Hurricane Irma

Lifeguard

6 minutes ago, Boca Raton said:

I'm more scared than I've ever been.

that being said- why no episode set in a hurricane?

There's an episode with hurricane in the title......does that count?   Actually there is an odd lack of rain and thunderstorms in the episodes.  You will see some evidence in scenes of recent rain before shooting, but you don't do see it raining much.  Anyone who has lived in Florida can tell you that during the wet season (there are only two seasons, wet is May to October), you can set your watch by the daily afternoon convection thunderstorms.  But the series never really showed that day to day Florida life.

BTW, saw a posting on the news for volunteering and donating for Irma:

https://www.volunteerflorida.org/irma/

35 minutes ago, Lifeguard said:

There's an episode with hurricane in the title......does that count?   Actually there is an odd lack of rain and thunderstorms in the episodes.  You will see some evidence in scenes of recent rain before shooting, but you don't do see it raining much.  Anyone who has lived in Florida can tell you that during the wet season (there are only two seasons, wet is May to October), you can set your watch by the daily afternoon convection thunderstorms.  But the series never really showed that day to day Florida life.

BTW, saw a posting on the news for volunteering and donating for Irma:

https://www.volunteerflorida.org/irma/

Well to be fair it's always wet & dry all the time & PMT sweats but no Bogard Key Largo episode which is shocking 

23 minutes ago, Boca Raton said:

Well to be fair it's always wet & dry all the time & PMT sweats but no Bogard Key Largo episode which is shocking 

But you don't have the daily thunderstorms during the dry, or winter/tourist, season.  It is almost always humid tho.

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:42 PM, miamijimf said:

The Red Cross does a lot of good and always needs volunteers.

You may not hear from those of us on Fla's West Coast for a while either, Timm, Tony, and me.  We'll still be alive and kickin' but power outages are a real possibility.  I know how to prepare since I am originally a Miamian and have been through some bad hurricanes and even one before they gave them names.  I'm as ready as I can be and plan to stick it out.  Good luck to all and thumbs up!  :thumbsup:

Jim You staying? Looks like it is coming right thru Naples up to you.

I'm in the Tampa Bay area, New Port Richey.  We may not get hit as hard as Miami but we are preparing with sandbags  & storing water & food.

As long as we have power, I'll try to check in every day to say hello & see how everyone is doing.

@ Lifeguard............ It is probably very hard to film scenes in a rainstorm so that's why we don't see any in Miami Vice. There is a scene where Tubbs is getting light rain on his jacket. I think it's in "One Eyed Jack".

• Like 1

• Administrators

Here's a simulation of what Miami could look like after the potential flooding...

Anyone stuck there would need Noah's ark.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Tony D. said:

I'm in the Tampa Bay area, New Port Richey.  We may not get hit as hard as Miami but we are preparing with sandbags  & storing water & food.

As long as we have power, I'll try to check in every day to say hello & see how everyone is doing.

@ Lifeguard............ It is probably very hard to film scenes in a rainstorm so that's why we don't see any in Miami Vice. There is a scene where Tubbs is getting light rain on his jacket. I think it's in "One Eyed Jack".

7 minutes ago, James said:

Here's a simulation of what Miami could look like after the potential flooding...

Anyone stuck there would need Noah's ark.

Yeah, I remember the rain and the wet location they had to wrestle at.  They really seemed to work through that shoot despite the weather.  

I'm watching the latest models now and the storm is drifting farther west than projected, so it is quite possible that the 12 foot storm surge from the eye may be expected in Naples instead of hitting the Everglades.  If it keeps moving west tho, Sarasota and Tampa may be the targets for the eye and see the most storm surge.  But given this storm is so huge, it may not matter much where the eye hits for the rest of Florida.  And keeping the sustained 185mph winds, this will be the most powerful hurricane to hit major population areas.  This is really something like we've never seen here before, it's big and it's violent.

Flooding is going to be very different for Miami than for Houston or New Orleans.  The whole thing is flat, maybe getting up to 15 feet above sea level.  The surge may go that far, but being all the roadways empty out toward the ocean, it will drain fairly quickly, like a sieve.  New Orleans was all below sea level with earthen and concrete walls around it, while Houston is upland with natural river basins, both of these bottleneck while draining.  Miami and much of the coast will just be wide and flat drainage, and shouldn't have as much standing water afterwards.  When i lived down in the Sarasota area, most storm flood damage was not from surge, but from blocked drainage canals.

if you are in a solid room, there's no need to be scared. if i were a Floridian, i'd have fled away though. Cuba is struck badly right now. and the festivities have started in the keys. only good news it has now turned into a cat. 4, but it may not stay that way..

