.  You know what they say, you can't trust the quiet ones.  I cannot say enough about this episode.  I feel like the distance between today and when I last saw this episode allows me to say that, in my opinion, if it isn't the best episode, it's top three, for sure.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, FerrariDaytonaSpyder said:

Gotcha, thanks!  Sorry for the extra thread!

No worries! Just thought you might like to read thru those. Some great posts on arguably the best episode. :thumbsup:

• Like 1