Edited by jpm1

8 hours ago, Tony D. said:

Tony, hopefully you've seen that the path of the storm is now focused on the WEST side of the state...right up in your direction.

Stay safe everyone down there, especially those up the west coast from Naples up past Tampa. I heard there may be 8 to 12 foot storm surges down in Naples and Ft Myers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

Tony, hopefully you've seen that the path of the storm is now focused on the WEST side of the state...right up in your direction.

Stay safe everyone down there, especially those up the west coast from Naples up past Tampa. I heard there may be 8 to 12 foot storm surges down in Naples and Ft Myers.

Yeah, it looks like Miami's surge is going smaller and mainly wind damage.  But the eye is being projected to hug the west coast which is really bad for them, it will drag the eye wall surge across a lot of real estate.  I think the best case scenario would have been the original prediction of the eye and its wall surge hitting the Everglades on the tip and draining its power as it rolled up the middle of the peninsula. :(

this is what i was thinking few days ago. how cool it would be to be a journalist in Miami covering the event right now. roaming the town like if there was a zombies invasion you know. the drone pictures are quite fascinating. i mean when nature decides to show its power, humans flee away like ants you know :)

Edited by jpm1

2 hours ago, jpm1 said:

I'd also recommend people check out Jeff Piotrowski. He's a longtime storm chaser and did a very good job in the hurricane that went through Texas and he does a lot of live streaming on his Twitter page from wherever he's at.

https://twitter.com/Jeff_Piotrowski

Also this is making the rounds on Reddit. A very good full explanation of what's going on with this storm from a forecaster in Mobile, Alabama.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Looks like it's going more on the west side of Florida and weakening, meaning Miami may only get the outer-band of it. Good for Miami, but The Keys and the west side of the state will still be a direct hit. 

irma.jpg

A category 3 can still be pretty violent. 

Hi everyone! Today we blocked our doors with sandbags and are hoping to keep IRMA out!

Sunday Sept. 10th is our 50th Wedding Anniversary..........what a way to celebrate!  :p

Oh well, we'll have a drink & watch the storm. :cheers:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, James said:

Looks like it's going more on the west side of Florida and weakening, meaning Miami may only get the outer-band of it. Good for Miami, but The Keys and the west side of the state will still be a direct hit. 

irma.jpg

A category 3 can still be pretty violent. 

The projection can be misleading.  The yellow sections to either side are projections as to how far east or west the eye wall of the storm may travel.  The actual storm is wider than the entire state.  It will still cover the east coast too in hurricane winds.  But since the eye will be over water the length of Florida, it will main hurricane strength until the panhandle.  Because hurricanes spin counter clockwise, that means the winds to the east are blowing into the coastline.   This will cause storm surge onto that coast too, despite the surge from the eye wall being on the west side.  This is probably worse than if the eye traveled up the east coast, and certain would have been better if the eye just hit the Everglades and went inland like original projections. :( 

My thoughts and prayers to the residents of Florida.  I saw this article today and thought you all would enjoy it.  A husband is determined to protect his vintage 1987 car.  Read and enjoy. http://www.tampabay.com/news/weather/hurricanes/i-have-a-car-in-my-f-------living-room-man-accepts-wifes-challenge-to/2336892

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Said by 70 year old Rose DeMerle, who played an extra on Miami Vice. From an article. 

"Show producers were always eager to emphasize the warmer climate, she remembered, recalling a cool day in the middle of winter when she shivered through a take while wearing what most of America would think of as authentic Miami attire."

I only recall powerful rain in "The Dutch Oven" and "A Bullet for Crockett" with both Trudy and Tubbs looking through the window, while it's raining. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, summer84 said:

Said by 70 year old Rose DeMerle, who played an extra on Miami Vice. From an article. 

"Show producers were always eager to emphasize the warmer climate, she remembered, recalling a cool day in the middle of winter when she shivered through a take while wearing what most of America would think of as authentic Miami attire."

I only recall powerful rain in "The Dutch Oven" and "A Bullet for Crockett" with both Trudy and Tubbs looking through the window, while it's raining. 

there is cool tropical rain moment in milk run too. i wanted to visit the senator pool just for that reason. sadly the building is no more :thumbsdown:. cat.3 is better than cat.5, but sadly i think it's a matter of time when a cat.5 (maybe cat.6) will hit Florida :wuerg:. i don't want to be pessimistic, but i really don't see how it could be other way. not only Florida will drink to it btw :rolleyes: